WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default WTB - Aarn Featherlite or other Aarn pack

I’m looking to give an Aarn backpack a try this spring and am wondering if any of you have one laying around you want to part with. I’d prefer a newer model Featherlite Freedom, but am open to any of the other packs for consideration.
    Last edited by srdonjuan; 02-07-2016 at 21:22.

Images

I have a 2010 Natural Balance, long torso, large hip belt.. Condition wise it is excellent..no holes, rips, etc.. BUT....my father removed the front stay off of each body pack and can not find them. He can no longer hike, so the pack has been sitting unused for several years. I would guesstimate that the pack was only used five or six times. I have the pack now, but will never use it, so I have not tried to see about getting replacement stays, or trying to DIY them.

There's the near 50L version on ebay from GB - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aarn-Maratho...oAAOSw5dNWsnDS
    I may be selling my 2015 Featherlight Freedom later this year after the NZ hiking season ends. Pm me if you're interested.

Thanks for the message Flounder. I'll send you PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    I have a 2010 Natural Balance, long torso, large hip belt.. Condition wise it is excellent..no holes, rips, etc.. BUT....my father removed the front stay off of each body pack and can not find them. He can no longer hike, so the pack has been sitting unused for several years. I would guesstimate that the pack was only used five or six times. I have the pack now, but will never use it, so I have not tried to see about getting replacement stays, or trying to DIY them.
    The stays are aluminum, I measured approximately 12 mm wide x 3 mm thick flat stock, and as long as the front pockets. They would be close to US size 1/2 or 7/16 x 1/8 or 3/32. You may be able to get stock this size at Lowes or Home Depot for a few dollars. The size shouldn't be really critical as they're just support rods. A 3 ft length would probably be long enough to do both - the sport pockets on my Peak Aspiration model are about 15" long. The stays can be accessed and removed/inserted from the top at the back side of the pockets under a very small velcro strap closure.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hello singing wind, thanks for the message. I might be interested. I tried to send you a PM, but it says your inbox is full and wont allow me. Could you email me at johnhaagart hot mail?

When are you thinking the NZ season will end?

Thanks for the info on the stays 4eyedbuzzard. Very helpful. Are the stays bent to an angle so the pockets float off the chest?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by srdonjuan View Post
    Thanks for the info on the stays 4eyedbuzzard. Very helpful. Are the stays bent to an angle so the pockets float off the chest?
    Mine aren't, no need, but they can be bent to suit the user. Obviously an issue with, um, gender related anatomical differences. The pack stay can also be bent. Go to Aarn's site and it shows you how to bend the back stay to fit your spine. http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!instructions/c1d0
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

FWIW,I looked at the stays on my Aarn Load Limo.They were prebent at the factory.I adjusted my back stays by myself after watching Aarn's vids on YT.The front stays are bent enough such that the front pockets do not obstruct air flow etc.Aarn packs have lots of ways to "tweak" the fit and once you get it dialed it you will know you are there.I would think Aarn would send you the stays you need but it would likely be cheaper to make your own.

Hello NZ tramping season for me will likely end somewhere between late April and June.

++ New Posts ++