Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Synthetic/Fleece Jackets

Hey ladies!
    I'm planning to thru hike next year however I'm beginning to work on my gear list. I'm vegan so down jackets aren't really my cup of tea. Under my rain jacket I am looking to either get a synthetic or fleece jacket. I'm also vegan, so down isn't my cup of tea and I'm trying to pack as ultralight as I can, so the lighter the jacket the better. Does anyone have good recommendations or know of good reviews of vegan jackets?

Synthetic jackets are plastic, derived from oil, derived fron animals long dead. If you don't want down because you're vegan, you dont want synthetics, either. I guess plant based clothing is ok? Linen, hemp and cotton?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Synthetic jackets are plastic, derived from oil, derived fron animals long dead. If you don't want down because you're vegan, you dont want synthetics, either. I guess plant based clothing is ok? Linen, hemp and cotton?
    Sadly staying warm with plant-based materials only and being lightweight are not compatible.

Wool may be considered a good compromise, since it is shaved from the animals without killing them (at least in theory, the animals could be kept alive until their natural deaths although this isn't how the industry actually works), but it would take a lot of layers of wool to keep warm compared to a down, which is also a lot of weight. In theory, down could be harvested only from birds after they died of natural causes as well...

Maybe there's a corn-based plastic fleece out there somewhere. By the end of your hike, it will be biodegrading already.

(Note: We've spent many years being vegan though these days are just vegetarianism - while it's a respectable endeavor some compromises must be considered in cases such as this)
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 01-27-2016 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post

Wow I didn't even think about synthetics in that way thanks! I've heard and read a lot about people not recommending cotton on trail, but then again I know a few people who wore cotton on trail with no complaints. Do you think that would be reliable/warm enough?

Quote Originally Posted by sshannonsimss View Post
    Wow I didn't even think about synthetics in that way thanks! I've heard and read a lot about people not recommending cotton on trail, but then again I know a few people who wore cotton on trail with no complaints. Do you think that would be reliable/warm enough?
    The biggest problem with cotton is getting it wet. It loses insulation ability when wet (to a much greater degree than something like wool), and takes a long time to dry. The warmth-to-weight ratio is also pretty bad. But it will certainly do in a pinch!

Images

Most oil (petroleum from wells that is used for synthetics, not directly sourced animal oils) is believed to have formed from vegetative matter and small marine organisms that died, settled on ocean floors, decomposed, and then the carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen present were transformed into oil over millions of years. It's not like anything was harmed for a purpose in the process. It's all just recycled atoms.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-27-2016 at 18:56.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

How do you feel about silk? It's produced from insects which are technically animals, but then again many vegans consider eating honey okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    How do you feel about silk? It's produced from insects which are technically animals, but then again many vegans consider eating honey okay.
    I'm not too sure actually. I don't know much about how the silk is taken from the insects (I've just never thought of wearing it as clothing therefor haven't looked into it) so I'm obviously not aware if it's done in an actual humane way. I just found a soft shell jacket by marmot that's made of almost 100% polyester but I don't know too much about soft shell jackets, or how well polyester dries though.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Gentlemen, this is the women's forum. I suspect we should let the experienced women backpackers have their say and answer the OP's question. Thanks!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sshannonsimss View Post
    I'm not too sure actually. I don't know much about how the silk is taken from the insects (I've just never thought of wearing it as clothing therefor haven't looked into it) so I'm obviously not aware if it's done in an actual humane way. I just found a soft shell jacket by marmot that's made of almost 100% polyester but I don't know too much about soft shell jackets, or how well polyester dries though.
    Needless to say, most silk is harvested in a manner that is not bug-friendly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...UTF-8&hl=en-US

Default Synthetic/Fleece Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Gentlemen, this is the women's forum. I suspect we should let the experienced women backpackers have their say and answer the OP's question. Thanks!
    Mags, perhaps this post should be moved considering the instructions for this forum state: For Women's Issues Only.

OP did not ask a question within these guidelines, merely asked a question about fabrics.

-just saying :P

Images

My first thoughts... It might be a difficult task to meet the non-down, non-plastics requirement. However, you have time and options. You said you are not setting out on your thru until next year, so that gives you a year to tackle this issue.

Stay away from cotton. The AT is very wet (wet when it rains and often humid in the summer) and cotton takes a long time to dry. In the spring and fall, you can lose a lot of body heat trying to warm up/dry your cotton clothing. Let's not immediately dismiss the idea of looking at other options.

