WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ti Pot Size

Default Ti Pot Size

550 or 750 ml? Would save $10 with the 550 but not sure if 2C of water is sufficient each time. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long of a trip are you taking? I use a 600ml for weekend trips but anything more than 4 days the .9l comes out. You will need more space for the larger portions to ease that hiker hunger.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I usually use the MSR Titan Kettle and find it to sometimes be a little smaller than I wished... and it's quoted at 830ml.
    Unless there is some specific target (total weight or something about the smaller size) you are trying to reach, I would spend the $10 on the larger pot.

I've used a 600 ml pot before. I find I spill food while stirring more often with it. It's pretty tight to boil water and eat and drink out of. I vastly prefer 8-900 ml to give room to stir without spilling, boil enough water for a little hot drink and food at the same time, and the size and weight penalty for the extra few 100 ml is pretty minimal.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Here is my complete cook kit with a 650ml pot. With food, 650 is the smallest I think you could go IF you need 1 3/4 to 2 cups of water.

Good luck. ~ Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

If you're simply boiling, I'd think 750 might be a bit big. I use a 650ml and like being able to boil as much as 16oz with room to spare.

I just switched to the 550. I had a bigger pot before, but I really never needed the extra volume. The 550 is enough for me to boil a full cup for my drink, and then to still have enough left to use for rehydrating my meal.

For me, it depends if I want to 'cook' in the pot (boil water, stir in food in pot, & place in pot cozy) or use a freezer bag system of cooking (boil water, pour it into freezer bag full of food, & place freezer bag in freezer bag cozy). If I cook in a pot, I'll usually use my 0.9L pot. I can probably go a little smaller but I find diminishing returns on spillage vs weight savings. For freezer bag cooking, I can go much smaller (.5 - .6L pots).

Given your parameters, I'd vote for the larger pot.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    For me, it depends if I want to 'cook' in the pot (boil water, stir in food in pot, & place in pot cozy) or use a freezer bag system of cooking (boil water, pour it into freezer bag full of food, & place freezer bag in freezer bag cozy). If I cook in a pot, I'll usually use my 0.9L pot. I can probably go a little smaller but I find diminishing returns on spillage vs weight savings. For freezer bag cooking, I can go much smaller (.5 - .6L pots).

Yeah. I hadn't thought about the spillage factor until after posting. I do freezer bag LS occasionally but hadn't gotten into the bag cozy yet. Any DIY links on that?

KentuckyRed

Quote Originally Posted by msoult View Post
    Yeah. I hadn't thought about the spillage factor until after posting. I do freezer bag LS occasionally but hadn't gotten into the bag cozy yet. Any DIY links on that?

KentuckyRed
    If you want some cozy stuff, here is where I got my first pot cozy from. Since then, I've made my own (Reflectix & aluminum tape from Home Depot). It's cheaper but (at least in my case) not as 'professionally made.' For freezer bag cozies, I make them slightly larger than the ones sold here. I add a couple tabs of velcro for the flap. Otherwise, taper the edges of your flap so it will tuck inside the main body of the cozy (don't make the flap too short).

http://www.antigravitygear.com/produ...zy-collection/
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I use different size pots depending on which stove I use. I use a one L pot with my Solo wood burner- I can heat enough water at one time to rehydrate my soup, have a cup of coffee and wash my spoon and cup. When I use the Caldera Cone system I use a 750 ml pot. When I use a canister stove I use a smaller 550 ML pot. Both the Caldera system and a canister stove are quicker to start again and heat more water if needed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Snow peak 700 ml, big enough for freezer bag cooking plus water for tea or hot chocolate. Made a reflectix cozy to fit outside of it, the FBC fits inside of the cozy to cook or the pot goes in it to keep the tea or hot chocolate warm.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Get the bigger one. I used it and it was barely big enough, but just big enough. I used it to put ramen in, etc. You will get tired of eating out of ziplock bags. It is also big enough to put your ziplock bag in to eat out of, giving it some shape.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post

This answer is the most thorough in my mind.

I use a .9L pot and pan setup but I "cook" in mine. I have also used a .6L pot for FBC cooking but have since stopped due to less planning (for me) involved on my trips. I just like to pick up and go now-a-days so that is my reason for the switch.

Depends on your style of cooking. In my experiences, I have found people who utilize freezer bag cooking (they are just boiling water) will settle on something with about 750-850ml of volume. 2 cups for the meal, and 1-1.5 cups for a hot drink or just more water. If you just want to boil 2 cups of water for cooking only, then 600ml would be perfect and you can make a REALLY light cook setup. That extra cup of volume gives you more flexibility though.

For people who put the water and food IN their pot, I would say most people settle on the 900-1300ml pot. 900ml is the smallest I'd go to cook directly in your pot.

Images

046.JPGHere's what I use.It's 1100ml and my Svea stove fits inside.Got it from Steep&Cheap.Heck my coffee mug takes 2 cups.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msoult View Post
    550 or 750 ml? Would save $10 with the 550 but not sure if 2C of water is sufficient each time. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sufficient for what?

I boils water and its sufficient for me

If not, boil a little more, half cup boils quick. Easy to make coffee while food soaks, and it gives you something to do.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-06-2016 at 09:18.

Images

I have arrived at a SP kit of a 700 which nests in the 900. 1 canister in the 700 n/lid with the Lite max in there also. The 900 boils enough for a hefty cup of Joe in the 700 and enough for 2 freezer bag meals, or 1 meal and a refill of Joe.

++ New Posts ++