Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What’s your 2016 PTC NOBO/SOBO Permit Date?

The PTCA is now accepting on-line reservations for 2016 PTCLong Distance Hiking Permits.

If you are doing a 2016 Thru-Hike

What’s your:
    -----------
    Name/Trail Name
    Start Date?
    NOBO or SOBO
    Starting / Ending locations
    -----------

Shiloh
    May 5th
    NOBO
    From Campo to Canada
    If I can't carry it in my heart or on my back, I really don't need it.

Won't be going until 2018 for me, but I looked at the permit page of PCTA.org and couldn't believe how many of the permits for April were already gone, and almost all had reached the 35/35 allocation already.
    I will have to be ready at midnight on January 31st/Feb 1st in 2018 to make sure I get close to the start date I want. Craziness.

June 29
    SOBO
    Canada Border (via Harts Pass yo-yo)
    Mexican Border

I might be changing my trail name as I'm planning to go stoveless.

Journal Entries
    Images

Shooting for a July 4th start at the Canadian Border
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Anyone started their hike by a boat shuttle up Ross Lake?

I'm looking into this option for the sheer excitement about it, but I'm having trouble finding which TH I would need to connect to the PCT's N terminus? Anyone have any info on this or know where to find it? I'm also wondering, if Ross is only 10-15 miles off the PCT, can I leave a package there & use that as my 1st resupply? Thoughts & info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I'm looking into this option for the sheer excitement about it, but I'm having trouble finding which TH I would need to connect to the PCT's N terminus? Anyone have any info on this or know where to find it? I'm also wondering, if Ross is only 10-15 miles off the PCT, can I leave a package there & use that as my 1st resupply? Thoughts & info is appreciated.
    Im planning to take a bus to Concrete, WA from Seattle and then either hitch or arrange a shuttle to Harts Pass which is 30 miles south of the border. I'll then hike north to the border and then start hiking SOBO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Im planning to take a bus to Concrete, WA from Seattle and then either hitch or arrange a shuttle to Harts Pass which is 30 miles south of the border. I'll then hike north to the border and then start hiking SOBO.
    I hear from Ross Lake it's only 35,36 miles so I'm trying to gather info on that to see if it's a viable alternative starting point!? It's just sounds like a great way to begin?

Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't meant o steal your thread, I posted a "New Thread" & it showed up on here? Sorry

Images

I didn't meant o steal your thread, I posted a "New Thread" & it showed up on here? Sorry
    No Worries.

Best Wishes for a Safe and Successful SOBO.

Hope to cross paths with you somewhere up/down The Trail.

Shiloh

I hear from Ross Lake it's only 35,36 miles so I'm trying to gather info on that to see if it's a viable alternative starting point!? It's just sounds like a great way to begin?
    Could be. Also would be an easier hitch I think...

Images

Persia
    Campo to Manning Park( NoBo)
    April 11
    The number of SoBo of this site is interesting compare to average .

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    No Worries.

Best Wishes for a Safe and Successful SOBO.

Hope to cross paths with you somewhere up/down The Trail.

Shiloh
    Thanks & Absolutely!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Could be. Also would be an easier hitch I think...
    That's what I'm thinking + why not a scenic boat ride

Kathy
    March 24
    NOBO
    Mexico/Canada

Images

NOBO starting March 31, but just for 500-600 miles or so.

Journal Entries

The earliest I could get a permit for was May 5th...a cpl weeks later than I wanted to start but all others were full before that!ni can re try on 16th but still tough.

one...in your opinions...does a May 5 start date mean I won't get to chill and relax and zero when I want? I felt a little rushed on my AT hike and I really wanted to avoid that on my pct...

two...are they strict about starting on your specific day? I understand the reason for permits, and I'm not usually the type to try to get around that kind of stuff.. I know it's for the good of the trail. But my enjoyment of my thru hike could depend on just starting a cpl weeks earlier....
    some people never go crazy.
    what truly horrible lives
    they must lead. - Charles Bukowski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jingle jangle View Post
    The earliest I could get a permit for was May 5th...a cpl weeks later than I wanted to start but all others were full before that!ni can re try on 16th but still tough.

one...in your opinions...does a May 5 start date mean I won't get to chill and relax and zero when I want? I felt a little rushed on my AT hike and I really wanted to avoid that on my pct...

two...are they strict about starting on your specific day? I understand the reason for permits, and I'm not usually the type to try to get around that kind of stuff.. I know it's for the good of the trail. But my enjoyment of my thru hike could depend on just starting a cpl weeks earlier....

I understand how you feel. Picking our Start Dates is just one of many “unknowns” a lot of us are stressing about as we anxiously await the beginning of our PTC thru-hikes.

I can’t answer your questions, but I can offer this.

The way things are looking in the Sierra’s, starting on May 5th and doing an easy paced hike to arrive at Kennedy Meadows in late June seems far less stressful to me than getting to KM early and either having to sit and wait for days or weeks, or having to slowly/carefully trek over a heavy snow pack.

As you know from hiking the AT, a long distance hike is more of a mental thing than a physical challenge. The Trail is to each of us what we make it to be. Whatever your start date is, Just Go with the Flow knowing that you will figure out everything you need to know, that you will meet a lot of great people, and that you will have an Awesome Adventure out there.

Shiloh

I'm planning a SOBO but if I wanted to hike NOBO I'd probably start May 15. I don't think that getting to KM before mid June this years will make much sense except for those who want to hike in the snow which will slow things down. I'm kind of surprised that the bubble is all of April rather than, say, April 20-May 20...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I'm planning a SOBO but if I wanted to hike NOBO I'd probably start May 15. I don't think that getting to KM before mid June this years will make much sense except for those who want to hike in the snow which will slow things down. I'm kind of surprised that the bubble is all of April rather than, say, April 20-May 20...
    there was a study in a major subway station and they found if around 15 percent of the crowd suddenly start to walk( in a casual way in a certain direction, the rest would follow even if they have no reason. The study showed that some of the later group even try to outrun that original 15 percent. That is what happened in this year. You opened the permit page and in just a few minutes the early to mid April was the most desired date and so people thought hell, If that is the most desirable date then I am going to follow the herd.

What will happen when Sierra is snow packed anytime before mid(to late) June remains to be seen.

No trail name as yet
    April 13th
    NOBO
    Mexico/Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++