Default Manatee Numbers Rebounding

I got a newsletter from my Congressman asking for my opinion of the proposed downgrading of the West Indian Manatee from Endangered to Threatened.

Not really knowing the issue, I looked it up and found this http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm...rom-&_ID=35428

I had no idea this animal was making such a strong comeback. However, I'm still not sure on how to vote on this issue, i.e. downgrade or keep the manatee classified as endangered.

Any opinions?

Since the surveys started in 1991, the number of manatees counted during the surveys had increased, which is related to a growing population, improved survey techniques, and increased knowledge of where manatees aggregate. Synoptic survey counts do not provide statistical estimates of population size and thus are not supposed to be used to determine trends in the population. Rather, these surveys provide a minimum count of manatees. The outcome of the survey is highly dependent on weather conditions and factors including wind speed, glare, and water clarity (turbidity) affect the ability of researchers to count manatees, while the severity of the cold front determines just how many manatees are present at the warm water site to be counted.

http://www.savethemanatee.org/population.htm
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I hope the manatee numbers are rebounding but I don't have the greatest confidence in the FL FWS.

We live part of the winter in FL and haven't seen any manatees this year at the usual locations that we have seen them in past years but that be because of the warmer temps this winter.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 02-05-2016 at 09:58.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

FWC will approve a manatee hunt soon, right?

I tend to want to look behind the curtain. I want to know a full range of consequences and impacts to different groups that seek to gain or be somehow negatively impacted by the Endangered to Threatened designation. Someone always suffers and someone always poses to gain as a result of these decisions. Human interests, not often publicly heralded, factor into these decisions. These players will attempt to influence the decision making process. Listen, watch, sniff out, and study carefully ALL SIDES to detect the things that aren't being openly stated.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I tend to want to look behind the curtain. I want to know a full range of consequences and impacts to different groups that seek to gain or be somehow negatively impacted by the Endangered to Threatened designation. Someone always suffers and someone always poses to gain as a result of these decisions. Human interests, not often publicly heralded, factor into these decisions. These players will attempt to influence the decision making process. Listen, watch, sniff out, and study carefully ALL SIDES to detect the things that aren't being openly stated.
    Homeowners that dislike long no-wake manatee zones..........................

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    FWC will approve a manatee hunt soon, right?
    No, no, you put a saddle on the Manatee and use it as a trusty steed to hunt pythons from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Boat owners. Second only to developers when it comes to influencing FL legislation in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    No, no, you put a saddle on the Manatee and use it as a trusty steed to hunt pythons from.
    I like it! Manatees would also know where to find the Skunk Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Homeowners that dislike long no-wake manatee zones..........................
    Most waterfront homeowners appreciate no wake zones, no mater the reason for their enforcement.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++