Cool Section Hiking in Shenandoah Natl Park

I am planning a section hike in mid-May of Shenandoah Natl. Park with my daughter (I am 55 and she is 21) starting from the north. Does anyone have advice for this section of the trail and for women hikers in general? Other than day hikes, this will be the first time for both of us. Thank you.

Journal Entries

Littlepigeon,
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze! Hope you stick around.
    The trail through SNP is one of the easiest parts of the AT, with relatively gentle grades, scenic views, abundant wildlife, an escape route close by (Skyline Drive), and access to civilized food at several points.
    There's a good chance you'll encounter a lot of thru-hikers at that time of year, so the campsites and shelters may be a little busier than you'd like.
    I hope you've gotten a trail guide (www.theatguide.com) and a good trail map. There's a lot to learn, but once you get started, it's really not all that complicated.

That's my old stomping grounds since the 1970's. Belle's remarks are spot on. Excellent choice for a first AT experience.
    Byrd's Nest No. 2 shelter is a magical place, especially in good weather with a full moon rising in the east as the sun sets in the west.

Thanks for the link, I do need to get the guide and map. I have read every book about the AT that I could find since last summer. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get back to our car when we finish, but we still have plenty of time to worry about that. Our goal is to hike the entire 100 miles in about 8 days. We were hoping to miss the bubble of thru-hikers, but it's the only time we can get away from our jobs to do it. We are debating about taking a tent or not, perhaps just an emergency tent in case the shelters are full. I need to see the map to see how far apart the shelters are spaced.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepigeon View Post
    Thanks for the link, I do need to get the guide and map. I have read every book about the AT that I could find since last summer. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get back to our car when we finish, but we still have plenty of time to worry about that. Our goal is to hike the entire 100 miles in about 8 days. We were hoping to miss the bubble of thru-hikers, but it's the only time we can get away from our jobs to do it. We are debating about taking a tent or not, perhaps just an emergency tent in case the shelters are full. I need to see the map to see how far apart the shelters are spaced.
    http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...tation-options
    Webpage above has a link to AT shuttles arranged from south to north along the trail. Find someone in that area, give them a call and arrange for them to give you a ride, preferably at the beginning of your hike, so you can walk back to your car.

Do not even think about not taking a tent. A tent is a necessity. If you arrive at a shelter in the rain, and it's full, will you expect/demand that someone should go out in the rain and set up their tent? Nope, that will make you extremely unpopular. Bring a tent. There are plenty of lightweight options on the market. I'm not a gear guru, but if you need help finding one, just let us know. Others will chime in with their recommendations.

Enjoy your hike!

Images

You need a tent. The shelters are often full, especially in May, and besides that the tent areas are often far more appealing. There are usually nice tent sites near the shelters, or you could have the option to stay in one of the developed campgrounds during the week (and get a shower ).

Shenandoah is a nice hike. Plan to stop at the waysides for a meal - it's worthwhile and saves carrying that meal. We stayed overnight at Skyland in a cabin, which was fun, and ate at the lodge that night. The trail is easier than other places in Virginia, but don't be fooled by people telling you it's "flat" as there are some good climbs along the way.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Practice with all your equipment at home before hitting the trail. It will ease the nervousness of that first night in the wood feeling, and make for a better trip by having confidence in your equipment and more importantly yourselves. Enjoy.

I've been section hiking with my daughter (48/13) for the last 5 years and I have to say, GET A TENT! Shelters may A) be full due to any number of factors and B) be FULL (and I mean OMG! What was THAT!?) of mice and other things. A tent is less than 10# and you can easily split the weight (I carry the bulk of the weight b/c I want my daughter to have a great time! This year she wants more weight, huzzah!) I need to look at this section as well as I'm tired of the freaking RAIN every year and would like some more options to get out of it (wussy? Maybe. But I'm out there!)

Images

take a tent.

here's a link to a list of shuttle options that can get you from the start to the end. I would recommend shuttling at the start of your hike then hiking back to your car. This allows you to hike your pace and not worry about scheduling a shuttle. The only reason you wouldn't want to do this is if you lack confidence that you will go the whole way. That would require a second shuttle if you cut the hike short.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I went out to shanandoa this weekend and hiked a couple of sections, and back county camped, in preparation of taking my girls in the gpring. There are some elevations that may be challenging if you are new. Take the time to check out Stony Man and Little Stony Man. They were fun. Also consider a hammock, I hang regularly but I was shocked at how little flat land was available to set up a tent at least where I was. I am sure there are clearings around the shelters but around Stony Man it was all rock and hills. Thought you might like to see a portion of the AT before the spring. 20160221_125339.jpg

++ New Posts ++