WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

late december 2015 what a night

Didn't the Appalachian Mountains used to be as big as the Rockies back in the day? Maybe they just keep evolving. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Good to know about the short license possibility. It is just the Reader that I mentioned. It's handy to have on the Kindle, I rarely use the send to Kindle feature anymore. I'm a big fan of Evernote myself, and if there is something I want to grab off the Internet, I just clip it to Evernote. Pdfs go to my cloud drive and then I can open them on the Kindle with the reader if I want to. There is an Evernote add-in for pdfs but it is clunkier than Adobe.
    I've been using Evernote premium for the last couple of years and the web clipper is great. Once I finally sorted things out into notebooks and tags, it does a great job suggesting notebooks, etc. for clipped materials. As much as I like Evernote, I'd really like to move everything to OneNote since I have it as a part of my Office 365 subscription and it uses OneDrive as its online component, but haven't found a decent converter. A while ago I did a "cloud consolidation" and selected up on OneDrive for a number of reasons, but find things getting "cloudy" again with OneDrive, Adobe Document and Creative clouds, and Evernote.
    Last edited by Offshore; 01-31-2016 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by aka.cyberman View Post
    Didn't the Appalachian Mountains used to be as big as the Rockies back in the day? Maybe they just keep evolving. IDK.
    Geologist here - The Appalachians are far older than the Rockies (in terms of the events that led to their uplifting) and were thought to be bigger than the Rockies at their "peak". They may or may not keep evolving, but they most definitely keep eroding. So the next time your water filter clogs on the trail, don't get annoyed - embrace the natural history.

Thanks for clarifying that Offshore

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I emailed the Guide pdf format to my Kindle using the Convert on the subject line, which has worked for other pdfs, and it was a huge mess. Deleted the mess, then emailed it unconverted, it works great now.
    I tried that first, but didn't like the result. A pdf on Kindle cannot be searched, and font cannot be changed. That's what I use the OCR and LibreOffice Writer (or MS Word) and Calibre for.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Geologist here - The Appalachians are far older than the Rockies (in terms of the events that led to their uplifting) and were thought to be bigger than the Rockies at their "peak". They may or may not keep evolving, but they most definitely keep eroding. So the next time your water filter clogs on the trail, don't get annoyed - embrace the natural history.
    I have read several times that it is possible that the Appalachians were at one time 50,000ft high!!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I've been using Evernote premium for the last couple of years and the web clipper is great. Once I finally sorted things out into notebooks and tags, it does a great job suggesting notebooks, etc. for clipped materials. As much as I like Evernote, I'd really like to move everything to OneNote since I have it as a part of my Office 365 subscription and it uses OneDrive as its online component, but haven't found a decent converter. A while ago I did a "cloud consolidation" and selected up on OneDrive for a number of reasons, but find things getting "cloudy" again with OneDrive, Adobe Document and Creative clouds, and Evernote.
    I tried using Onenote due to the Office integration as well but I found I liked Evernote better. The forty or so bucks for the premium version is worth it in my opinion. Evernote really shines with the cross device integration, at least on the Android side of things. Then I just use Google Drive for cloud storage.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by aka.cyberman View Post
    There have been at two major uplifts, one about 500 million years ago, the second about 300 million years ago, a third impacted some of the range about 150 million years ago. Altitudes are calculated to rival that of the Himalayan range during these periods. Its a very impressive range geologically speaking that have some unique features like the Tyringham Cobble, where the strata at the base is younger than the strata at the top that led to a series of scientific studies combined with other unique areas having similar characteristics that eventually led to tectonic plate theory and the study of uplift in mountain ranges. We sometimes take for granted the complexity of the rocks we walk over and sometimes swear at.

I'm willing to concede tectonic plate action with so much recent volcano incidence, but I was also enlightened and amused by Jon Krakauer's thorough investigation of mountain height competition over the last several centuries as to theolodite usage and modern technology in his book, "Eiger Dreams". It reminded me of the Mt. Mitchell vs. Clingman's Dome controversy. Also on my mind, though, is the new construction at Fontana Dam I experienced last April in 2015. The visitor/tourism place was opened unusually early, and I was told it was just something they were doing, but it looked huge-scale and I wondered about vehicle and hiker access in the future. Perhaps the gates locking access to the bridge were just safety measures to do with the construction. Any real connection to the height? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner 70 View Post
    I'm willing to concede tectonic plate action with so much recent volcano incidence, but I was also enlightened and amused by Jon Krakauer's thorough investigation of mountain height competition over the last several centuries as to theolodite usage and modern technology in his book, "Eiger Dreams". It reminded me of the Mt. Mitchell vs. Clingman's Dome controversy. Also on my mind, though, is the new construction at Fontana Dam I experienced last April in 2015. The visitor/tourism place was opened unusually early, and I was told it was just something they were doing, but it looked huge-scale and I wondered about vehicle and hiker access in the future. Perhaps the gates locking access to the bridge were just safety measures to do with the construction. Any real connection to the height? I don't know.
    "THEODOLITE", sorry!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++