WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

+1 on the lumbar pad. For me it was absolutely necessary as the lower frame crossbar caused discomfort in the lumbar/sacrum area even with a very light load. With the lumbar pad, no problems at all.

...and another + for the lumbar pad; I am pretty lean and the pad adds a ton of comfort for me.

Images

I added the lumbar pad this season, and it helps a lot to prevent the pack from sliding down my hips.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Probably less of a hassle for Zpacks to make it an included feature and not an option. From every rough sample I've gathered on forums, the people who need it far outnumber those who don't. Nowadays I would advise anybody ordering the Haul or Blast to automatically order the lumbar pad as well. IME it is totally unnecessary for the older style (non-lower crossbar) Arc Blasts, at least for me.

Images

My last pack was the Osprey Exos 48. I have no complaints about the pack, but was ready to take the next step to lighter pack. I spent quite a bit of time researching what would work best for me and my style of backpacking.

When I made my purchase I went with the Arc Haul. I have managed to put a few hundred miles on it now and am beyond pleased with my pack. I feel it is definitely worth the investment – Not just because of the weight, but because of the way it fits me. YMMV.

When I was ordering my pack I went ahead and ordered the extra features I wanted for my pack. I wasn’t sure if I would always use some of the items for every trip, but felt that I had enough dual-uses for each item that I would not be out anything if I changed my mind and removed it from the pack.

Below are the options I added to my pack:

Lumbar Pad – (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml) I wasn’t sure if I would really need this item when I added this to the cart. This lumbar pad has turned out to be quite necessary for me. Without it the bar does dig into my back a little. Nothing painful with my average load, but I can see how it could be an issue on long trips, or with a heavier load.

Multi-pack – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml) I opted to add this to my pack to be used as a “brain” rather than use it as a front pouch. I like to be able to have an unobstructed view of my feet when I hike. I also like to have certain items (tp, maps, coat, snacks, etc) easy to access during the day. The bonus is I can always disconnect this from my pack and hike without it. Or, I can use it as a purse/fanny pack for carrying valuables when I am in town. I can also use it for the same purpose when I do other traveling for work.

Belt Pouches – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml) Of all the packs I have owned, these pouches are by far the most accessible and biggest pouches I have had. I can carry cameras, snacks, allergy medicines, etc in these pouches and still have plenty of room. The bonus is that they are removable if I ever find that I am not using them, or find that I am only using one pouch during my hikes.

Shoulder Pouch – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml) I ordered a left shoulder pouch in case I wanted to store my phone, or camera in an easy to access spot. I have found that with the belt pouches being as deep as they are, I might be removing this shoulder pouch. I simply am not using it as much as I thought I would. With my Osprey I had used an after-market shoulder pouch for my phone… Looks like I won’t be needing that feature on this pack!

Key Zip Pouch – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml#key) I added this because I hate digging through my pack for keys, ID, and money. This keeps things easy to access, especially when I opt to leave the multipack at home.

Top Side Pocket (Right) – (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml) I ordered a top side pocket to hold things during trips when I need to carry more stuff. My tent resides in the back mesh pocket along with my jacket on rainy days. This side pocket can hold my cook set and fuel or my water filter for easy access. This pocket will most likely find itself jumping on and off my pack between trips. For my shorter trips I definitely have enough room within my pack to carry things. On longer trips involving more food, this pocket will come in handy for reducing some bulk inside my pack.

Just as an additional bit of information for anyone considering an Arc Blast or Arc Haul - The exterior water bottle pockets are deep enough/big enough that I can stick my hydration bladder in the outside pocket. This allows me easy access for refilling and I prefer to keep wet things outside my pack (whenever possible).

Images

I ended up placing my order. I went with Lumbar pad, hip belt pockets, shoulder pouch, key zip pouches, and shock chord lashing for the trekking poles.
    Now to play the waiting game....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frontovik193 View Post
    I ended up placing my order. I went with Lumbar pad, hip belt pockets, shoulder pouch, key zip pouches, and shock chord lashing for the trekking poles.
    Now to play the waiting game....
    ...now I'm thinking I should add a lumbar pad to my order placed 2 weeks ago...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    ...now I'm thinking I should add a lumbar pad to my order placed 2 weeks ago...
    You can always order it later if you find that you need it. I have an older ArcBlast with a lumbar pad, and a new ArcHaul without, and both fit me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    My last pack was the Osprey Exos 48. I have no complaints about the pack, but was ready to take the next step to lighter pack. I spent quite a bit of time researching what would work best for me and my style of backpacking.

When I made my purchase I went with the Arc Haul. I have managed to put a few hundred miles on it now and am beyond pleased with my pack. I feel it is definitely worth the investment – Not just because of the weight, but because of the way it fits me. YMMV.