Only you can decide what "vegan lifestyle" means for you. There is no wrong answer - Just looking to gain insight into what your requirements are for a jacket. If you get cold easily you will definitely want something warmer than fleece on your hike. Wool is warm, but wool coats are not lightweight. I did come across this article that might give you some ideas: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifest...ade-with-down/

Another thought - Do you know anyone with a sewing machine? Why not make your own jacket, or take the materials to a local seamstress? That way, you know exactly what materials are going into your jacket. Some cruelty-free options are: Primaloft, Thinsulate, Micromax, TCS Down Free. Now, please note I only said these are cruelty free.

Only you can decide what will work for you regarding plastics, etc. Please let us know if any of these materials are acceptable - There are lots of options out there!

Images

You might take a look at Patagonia products - They do a lot with eco-friendly materials, as well as recycled materials. The Nano Puff is a good choice for warmth... Patagonia might also have some ideas on who to talk to for other alternative materials.

Images

Ok - Third time is the charm! I found a link to a website with all sorts of vegan friendly gear (sleeping bags, jackets, etc). The website hosts a blog, gear information, forum, etc. It sounds like just the place to get the best information for your needs. http://www.veganoutdooradventures.co...lated-jackets/

This is so much beautiful information that you so much!! My aunt does in fact sew but I don't believe she's ever made jackets - doesn't hurt to ask though. The vegan outdoors website is so incredibly rad I am definitely going to be checking it out thanks so much

Journal Entries
    Images

I suggest another way to consider some of these items. Buy 2nd hand items, then you are minimizing your impact by reusing an item, and not causing the creation of them. I am not a vegan but try to buy 2nd hand when possible to minimize my impact on the planet, especially with clothes made of synthetics.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

She, a woman, asked about acceptable fabrics for her need. Not a treatise on why she is incorrect. Please move your comments elsewhere.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Most oil (petroleum from wells that is used for synthetics, not directly sourced animal oils) is believed to have formed from vegetative matter and small marine organisms that died, settled on ocean floors, decomposed, and then the carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen present were transformed into oil over millions of years. It's not like anything was harmed for a purpose in the process. It's all just recycled atoms.
    This answer is correct. Being a vegan backpacker does not mean that you have to make choices that are inconsistent with the vegan lifestyle.

I am not a lady, but I am vegan, so I hope that you won't mind if I make some suggestions as to what you can do. Note my trail name. LOL. All of my gear is vegan, and I eat healthy and vegan on the trail. It can be done, and it can be done with light weight gear.

Regarding the clothing that you mention, I now use the Patagonia Capilene Thermal Weight series. BTW, "fleece", other than combinations containing wool or silk, is vegan. Just make sure to check the label before your purchase, and there will be plenty available in this category.

For a jacket, I wear either a North Face Thermoball Vest, or I go with the long sleeve jacket version of this, or both. I just got an email that REI has North Face on clearance right now, but I am not sure if either of these would be included. Also, if you are a Costco member, they had good prices on these, when I last checked. Things like this frequently go on sale. This line is light, warm and packs really well.

Next, go to Vegan Outdoor Adventures. This is a great source for vegan backpacking clothing and gear information.

Watch my video from my trip to Washington state. Make sure to watch the credits at the end, too, because I list my gear there, and this could give you some more ideas. I am in the process of updating my gear list for this coming season, so there will be more videos and information to come regarding this topic.

The other area that often becomes a potential issue is sleeping bags, but there are plenty out there that are synthetic and are great. For example, I use the Enlightened Equipment Prodigy.

Boots and shoes can also take just a little extra doing.

You have plenty of available vegan products out there. Feel free to ask more about it.

Not a really vegan answer, but I see a good friend sitting on the spinning wheel practicing with sheep wool for the bigger task of making a yarn of dog wool for to finally knit a pullover which is supposed to match with any down or synthetic stuff.
    All the wool is harvested locally and very "human", if you can call it this way. The animals seem to be very comfortable with this, absolutely no bad treatment or killing involved.
    But admittedly not vegan.

Down isn't my thing either. I really love my Arcteryx Atom LT hoody (synthetic). It's lightweight, packs down into its sleeve, but still warm enough as a mid layer in cold weather or by itself in mild temperatures. It's machine washable, and it comes in really awesome colors (I realize color is sort of at the bottom of the priority list, but it's still a nice benefit if you plan to wear the jacket a lot). I think it is one of the best purchases I have ever made, and not long after I got mine my husband bought the men's version and he likes his, too. This is a link for more info: http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?lan...tom-LT-Hoody-W

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++