WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Of all the people who eat "Trail Mix"

Of all the people who eat Trail Mix, be it purchased in a bag or made at home, how many of those do you think eat it on a trail?
    I rarely purchase the bagged versions, as they are usually too expensive, or contain ingredients that I don't care for.
    My favourite trail mix is simple: Peanuts (plain, with salt, or honey roasted), raisins, and M&M's. The M&M's make it less likely I will get sick of eating the stuff after a few weeks.

I agree most bagged mixes are not bought by hikers or if they do they might as wriete "Newbe" on their forehead.

The secret ingredient are some Good and Plenty licorice pieces in the bag (assuming you like licorice) and don't mind the ribbing that you have drugs mixed in with your trail mix (Good and Plentys are pink and white pieces that look like cold capsules. For some reason as the hike goes on the Good and Plentys get picked out first.

The only time I eat it is on the trail, but there I find it essential for keeping up my energy. It gets a little monotonous, but I don't seem to get tired of it when I'm hiking. Back home, I can hardly stand the sight of it.

I just buy a big bag of the cheap stuff at the grocery when I'm in town, pack about two cups a day, and then pass around the rest to any other hikers who want it.

Costco has about the only decent pre-mixed GORP I know of. Kirkland -- their house brand. It's fresh and tastes good. I used to buy it for daytime snacks at work. Matter of fact, Costco carries a lot of hiker-friendly foodstuffs, up in the aisles near the front of the store.

Raisins, peanuts, M&Ms and honey-nut cheerios. Occasionally I'll put together something more exotic, but buying the separate ingredients usually results in a year's supply.

I make my own: any and all kinds of nuts, raisins or craisins (really any dried fruit), dark chocolate chips, an extra dash of salt or coconut oil, and when I can find them, sweet potato chips and banana chips

Journal Entries

I always eat it on trail and lots of it. About 4 oz per day.

Whats not to like in it:

nuts
    chocolate
    dried fruit
    salt
    sugar

The only way to make it better would be to put bacon in it. Actually, that might be the one way to ruin bacon. I eat it on the side though.

coconut, dried apricots?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I always eat it on trail and lots of it. About 4 oz per day.

Whats not to like in it:

nuts
    chocolate
    dried fruit
    salt
    sugar

The only way to make it better would be to put bacon in it. Actually, that might be the one way to ruin bacon. I eat it on the side though.
    you, sir, are a genius.

I enjoy Indian food...never been to India
    I like Bahn mi but, have never considered a trip to Vietnam
    And I drink Tang. I am still hopeful for that trip to the moon.

I always have a bag a trail for snacks during the day. For me it is mostly about nuts. I prefer the deluxe nuts that don't have peanuts and are mostly almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, etc. In addition I like dried fruit. I'm less interested in candy in my trail mix.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Costco has about the only decent pre-mixed GORP I know of. Kirkland -- their house brand. It's fresh and tastes good. I used to buy it for daytime snacks at work. Matter of fact, Costco carries a lot of hiker-friendly foodstuffs, up in the aisles near the front of the store.
    Yeah, for some strange reason that kirkland gorp is amazing, ant it's cheaper than if you bought ingredients and mixed yourself.

Garlic
    Images

I always have a bag of cashews, and a bag of raisins, but never mix them together. I snack from either or both, depending on if I want fat or sugar or both.

I walked into Flagstaff for resupply on the AZT and found an expensive health food store near campus. They wanted $14 a pound for trail mix! Nuts were about $8/pound, dried fruit about $3. Why would anyone pay that much for someone to mix those up?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I do not buy the pre-mixed stuff. Mine is nuts (usually ground) dried fruits, coconut meat, a bit of coconut oil, chocolate. I have been known to change it up and add some cheez-its.

Assorted nuts, sesame stix, banana chips, dried pineapple, just a few M&Ms, bought in bulk and mixed together. No raisins.

I'm a big fan of your "traditional" trail mix including peanuts, m&m's, raisens, cashews, etc but i like to add in a bag of Mint flavored m&m's to change things up. I also like to sometimes add cheezits or goldfish depending on how much i want to spend lol. One of my favorite snacks on trail is a peanut butter and trail mix wrap.

I have also made my own using bulk items of "better/healthier" ingrediants but it gets to be very expensive.

For what it's worth... my local Wegmans has a trail-mix bar. About a dozen ingredients to choose from, and I think it's $8 a pound. They have several varieties of dried fruit, nuts, chocolate bits, M & Ms, yogurt raisins, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ahh, the perpetual bag of trail mix. Keep adding to it every resupply. Just don't let anybody dip their filthy hands into it (including your own hands).

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I agree most bagged mixes are not bought by hikers or if they do they might as wriete "Newbe" on their forehead.
    Wow, the level of derp right there just boggles the mind.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I mix my own for weekend hikes. Peanuts, pecans, walnuts, raisins, craisins, dates, and a few MMs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++