WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ZPacks Arc Haul feature questions

For those that have the ZPacks Arc Haul, I am curious about the features, especially if you have used the pack on the trail. In particular, I am curious about the belt pockets. I have used pockets in my Osprey Exos and other packs for small incidental items from time to time, but generally don't keep much in them. However without having a top lid where I normally keep a rain jacket, first aid kit, and maybe a toiletry kit (toilet paper), Steri-pen, and perhaps other odds and ends such as a cell phone or head lamp from time to time, I think I would use the belt pockets often on this pack. Any insight from others in how useful you find these pockets and maybe a sampling of what you keep in them would be useful.

I am thinking that the first aid kit and rain jacket and maybe some other items could ride in the back mesh pocket okay. However I also have some concern as to whether these items might fall out of the mesh pocket during trail use. So, I guess that's another question - how secure do you feel items in the large mesh pocket are? I usually try to keep my tent, sleeping bag, clothing bag, etc. inside my pack. I use a Tarptent Double rainbow unless I am hammocking, and it doesn't seem it would fit well in the outside mesh pocket. Is there plenty of room inside the pack to contain most items and only use the mesh pocket in case of need for wet gear, camp shoes, rain gear, or the other small things that I might want handy? Someone had mentioned somewhere about having the large mesh pocket split in half horizontally as a custom feature on, I think, an Arc Blast. This might be intriguing to keep wet gear separate from things I just want to keep handy. Does anyone wish they had done that?

I also seldom use side pockets for anything beyond holding my trekking poles when not in use or a snow stake (see below), as I use a water bottle and hydration tubing for water on the trail, and even if I carry extra water, I dislike having it on the outside of the pack getting warm. Do those of you using a hydration bladder with this pack, do you miss the hydration pocket?

Finally, I like to clip a few things onto attachment points of the pack such as a mini-carabineer to hold a bottle of hand sanitizer, a pinch light (usually combined on one) and a snow stake that I use as a trowel, which I usually slide into a side pocket and use a bit of cord to attach it to one of the loops that compression straps fit through. It looks like this would still be feasible with the Haul.

I am about to bite the bullet and order quickly hoping to receive it my Mid-April, so any quick insight is appreciated.

I can't speak to the Ark Haul but I don't think there are many differences other then the material of the main body from a Arc Blast which I do have.
    The hip belt pockets are the same, they are pretty nice in size and water proof. The large back mesh pocket is great in my opinion, I stuff it with more then is recommended I'm sure and it does great. I carry small items in it also and have never lost anything. I clip on extra stuff like creek shoes and what nots with no issues. I use the side pockets for 700ml Smartwater bottles and have extra room for snacks, beanie, ect...
    Something you might consider for the little extra room because it doesn't have a top pocket is a ZPacks Multi-Pack (http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml), I use my to keep my snacks, maps, bandana, that kind of stuff. It's waterproof also.
    Hope this helps, good luck with you purchase. I bought my wife a ULA Ohm last fall when it was on sale on MassDrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ula-ohm...%20Promotional). It's a great pack, she's used it on 2 trips now and she's very happy with it. I'm wishing I had got her a Arc Blast though. We have a trip to Colorado coming this summer and I'd like to keep her load as light as possible.

OgtheKing

Journal Entries

Belt pockets are no more useful than a ziplock in a mesh pocket. They are less water tight, and weigh more.

Type A personalities are gear makers dreams.

You cant fiddle with pocket while hiking really, so whatever you need you can get when you stop. And the most accessible place, is the big rear mesh pocket.

This only applies if your pack is light enough that taking it off an on isnt even a bother. If you are hauling around a 40 lb pack, then you probably dont want to be taking it off. If it weighs under 25, lbs, its not an issue .

How would anything fall out? Do you wear your pack upside down or something?

I do use a belt pocket with my arc blast when I really cram colder weather gear into it, like 2 quilts and heavy jacket, just because it gives extra room. Most of year I just put items in a ziplock and put into mesh pocket.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-25-2016 at 21:22.

