WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default resupply notepad

Anyone considered taking a small notepad on a long hike? I'm an easily distracted, forgetful, daydreamer. I can see myself strolling into a resupply spot with thoughts of what I need, then being several miles down the trail only to realize I was distracted by who knows what and forgot to get something.

Any other easily distracted hikers out there have ideas on this? I'm guessing a small notepad used to make a list should help.

Its a good idea...mail them home when you run out of space, and get another one.

Its not so much about being forgetful, if you've hiked all day, got food on the brain, could be dehydrated...Your head isn't real clear all the time. So if you have a notepad you know to go to as a checklist, it would be a lot easier to remember stuff.

I can see how if lets say you would like to pick up some soy packets the first day back from a resupply, you might forget all about them be time you get to your next resupply. A little 2x4 top flip would do the trick. In a zip lock with a small pen
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

ive been carrying a 3x5 spiral and miniature golf pencil since the 70's, but i'm sure there's an app for that now.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    but i'm sure there's an app for that now.
    Every smart phone comes with a notes app. Of course, your list isn't much good on the phone if it dies or you drop it and break it. I carried a phone and took notes there, as well as a small notepad.

ive been carrying a 3x5 spiral and miniature golf pencil since the 70's, but i'm sure there's an app for that now.
    Same here, there's always a small spiral notepad with a bic pen in my "office".

Same here. The only difference between the spiral notepads I used in the 70's and now is I use waterproof spiral notepads that allow pens to be used in the rain and don't run.

Images

Note definitely help me with my failing memory.... I think....

I just use the margins/white space in my AWOL guide with my little golf pencil.

Still carry paper and pencil.

But..more and more I've been using the voice record on my very small Casio Exilim camera.

It's strange sometimes when I listen to those recordings much later and wonder "what the hell did I think was important about that?"

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I can't function without a notepad, my memory is a fragile thing. I find my mind expresses itself better with the handwritten word, rather than typing.

I bought some waterproof notepads, they aren't particularly light at just over 4 ounces each, but they serve double duty to attach strips of Leukotape to. I'll journal from the front and make my to-do lists in the back, so it will get lighter as I dispose of the lists.

Those look awesome! Going to pick up a few. Thanks!

I always take a rite in the rain notepad and pencil, but I like to journal at the end of my day or beginning of the day when I'm hiking

Right in the rain notebook. Kids fave me a pen for Christmas but pencil is just as good. Sometimes I just need to write something down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small 3x5, 4x6 Rite in the Rain book usually a non wire spiraled version always with a non leaking space pen that is compact, lite, and writes in the deep cold and rain. The Fabrikoid version lays flatter with no wire spiral to be concerned about puncturing a inflatable pad, tarp, tent, food sack, scratching anything, etc. I have dozens of them filled as personal trail journals with contacts, sayings, sketches, notes, alternate routes, etc and for making lists all on hikes. Good to get that stuff out of my head onto paper. Maybe I'm old school but I can take notes down on paper faster than I can text into a electronic device although I'm sure there is something available for $200 I don't know about.

Some of my notebooks from a few decades worth of hikes.
    CRW_4055.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Still carry paper and pencil.

But..more and more I've been using the voice record on my very small Casio Exilim camera.

It's strange sometimes when I listen to those recordings much later and wonder "what the hell did I think was important about that?"

Lol, just the other day I was looking at somthing I drew in one of my note pads, I've no clue what the heck it is, now I'm gonna start writing notes to myself about the notes I write.

Been carrying a note pad for about 30 years, every sines I started working in construction. Also good for jotting down ideas that periodically pop up about how to work a problem or project I might be working on away from work. I also like to slip in a few small pieces of graph paper and when I can find it isometric graph paper, neat stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

A small note book can also be used. To keep a daily journal about your hike. You will be, glad you did keep a journal when you are done.
    Grampie-N->2001

I've been following Handlebars Florida Trail hike, and wondered why no recent posts.

Then he posts this:

Note to reader: While I usually type my journal at the end of each day, I had to recreate all the journals from today thru Jan 24 because the IPhone randomly deleted all my recent journals. Sorry for the delay.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

The pencil has unlimited battery life, and is easily field-repairable many many times using a small knife. Pretty amazing really. And while regular paper isn't "waterproof", water won't really destroy it as effectively as it will an electronic gadget.

Sadly I grew up with computers and while I can type all day my hand cramps up when I try to write more than a few sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    The pencil has unlimited battery life, and is easily field-repairable many many times using a small knife. Pretty amazing really. And while regular paper isn't "waterproof", water won't really destroy it as effectively as it will an electronic gadget.

Sadly I grew up with computers and while I can type all day my hand cramps up when I try to write more than a few sentences.
    I grinned when I saw your lists of what-worked and what-didn't. I've been doing that for some time now. Especially when I've changed one or more major items in the kit. I suppose eventually Coyote will stand on his own two feet and you won't have to carry the load for three.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Some of my notebooks from a few decades worth of hikes.
    CRW_4055.jpg
    Nice! Always wished I'd kept a journal. I'm such a lazy bum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++