WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1Greywolf View Post
    The only way to help this guy is to let him do want he wants.!Only after he does it will be know wat works and want won't. All our advice are all a joke to him.
    Wanting to wear down in Southern California is a person to stupid to help him self or thinks we are to dum to realize
    He is pulling our leg.
    I hope to meet him on the trail
    Im not sure why you would say that.
    Its mostly about 35F at night at upper elevations around 11500 in July-Aug, but it will get down to 25 F occassionally.

Guitar lake is notoriously cold due to katabatic wind. Frigid air from Mt. Whitney at 14500 flows downhill .
    Not uncommon to be in mid 20s on Mt. Whitney in the morning, all summer long.

So yes, UL down garments are the perfect hiking accessory. Not for hiking, but to have with you for when stopped. Mornings warm up quickly, and you only have a couple at really high elevation. Days are 14 hrs long, so the best thing to do is sleep in until sun is up around 7 am. No need for early morning cold starts.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-07-2016 at 23:01.

Hi Muddywaters,

No disrespect meant to anyone on this blog.
    However, when someone, who is attempting to hike this trail not having the basics understanding of the basics gotten from having backed packed a few timesto understand basics in backpacking. He is either to stupid to grasp the

Basics requirements in evaluating environment, weather, and remoteness you will face. He should not be on this trail. Or he is taking us for a ride with his disingenuous questions. I don't want to be taken for a sap or this site by someone who should know better that personal questions he asks can only be answered by his personal experiences.

I've been working with rookie engineers since forever. Most of them are long on book learning and very short on practical application. Some learn how to apply their education in the real world. Others never seem to get it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Basics requirements in evaluating environment, weather, and remoteness you will face. He should not be on this trail. Or he is taking us for a ride with his disingenuous questions. I don't want to be taken for a sap or this site by someone who should know better that personal questions he asks can only be answered by his personal experiences.

Well this turned into a bizzaro hate fest. I have no clue where your misplaced garbage talk is coming from after rereading my post. I'll just reexplain it very slowly. I hike a lot, but on the east coast. Our mountains don't get tall enough that we have to deal with the wild temperature swings. Currently I walk to school 3 miles in 35 degree weather with an 8-10 pound pack using the setup you claim is irresponsible (150 wt merino and a down jacket) happily. If you look at the title I was asking for a mid layer/insulation idea for hiking since I tend to run cold. I was curious about folk's ideas since I tend to over pack for warmth.

But thank you for your opinion on my level of intelligence. Next time it would be nice if you stuck to the question asked and constructed proper sentences.

The only way to help this guy is to let him do want he wants.!Only after he does it will be know wat works and want won't. All our advice are all a joke to him.
    Wanting to wear down in Southern California is a person to stupid to help him self or thinks we are to dum to realize
    He is pulling our leg.
    I hope to meet him on the trail
    You do know that on the JMT in July the morning/evening lows can be sub freezing right? This guy... I'm going to bring microspikes for the snowy passes too or is that not allowed in your mind in socal?

I like most of your comments Collin.

1) It will warm up fast though despite some cool nights. You will warm up once on the move. This necessitates thermoregulating. You're not likely to get overcast skies in July. The sun will shine with mostly little cloud cover. Different than on the east coast. Some approach the cooler morns apparel and accessories line up by warming up quickly once on the move and deleting items like a med wt mid layer, nylon running gloves, a wind shirt, beanie, putting down a hood and unzipping a chest zip on a shell, etc on the go in a no fanfare fashion. This is my approach for the vagarities of temp change.

2) Check snow reports before you go. Passes may have some snow into the second wk of July but many will have come already showing the path even if there is snow. You'll likely experience little snow on the tread, maybe even no snow, at the passes so Micros will just be added wt. Assess the Micro need until a closer date to your start.

Enjoy your hike.

Staying cool in the sun above treeline while staying covered to protect your skin from the brutal incoming UV radiation will be your biggest problem.
    I was the first of many to advise you NOT to wear a down garment while hiking.
    Have no fear, climbing above 10,000 feet with scant shade will warm you up. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Got the soaked t-shirt and shorts to prove it.
    Have a great hike. No matter where you've hiked east of Amarillo you ain't seen nothing yet.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks. I can get on board with just using the down for camp. I like the idea of perhaps a good wind shirt for the hike- it sounds better than a fleece. Really excited about this trip. The last time I did this mileage was the Long Trail so I am looking forward to switchbacks and waaaaay less humidity.

For cooler starts on Sierra hikes in July I'm starting with a LS merino or Patagonia Cap 1 w/ my fingers in the thumb holes(this keeps hands partially covered and warmer) w/ the chest zip up covering my neck or possibly a merino med wt tee like a Smartwool. I'll still hike in shorts as I'm fairly confident the very favorable Sierra weather will warm up and I'll heat up as I move. My feet will mostly be dry. I'll be wearing nylon running gloves and a Beanie which I usually take off on the go storing in the side pocket of a backpack. If wearing the LS the zip starts coming down and the sleeves get pushed up as needed. If it gets even hotter I'll switch to the tee.

Another torso apparel scenario for me in July is taking along just a med wt merino tee, UL vest like a MB Thermawrap/TNF Thermoball/Pat Nano Puff, and a very breathable lighter wt shell that has very good water resistance but not torrential downpour water proofness that functions as my wind/light rain jacket. Torrential downpours/heavy sustained rains/RAINS are not a reg occurrence in July in the Sierra. A MB Tachyon MIGHT serve this purpose if I'm in a gram weeenie counting fast and light mindset that has reviewed the long term weather forecast. I'll add in all my accessories to that list ie; merino/alapca light wt Turtle Fur beanie, very skimpy nylon running gloves, and a pr of merino Shortie socks. This layering system allows for more variety compared to bringing along a heavier weighted down jacket that is going to be dead wt most often. With all the apparel and accessory combinations I can wear them more likely BOTH on the move and once stopped with excellent opp at thermoregulating in July in the Sierra. Once stopped I'd likely be in my quilt in short order which is my main source of insulation. If I expect to do more wandering around in camp perhaps fish, find flowers, snap some away from camp pics, climb a nearby pass or peak off the JMT, etc I might consider a very very light wt down jacket. And, down works fine on the fair weather JMT during typical early July- early Oct thru-hiking window!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++