WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alternative to OR Helium 2

Another hiker recommended the above rain jacket to replace my military gortex jacket. Unfortunately, the jacket does not have pit zips. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that has pit zips and is of similar weight to the Helium 2? I don't want to sacrifice on ventilation, but still require packability and light weight.

Thank you.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Montbell Versalite?

I've got an Anti Gravity Gear Ultra-Light rain jacket. Works Great, weighs about 5 oz, and has big pit zips. I love mine and would definitely get another.

u.w.

The Helium HD is pretty much the same as the II but with pit zips and hand pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Helium HD is half price at OR.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/me...-jacket-2.html

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Crap, just when I thought I was happy with the Helium II...that sale price is a great deal. I was tempted by the Montbell Versalite but ended up going with the OR since I could try it in person before buying it and ensure the fit was great. Happy I did as OR has ended up being one of my favorite brands, but that Helium HD looks like a worthy step up.

Oh well, I'm not buying another rain jacket. :P

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Another hiker recommended the above rain jacket to replace my military gortex jacket. Unfortunately, the jacket does not have pit zips. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that has pit zips and is of similar weight to the Helium 2? I don't want to sacrifice on ventilation, but still require packability and light weight.

Thank you.
    The OR Helium HD has pit zips!!!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Pit zips: Never leave home without them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Another preference thing, possibly related to personal metabolism, hiking style, sunspots, etc. At home I do sometimes like using pit zips, but on trail I don't miss them with my Helium 2. One trick that I find helpful is that if the wind is coming more or less directly at me to put on the jacket backwards, i.e., so that the back of the jacket is to my front. Blocks the wind, easy to put on and take off without removing the pack, and perspiration can get out the unzipped back.

Each to their own, I'm not suggesting that "no pit zips" is a correct approach for everyone, just that I'm happy to save the weight on this particular piece of gear.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Thank you.
    The version with the pit zips is heavier fwiw...wouldn't make a huge difference to me either way but gram counters might care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The Helium HD is half price at OR.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/me...-jacket-2.html

Wayne

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is a time to count grams. Comfort in the rain is not that time.

Wayne

How do people feel about Marmot Crystalline?

Thanks for all replies. I ended up going with AntiGravity gear's Ultralight offering. Pit zips, drawstrings, and good reviews. Nice Customer Service answered all my questions.

So...will be trying this stuff out in the rain this Spring... Definitely easier to pack than my Gortex...

Now need to find suitable cold weather clothing. In my Gortex jacket's defense...it served as a raincoat, windbreaker, and regular coat (had a liner installed). Will be interesting to see if I can add cold weather layer and an ultralight coat to my list and still have a weight and space savings (Not sure I can...)
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Thanks for all replies. I ended up going with AntiGravity gear's Ultralight offering. Pit zips, drawstrings, and good reviews. Nice Customer Service answered all my questions.

So...will be trying this stuff out in the rain this Spring... Definitely easier to pack than my Gortex...

Now need to find suitable cold weather clothing. In my Gortex jacket's defense...it served as a raincoat, windbreaker, and regular coat (had a liner installed). Will be interesting to see if I can add cold weather layer and an ultralight coat to my list and still have a weight and space savings (Not sure I can...)

not sure of the weight, cabelas has their primaloft hoodie on sale for $50 right now.

I know my military jacket with a uniqlo down jacket under is very warm.

++ New Posts ++