WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default EE Revelation vs. Convert

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What would you like to know? I just received my 10* Convert and really like it.

The company has been amazing. I originally ordered the slim width but after taking measurements I emailed and asked them to change it to a regular width (I'm 5'5" and 125#). Then, three week after I placed my order, I noticed they added some colors. I emailed them again and asked them to change the color if they could. Again, they did as I asked. I received it Saturday Feb. 6th.

I am happy I went with the Convert because I plan to use it as a quilt in warmer weather and a sleeping bag in colder weather. I figured this would be ideal for a 10* bag.

If there are any other questions I can answer, let me know.

My take is that if you are looking at cold temperatures (near or below freezing), then a quilt that zips up is nice to keep out drafts. So, I primarily use two quilts. A Zpacks 10 that zips up, and an EE Revelation 40. I only zip the zpacks when temps are near freezing. Otherwise, I use it like a quilt.

If you don't know whether you'll like using a quilt, the Convert might be a safer bet, though.

I looked at the zpacks and it seems to be more of a hopeless sleeping bag than a quilt (dootbox does not open fully).
    The convert doesn't seem to be a quilt exactly since it doesn't come with straps and clips, so it's just a sleeping bag that opens up into a blanket.
    I've never used a quilt before and I am also wondering if an xlite will be warm enough in below freezing temps.

What made you decide against the revelation?

I wasn't convinced I wanted a just a quilt yet, especially since I've never used one and it's a lot of money to spend. I liked the idea that the Convert could be used as both a quilt and a sleeping bag.

I have a 20* enigma and ordered the revelation 40 for my summer bag. I love the enigma it's great. If you strap to your pad and hunker in you'll get your temp rating with the proper set up. Neither have a hood I'm pretty sure and one cost more. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of a quilt until I used it and not looking back as they work for me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received my Revelation the other day and was surprised to see just how open the underside of the quilt was. I believe in my mind I was picturing the Convert when in fact I purchased the Revelation.

Check out their '101 series' on just how the quilts are supposed to work. Great information and pictures detailing just how different sleeping with a quilt is (compared to something like the Convert).

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/blog/quilts-101/

The Convert does have snaps on it, across the zipper at the top, middle and bottom so I'm thinking it might be possible to do some DIY pad straps.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The Convert does have snaps on it, across the zipper at the top, middle and bottom so I'm thinking it might be possible to do some DIY pad straps.
    Interesting... I asked EE today and they said no... Maybe I wasn't clear with my question.

Quote Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
    I looked at the zpacks and it seems to be more of a hopeless sleeping bag than a quilt (dootbox does not open fully).
    The convert doesn't seem to be a quilt exactly since it doesn't come with straps and clips, so it's just a sleeping bag that opens up into a blanket.
    I've never used a quilt before and I am also wondering if an xlite will be warm enough in below freezing temps.
    I purchased a 30* Revelation and plan on pairing it up with a 30* bag for a March 1st start.

The straps provided with the Revelation, if properly used, are intended to minimize most (if not all) drafting issues associated with a quilt.

If of the appropriate rating for the season, the quilt should provide you just as much warmth (without the hood).

Quote Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
    Interesting... I asked EE today and they said no... Maybe I wasn't clear with my question.
    Possibly. What was the question you asked? The snap at top and bottom are to keep the zipper closed. I assumed the one mid way was if you wanted to use it more like the Enigma (closed foot box)

I own 2 revelation quilts and love them. They are very versatile over a wide temp range. As stated above, the strap system can be varied to increase or decrease dead air space. The key for quilts in cold weather is adequate headgear with appropriate base & insulating layers. You may end up wearing all your clothes to sleep in and the variable width of a quilt accommodates variable volumes.

The convert is hoodless sleeping bag, heavier and more expensive. The down below your body is pretty worthless as it is compressed and the majority of your insulation is provided by the pad.

I think the "skills" needed for using a quilt are blown a bit out of proportion

Tim is pretty good at taking things back if they can be resold in his garage sale. Great company, great quality, design and value.

You'll be happy with either, but bet your next purchase would be a Revelation

If you plan to go below freezing, I would go with the Convert. Many of the quilts do not have footboxes that open, and I have found that even with the Revelation, I never use it fully opened in blanket mode. I keep thinking that I want that option, but I just never use it. Also, my point about the zpacks was that when it's cold, I find it much better to have it zipped up to prevent drafts. Therefore, if you want to extend the range to below freezing, I suggest going with one that zips up.

I have revelations and an accomplice...and while I don't use the revelation's "blanket" mode very much, I really do appreciate the pad attachment system and the generous roominess of the quilt. I've always felt sleeping bags constricting.

And, for the times that I have used it in blanket mode...I have been thankful. For instance, just lying around the house, or last winter when I threw a revelation on top of me and my son's summer sleeping bags to take us both below freezing.

++ New Posts ++