WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default One week section hike -- Springer to where?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little bit of help planning out my first section hike on the AT in the south. I have eight hiking days available and would like to start on Springer (no approach trail) and head north. I have my maps, but I'm not sure where a reasonable stopping point is -- hard to tell whether some of the road crossings I'm seeing are really driveable.

Some useful info: I generally like to hike 10 to 15 miles per day and have hiked all of the New England AT. It took me 7 days to hike the 100-Mile Wilderness last fall (not counting Katahdin, just to Abol Bridge) if that helps gauge how I do with distance & terrain.

Any advice on a good ending point would be greatly appreciated! Also would love any specific recommendations on shuttlers for the beginning and end points of the trip.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

- Ivy
    Last edited by poison_ivy; 12-16-2005 at 09:13. Reason: Fix title

Well, conservative would be Dick Creek Gap and Hwy 76 to Hiawassee at 67mi, medium would be Winding Stair Gap and Hwy 64 to Franklin at 107mi and go for broke might be the Nantahala river at the NOC on US Hwy 19 at 134mi.

It was my experience that it takes about a week to go from Springer to the state line. Then, it takes about a week to go from the state line to Fontana, and another week to go through GSMNP. So, that should give you a rough idea of what you might want to do in a week.

GAME 2000
    Images

You need to use the Data Book and Companion, the Handbook or someother info package to put together your section hike. Anyway, shuttling is likely the toughest planning option but these are some of the AT trailheads at the southern end:

0.0 miles... Springer (USFS Road 42 crosses 0.9 mile south, it is a dirt road).
    66.8 miles... Dick's Creek Gap in GA (US76 road crossing).
    82.4 miles... Deep Gap in NC (USFS Road 71 ends there, it is a dirt road).
    106.8 miles... Winding Stair Gap (US64 Road crossing).
    112.7 miles... Wayah Gap (NC1310 Road crossing).
    116.9 miles... Wahah Bald (5340' with dirt road from Wayah Gap. Has a historic observation tower with incredible views.
    And restrooms).
    126.2 miles... Tellico Gap (dirt road crosses but don't see name in Handbook).
    134.0 miles... Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC, US19 crosses. Almost
    civilization with restauarants, showers, bunkhouse, motel
    rooms).
    147.7 miles... Stecoah Gap (NC143 road crossing).
    163.1 miles... Fontana Dam (NC28, showers near nice shelter).
    Last edited by Youngblood; 12-16-2005 at 09:51.

Images

Default onw week section hike springer to where

I am also at that dilema at this piont cant see no way out of my responsabilitys except for maybe 10 days,I have considered alternative trails but I want to hike up from springer myself untell I can reach a good place to get off and get to a bus station ect ect maybe can squeeze 2wks ,ky

Images

Quote Originally Posted by poison_ivy
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a little bit of help planning out my first section hike on the AT in the south. I have eight hiking days available and would like to start on Springer (no approach trail) and head north. I have my maps, but I'm not sure where a reasonable stopping point is -- hard to tell whether some of the road crossings I'm seeing are really driveable.

- Ivy
    I'm planning a similar section hike. Unfortunately for me, not untill May '07.

Myself and a buddy are going to hike from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap. We're not in a real hurry so mileage isn't a real big concern. We plan on around 8 to 12 mile days. We'll prolly resupply at Neels Gap. Transportation for me is the easy part. I have relatives in the area.

Good luck with your hike.
    Peace,
    Joe

Thanks for the replies so far. In what I had mapped out for the trip, I had myself stopping at Winding Stair Gap so I'm glad to see that listed as a possibility.

- Ivy

Geezer

Hello Ivy,

If you are still hiking at the pace with which you left me in the dust on the Bemis Range last year, I expect you to get at least to Pennsylvania in a week.

Seriously, Georgia isn't flat by any means, but it is nothing like the Maine and NH sections you knocked off.

When are you going?
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Hello Ivy,

If you are still hiking at the pace with which you left me in the dust on the Bemis Range last year, I expect you to get at least to Pennsylvania in a week.