When I was ordering my pack I went ahead and ordered the extra features I wanted for my pack. I wasn’t sure if I would always use some of the items for every trip, but felt that I had enough dual-uses for each item that I would not be out anything if I changed my mind and removed it from the pack.

Below are the options I added to my pack:

Lumbar Pad – (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml) I wasn’t sure if I would really need this item when I added this to the cart. This lumbar pad has turned out to be quite necessary for me. Without it the bar does dig into my back a little. Nothing painful with my average load, but I can see how it could be an issue on long trips, or with a heavier load.

Multi-pack – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml) I opted to add this to my pack to be used as a “brain” rather than use it as a front pouch. I like to be able to have an unobstructed view of my feet when I hike. I also like to have certain items (tp, maps, coat, snacks, etc) easy to access during the day. The bonus is I can always disconnect this from my pack and hike without it. Or, I can use it as a purse/fanny pack for carrying valuables when I am in town. I can also use it for the same purpose when I do other traveling for work.

Belt Pouches – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml) Of all the packs I have owned, these pouches are by far the most accessible and biggest pouches I have had. I can carry cameras, snacks, allergy medicines, etc in these pouches and still have plenty of room. The bonus is that they are removable if I ever find that I am not using them, or find that I am only using one pouch during my hikes.

Shoulder Pouch – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml) I ordered a left shoulder pouch in case I wanted to store my phone, or camera in an easy to access spot. I have found that with the belt pouches being as deep as they are, I might be removing this shoulder pouch. I simply am not using it as much as I thought I would. With my Osprey I had used an after-market shoulder pouch for my phone… Looks like I won’t be needing that feature on this pack!

Key Zip Pouch – (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml#key) I added this because I hate digging through my pack for keys, ID, and money. This keeps things easy to access, especially when I opt to leave the multipack at home.

Top Side Pocket (Right) – (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml) I ordered a top side pocket to hold things during trips when I need to carry more stuff. My tent resides in the back mesh pocket along with my jacket on rainy days. This side pocket can hold my cook set and fuel or my water filter for easy access. This pocket will most likely find itself jumping on and off my pack between trips. For my shorter trips I definitely have enough room within my pack to carry things. On longer trips involving more food, this pocket will come in handy for reducing some bulk inside my pack.

Just as an additional bit of information for anyone considering an Arc Blast or Arc Haul - The exterior water bottle pockets are deep enough/big enough that I can stick my hydration bladder in the outside pocket. This allows me easy access for refilling and I prefer to keep wet things outside my pack (whenever possible).
    Wow, that's a seriously pimped-out backpack! How big is your hydration bladder? Do you find it makes the pack a little lopsided when it's full? I've been trying to figure out where the bladder would fit best in an Arc Haul. Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shug View Post
    Wow, that's a seriously pimped-out backpack! How big is your hydration bladder? Do you find it makes the pack a little lopsided when it's full? I've been trying to figure out where the bladder would fit best in an Arc Haul. Thanks.
    Ha! Well my pack doesn't have undercarriage lights or thumping of deep base, but it'll do. I waited quite a while and thought long and hard about what I wanted/might want in my pack. I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I use a Hydrapak 3L bladder. I usually carry it less than full, but it allows me the option to carry more if needed. This bladder is a little more narrow than other bladders I have owned, so it's a good fit in the water bottle pocket. To offset the weight, I use my food bag as a counter-balance. Keep in mind water weight really is a fluid weight. If you are drinking as you go the weight does decrease.

As for the best place for a water bladder in the Arc Haul, I think it really depends on what bladder you have. Some have a wider build, others more narrow, etc. I started with my preference for wet stuff to be carried outside the pack (and away from my dry quilt). From there the choice was pretty easy. It all depends on what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Ha! Well my pack doesn't have undercarriage lights or thumping of deep base, but it'll do. I waited quite a while and thought long and hard about what I wanted/might want in my pack. I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I use a Hydrapak 3L bladder. I usually carry it less than full, but it allows me the option to carry more if needed. This bladder is a little more narrow than other bladders I have owned, so it's a good fit in the water bottle pocket. To offset the weight, I use my food bag as a counter-balance. Keep in mind water weight really is a fluid weight. If you are drinking as you go the weight does decrease.

As for the best place for a water bladder in the Arc Haul, I think it really depends on what bladder you have. Some have a wider build, others more narrow, etc. I started with my preference for wet stuff to be carried outside the pack (and away from my dry quilt). From there the choice was pretty easy. It all depends on what works best for you.
    Thanks! I'll likely try a few set-ups. I'm used to carrying the bladder in a sleeve within a pack, but, alas, that--and undercarriage lights--are not an option on the Arc Haul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++