I have seen several mentions of putting wet stuff to dry in the back (front?) mesh pocket of current backpacks. Don't see how I'd believe that. Consider - a wet tarp bunched up and stuffed how does the water get from the inner folds and crevices out?
    Well I guess I'm going to find out as my Arc Blast came in today!
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

I have an Arc Haul, used it on two trips last summer.

I love hip belt pockets -- had them on my two previous packs. Snacks and drink mixes on the left, Purell, powder, and other small useful stuff on the right. Gloves and a hat in cool weather. Sunscreen. Water treatment tabs. Whatever. (I carry a third pocket in the form of a small waist pack, with my camera, wallet, headlamp, maps, etc.)

Nothing has ever fallen out of the big mesh pocket, on this or my other lightweight packs. I keep my rain shell, wind shirt, TP, even my lightweight tent -- everything jams in pretty well. I do use the side pockets for water bottles; tried bladders for a couple of years and went back. Not sure where to put a bladder in the Arc Haul but I recall it does have a slot for the hose.

The Arc Haul fits me and carries pretty well. I like the features, especially the seam taping and the roll top. My base weight is 15-18 pounds depending on season, and 25-30 total leaving the trailhead. It's quite good with this weight, at least for me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thank you to all who responded. I appreciate your insight. MuddyWaters, I was thinking more along the lines of pressure from movement causing something to pop out of the rear pocket, bending, straightening, that type of thing. I guess I've seen one too many dropped water bottles, bandannas, etc. along the trail, even picked one or two up when hiking with a group that was dropped by someone ahead of me. Or perhaps falling out when I take a pack-off break and me not noticing it. If the top of the pocket is pretty snug against the pack this shouldn't be an issue I guess. I know some of the shove-it pockets seem actually tighter at the bottom than at the top. I think the one on my Osprey Exos is like that. But in ZPacks photos, it does look like the mesh is looser at the bottom than the top.

ogtheking, I was thinking about the multi-pack but I thought it looked a little awkward as a top lid, and I don't think I would ever wear a chest pack, particularly as a female hiker with enough bulk in that area anyway. I might eventually end up ordering it anyway, but thought I might try the hip pockets first, since they would be more accessible with the pack on. Having a place to stow beanie and gloves without cramming them in a pants pocket and without taking the pack off sounded good, as well as being able to access a camera, chapstick, etc. I see they also sell the shoulder strap pockets, but I'm not a big fan of those - I think I have used the one on my Exos once. I don't really like things on my shoulder straps that might catch as I put the pack on or take it off. Long hair and a hydration tube are enough to try to work around.

ChuckT, I don't think they would completely dry out either, but they would at least start draining the excess. If re-arranged during rest breaks, it might get rid of a good bit of water versus packed inside a stuff sack. For smaller items like socks or a bandana it might work better?

bigcranky, I also like the fact that the pack is designed to be pretty water resistant (some reviews I read said it never leaked even during significant rain). I would probably be under 25 pounds for most trips, so good to hear that it carries well at the 25-30 range.

Again, thank you everyone for the insight and ideas.

I have a Haul Zip Hybrid (Zip but with mesh on front) on order, and I expect delivery any day now. I got the Multi-Pack, and I intend to try it out as a lid. Once everything arrives, I'll post some pics.

The other thing that I like about the Multi-Pack is that you can use it for day hikes while leaving the rest of your pack with your gear in camp, bringing a few things with you without having to bring your whole pack.

Once I get my Arc Haul in and see how it fits, I will then bite the bullet for the hip belt pockets and other little things. I didn't want to pay for those until I know how the pack fits me. Mine should be due in mid-February...pretty excited.

I( agree 100% Plus having an extra ziplock is always a good thing, especially if your meals are FBC.

Pack ordered, now the wait to receive it... I ended up ordering the belt pouches, dual top straps, trekking pole holders, and shock cord lashing. Again, thanks to all for the input.

I just received mine (two weeks early) and really like it. It definitely takes some time to figure out how to adjust everything to be just right for me. I also ordered the dual top straps and shock cord lashing, plus the top mesh pockets and roll-top side closure snaps. Now I know I like it I will also order the belt pouches and maybe the lumbar pad as I am quite boney and have back issues (the padding seems sufficient as is for most people though).