When are you going?
    As I remember, it wasn't my pace that left you in the dust... it was just that I didn't posthole as much as you did.

Still trying to figure out a plan and fit the vacation days in this spring (which is my busy season really.) Possibly the first week in May.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

hike the joeja section, then git one of these!!!
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...p?i=3869&c=554

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

You in pretty good shape ?? That'll factor big into what you will be able to do in 7 days starting at Springer. It's all a matter of math and your endurance. It took me 11 days to reach Winding Stair Gap in 2003 and I was NOT in the best of shape when I started. Someone in great physical condition could most likely knock 4 days off that mileage. But honestly I wouldn't think that anything beyond Winding Stair would be doable with any degree of pleasure in a week.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I plan on section hiking all that over the next few years, one week at a time(5 trail days, 2 travel days).

2006-Amicacloa Falls to Neels Gap
    2007-Neels Gap to Dicks Creek
    2008-Dicks Creek to Wallace Gap
    2009-Wallace Gap to NOC
    2010-NOC to Fontana Dam

I don't want to totally bust my a$$ hiking, being as this will be an annual vacation for the next 23 years until I retire and can thru-hike the entire AT. I'm planning on roughly 7-8 miles a day. Each of the above start/stop spots have good(or at least on paper) pick up/drop off spots.

Bigben

Images

I'm taking my three oldest kids (12, 13, and 14) from Springer to Unicoi Gap the 1st week of April. They should be able to handle 8 to 12 miles a day over 5 days of hiking. They want to meet thru hikers, and I'm jumping at the chance to brainwash them even more. (I whisper "hike the AT with me" in their ears as they sleep Maybe I'll see some of you on the Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose
    I'm taking my three oldest kids (12, 13, and 14) from Springer to Unicoi Gap the 1st week of April. They should be able to handle 8 to 12 miles a day over 5 days of hiking. They want to meet thru hikers, and I'm jumping at the chance to brainwash them even more. (I whisper "hike the AT with me" in their ears as they sleep Maybe I'll see some of you on the Trail.
    If you do the approach trail, then get off at Neels Gap, that's roughly 40 miles. In my experience with Scouts, don't push the kids to do longer mile days. The younger ones will wear out. Have you taken them out for some shakedown trips yet? Start with a couple of 5 mile, overnight trips. See how they do. It'll give them a chance to prove their gear and themselves.
    Peace,
    Joe

Once you pass Dicks Creek Gap, you are really committed to going to Winding Stair Gap. You _could_ shorten the trip by blue blazing down the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap, and cut up to Glassmine Gap or road walk to Bear Gap. (It might be Rock Gap, but I don't have my book handy). Of course, that blue blaze leaves off all of Standing Indian and Mt Albert.

I've seen folks do that easily in a week, including one young lady who did Springer to Fontana in 11 days. She flew past me. Yet, that might have you miss much of what is wonderful in NOGA, including Neel's Gap, Hiawassee, Blueberry Patch and the like.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    You in pretty good shape ?? That'll factor big into what you will be able to do in 7 days starting at Springer. It's all a matter of math and your endurance.
    I don't know that I'm in great shape... but I do hike at least once a week... usually two days a week, mainly in New Hampshire's White Mountains. (Basically I'm in the same shape I was in before the 100-Mile Wilderness trip.) I have a lot of endurance, but I am definitely not speedy. Also, the eight hiking days do not include my two travel days... so I will be able to spend the entire eight days on the trail.

- Ivy

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Well, conservative would be Dick Creek Gap and Hwy 76 to Hiawassee at 67mi, medium would be Winding Stair Gap and Hwy 64 to Franklin at 107mi and go for broke might be the Nantahala river at the NOC on US Hwy 19 at 134mi.
    good answer

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

soon??what time of year??
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Talking NOC v. Wesser, NC

Forget the NOC. Hike to Wesser, NC instead!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Forget the NOC. Hike to Wesser, NC instead!

RainMan

I must admit I could have done without the flight of 70 steps between my cabin and the restroom!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++