WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks duplex question

Does anyone think getting this tent in thicker material is worth the few extra ounces?

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...0-74)-is-ideal

My personal opinion as a Duplex owner is that I'm happy with the 0.51 ounce CF.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I'm happy with the 0.51 CF on my zPacks Hexamid twin.

Journal Entries

I just ordered a duplex with the camo. It's a little thicker then the base model but not as thick as the thickest one. I think it should be fine but depends on how rough you are with your equipment.

Except that I don't see myself in a camp tent. I wish midweight option came in other colors

*camo

Also, would the thicker fabric make the tent last longer? Or do you think it would degrade at the same rate as .51

Quote Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
    *camo

Also, would the thicker fabric make the tent last longer? Or do you think it would degrade at the same rate as .51
    That's an excellent question. I've never asked zPacks. They would probably have an answer.

Don't they mention on the web site that the 0.74 material is slightly less translucent? that might be a consideration for some.
    While I have your attention...contemplating a new shelter and the zPacks offerings are on my radar. How does Cuben material compare to nylon in terms of wind and rain sounds? I'm well aware of the sound of even the lightest drops hitting the canopy of my current tent. I'm curious if Cuben material is similar or different?
    Thanks for your input.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
    Does anyone think getting this tent in thicker material is worth the few extra ounces?
    http://hikelighter.com/2015/02/28/zpacks-duplex-tent-2/

Scroll down to Fabrics to read John Abela's take.

For me, as an ULer and sometimes SULer mainly LD hiker, I still went with the .74 CF Hexamid. I reasoned even though I'm a gram weenie most of the time cost and durability factored into the fabric wt choice with my average 3000+ trail miles a yr.(I use the gear I have ALOT) and variety of on and off trail treks and sometimes more abrasive environments than always on highly maintained trail east coast forested trails. If I wanted to or could afford new $600 UL/SUL shelters every 18 months or so I would have gone to the .51. Translucency could be a consideration of the different choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Don't they mention on the web site that the 0.74 material is slightly less translucent? that might be a consideration for some.
    While I have your attention...contemplating a new shelter and the zPacks offerings are on my radar. How does Cuben material compare to nylon in terms of wind and rain sounds? I'm well aware of the sound of even the lightest drops hitting the canopy of my current tent. I'm curious if Cuben material is similar or different?
    Thanks for your input.

Wayne
    Since Dyneema Composite Fabrics(CF) have less or no stretch(sag) compared to silny the same shelter other than the fabric difference the raindrops have a slightly different sound. I tested this on my MLD Solomid XL in .75 CF verse someone else's MLD Solomid XL in Pro silny.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I went with the lightest version of CF and do not regret that choice.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

How does Cuben material compare to nylon in terms of wind and rain sounds? I'm well aware of the sound of even the lightest drops hitting the canopy of my current tent. I'm curious if Cuben material is similar or different?
    I find rain to be very loud when hitting the canopy ... that being said, I'm usually too tired to care and I do carry ear plugs. I can't really compare it to nylon since it has been a very long time since I used a slynylon tent ... back in the '90s before my long hiatus from backpacking. Then I bought my hexamid in 2013.

Thanks Coffee. Ear plugs are part of my 12 or 19 Essentials. The last time I was in my single wall WPB tent I thought acrons were hitting it. I stuck my head out and it was just a few seconds of drizzle. Cuben can't be any worse.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

What was really interesting last year on the PCT is hearing the rain stop in the middle of the night. The next thing I knew I was waking up with my tent walls collapsing from snow! A few shakes of the canopy mostly fixed it. Then I had to retighten guy lines.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne
    I have never owners nor slept in a CF tent but I have consciously observed the difference in sound between my tent and my brothers Zpacks tent. The cuben fiber has a "tighter" / high pitch sound. My musician family members can probably describe it better but, Yes it sounds different. Not sure it is much to
    wlrry about

Anything about a ground cloth for under Cuban fiber tent.

I went with the lighter fabric, but I got a ground cloth. I also got the interior optional liner, which I'll test out this season to see how it does with condensation. It also blocks out the light, but I bring eye blinders with me, so that part doesn't really matter to me.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did get the lightest CF fabric for my zPacks Hexamid Twin and love it! I also got the bathtub floor, which is made out of seemingly durable 1.0-weight CF. I use the bathtub floor as a groundsheet on shelter floors.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I went with the lighter fabric, but I got a ground cloth. I also got the interior optional liner, which I'll test out this season to see how it does with condensation. It also blocks out the light, but I bring eye blinders with me, so that part doesn't really matter to me.

Can you pls provide the link for the optional liner? I am failing at finding it. Thanks.

Had a 74oz duplex, chose 1oz for its replacement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++