WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chester Gap to Jim And Molly Denton shelter

Any online resources for figuring the elevation gain for this small section? And for the entire trail really.

Nevermind, I think I answered my own question. I hate it when I talk out loud before using Google.

Ok while you're listening, 4.5 miles in and approximately 400ft in elevation gain. Do I have that correct? Putting a short out and back hike togetherfor Saturday. Temps appear to be cold and clear, about right for a dayhike

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Ok while you're listening, 4.5 miles in and approximately 400ft in elevation gain. Do I have that correct? Putting a short out and back hike togetherfor Saturday. Temps appear to be cold and clear, about right for a dayhike
    Is Chester Gap 522? If so, ATDIST.com is showing 5.2 miles. It is a very easy hike. I actually may be in the area Friday night. and will keep an eye out for you.

I don't have the stats but it is not a hard section at all.

Snow could make it more interesting, maybe. Thanks for the confirmation

Look for the kids with lightsabers and say hello (don't be afraid)

Look for the kids with lightsabers and say hello (don't be afraid)
    I will keep an eye out for the sabers.

Snow could make it more interesting, maybe. Thanks for the confirmation
    I hiked in Shenandoah National Park yesterday (central district) and drove Skyline drive to Front Royal after my hike. The remaining snow seems to be melting pretty quickly. Given the lower elevation of this section, my guess is that there is little snow on the trail there right now. However, we are supposed to have a storm tomorrow that could change the situation. I hiked in the Rose River area yesterday. On any slope that gets reasonable amounts of sun the snow was nearly gone. But in the hollows there was still snow and, worse, ice on the trail. I had my Asolo boots and didn't need crampons, although I did carry them. I normally swear by my trail runners but the Asolos are really nice in snow.

Good info, coffee! I have fugitive gtx via asolo tHat are champions of slop. what I've read about tomorrow's forecast is favorable as for hiking later this week. Will do my best to keep our feet dry! Bread bags on top of wool like the old days.

Unless I can figure a way to mitigate the cold temps expected for Saturday I may have to cancel this, kids and cold and hiking don't always go well together. But good to know details about this spot.

Unless I can figure a way to mitigate the cold temps expected for Saturday I may have to cancel this, kids and cold and hiking don't always go well together. But good to know details about this spot.
    Highs are supposed to be 15-20 and then there's the wind chill ... I'm thinking of a day hike in SNP but not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Highs are supposed to be 15-20 and then there's the wind chill ... I'm thinking of a day hike in SNP but not sure yet.
    I am still trying to come up with a plan as well. I am hoping to test how a 40 deg EE quilt and a 20 Deg WM bag do doubled up. I have used the 20 deg bag to about 15 so I think I should be plenty warm. I likely won't make a decision to go or not until Friday after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I am still trying to come up with a plan as well. I am hoping to test how a 40 deg EE quilt and a 20 Deg WM bag do doubled up. I have used the 20 deg bag to about 15 so I think I should be plenty warm. I likely won't make a decision to go or not until Friday after work.

Current weather for Linden, VA is -6 Saturday morning. I am gonna have to skip the trip.

Images

I'm planning on hitting Shenandoah National Park Saturday morning for a frigid day hike on a westward facing high ridge . Gonna take yaks for slick spots to slip on in a pinch.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++