My only issue was that the waist belt was way too small. I am a pretty petite person (5'5 and 125#) and the small was more like child size. I have emailed ZPacks regarding this issue and hope to hear back from them about exchanging the hip belt.
    I ordered the medium torso and I'm glad I did since I was at the top end of the small and bottom end of the medium recommendations.

The quality is superb and there are so many different things to adjust that it took me some time to get it right (almost an afternoon). I haven't taken it out yet, but did wear it around the house with most of my gear in it and it felt so easy to carry. It's definitely not as rugged as an Osprey, but I expected that, and I tend to baby my gear, especially when I spent so much on it.

On another note, received my EE 10* quilt/bag on the same day (it was like Christmas but better) which is also gorgeous in purple and green and superb quality...it's just amazing to me that something so light will be able to keep me warm on cold nights.

Ogtheking mentioned getting a ULA Ohm thru MassDrop. I just got a notice today that another ULA Ohm purchase thru MassDrop has begun. Price looks ggod.

On the waistbelt pockets question I did not get any with my pack, a Blast rather than an Arc Haul, cause I had 2 set from the year before. One set from Granite Gear, the other from Gossamer Gear. The Gossamer gear set is the lighter set at 1 oz. each. And they fit the waist belt. Not the same volume as the zPacks pockets but big enough, and they have zippers, for the small stuff I want to carry there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Ogtheking mentioned getting a ULA Ohm thru MassDrop. I just got a notice today that another ULA Ohm purchase thru MassDrop has begun. Price looks ggod.
    I saw that today, it's actually a ULA Catalyst. One of my best backpacking buddy's has one and loves it. It is a great pack.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ula-cat...%20Promotional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually one of the first Arc Haul purchasers...I believe mine was actually the 2nd or 3rd after the prototype...and I am very glad that the 'early adopter' in me picked a winner. This pack is just...the best.

Back in the day though, the hip belt pockets only came in cuben hybrid. From experience with an arc blast, it just wasn't going to be durable enough, so I requested hip belt pockets in dyneema...which is interesting to see that zpacks now offers that as a standard option

I don't have any problem getting into the hip pockets on my Arc Blast. Can do it on the move no problem.

I store my tarp in the mesh pocket. It is in a snakeskin and I'm not worried about it getting wet. If it isn't raining when I break camp then I dry it with a shamwow before stowing. My tarp is the first thing I'll set up when it is raining. With it in the mesh pocket I don't have to open my pack until I get it safe and dry under the tarp.

I like the beltpockets on my arc haul, I think they work better than a brain, they take some load off the packs suspension and give you 2 compartments. I put my phone/snacks in one and my dittie bag and snacks in the other. This is the first time I've had them and they are keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    For those that have the ZPacks Arc Haul, I am curious about the features, especially if you have used the pack on the trail. In particular, I am curious about the belt pockets. I have used pockets in my Osprey Exos and other packs for small incidental items from time to time, but generally don't keep much in them...

The belt pockets you can get from Zpacks are MUCH more usable than the Osprey belt pockets that are just about unusable. I can easily use the Zpacks belt pockets (I have 2) on my pack while hiking without breaking stride; snacks, bugspray, camera, firstaid, sunglasses... you name it. So, so glad I got the belt pouches on my pack and I highly recommend them.

Images

I second that. I am currently hiking with an osprey exos and will be upgrading to the Arc Haul for my thru next year. While I like some other features, the pockets on the exos are garbage. I will definitely be including hip belt pockets in my order as they apear to be much larger. WP is a huge bonus as well. I was curious about how people felt about the detachable front pouch... I was not planning on purchasing it but after reading some of the positive feedback I may give it a try.

The pouches are awesome...I carry all my day food/snacks in them plus my camera, chapstick and a small bottle of eye solution for my contacts. Very well designed.
    I don't have the front pack, I don't find a need for the space for a 5 day hike if you have light-weight, minimal gear. I would recommend the lumbar pad though, it made the world of difference on my bony hips/back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++