WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Short VT Section in Winter

I'm thinking about hiking from Rt140 (Wallingford) to Rt 103 (Clarendon) next week. Just a short day hike, and it looks like elevation change of about 1000 (up and then down). Anyone been through this section recently? Good idea or bad idea at this time of year?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I haven't been out down there lately but I am sure it would be fun. Depending on when you go next week it could be cold or we might have more than the minimal snow we currently have. As long as you are comfortable with all the necessary winter skills (route finding, thermo regulating, traction, etc) and well equipped I don't see why not to do it.

I live in Wallingford right near there. There is currently an inch or less of snow down, but there is some accumulation in the extended forecast so that might change by next week. I would recommend bringing traction devices, with all the freezing and thawing this winter there is likely to be some icy patches. I was a bit south of there around Big Branch early this week and portions of the trail were a sheet of ice. Nice section though, that climb up from 140 is switchbacked all the way up and then it's pretty smooth sailing to the gorge, nice views of Spring Lake to the right after you pass Minerva Hinchey shelter and reach the ridge

Journal Entries

The real hiking viking just passed through Vermont. He didn't seem to have too much trouble. If you have Instagram you can direct message him possibly and ask how it is on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    I live in Wallingford right near there. There is currently an inch or less of snow down, but there is some accumulation in the extended forecast so that might change by next week. I would recommend bringing traction devices, with all the freezing and thawing this winter there is likely to be some icy patches. I was a bit south of there around Big Branch early this week and portions of the trail were a sheet of ice. Nice section though, that climb up from 140 is switchbacked all the way up and then it's pretty smooth sailing to the gorge, nice views of Spring Lake to the right after you pass Minerva Hinchey shelter and reach the ridge
    Similar conditions in the southern White Mountains as of last weekend.

Conditions are changing daily. Last week the ground was bare, today we have 3-4 inches in the valley and much more up high. With the wicked cold artic air settling in for the rest of the week it will stick around. Who knows what it will be like next week?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slo, there's a lot more snow on my roof right now than was underfoot in the mountains last weekend. A lot of what's there came down early in the week... was it Monday? I forget, already. Not used to seeing so little snow in the winter. But really, ye weather gods, I'm not complaining.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    I'm thinking about hiking from Rt140 (Wallingford) to Rt 103 (Clarendon) next week. Just a short day hike, and it looks like elevation change of about 1000 (up and then down). Anyone been through this section recently? Good idea or bad idea at this time of year?

Thanks!

My wife and I hiked up and down Killington last Sunday and all that was needed were micro spikes. Packed down snow of around 3 inches maybe on the trail up and around the last 800 feet or so of elevation

We didn't get much from the coastal storm over the weekend up here in the mountains, but we have been getting snow squalls from the cold front starting to push in. I imagine Vermont is getting them even more then we are over in NH. It's been one crazy winter, that's for sure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Worked on the first two miles north of Vt 140 on Sunday the 7th

On Sunday the 7th I sawed out some of the smaller downed limbs in the first two miles north of the parking lot at 140. These two miles were snow free and amazingly ice free too (southerly exposure). Beautiful day to be out and clearing trail.

We've had off and on snow showers the past two days, light accumulation with two inches here at 900*. More at 2,000 ft. A dangerous cold front is pushing through and this weekend the predicted wind chills will be minus 25* or worse. The parking lot at 140 is no longer snow free.

Don't recommend going out this weekend, however, Monday looks like it will be in high twenties and by Tuesday 40* with a wintry mix (snow, ice, sleet and rain) on that day.

Dropping down into Clarendon Gorge with its northerly exposure this time of year is guaranteed to be an ice slide. Best to take that one sitting down or you'll end up that way sooner or later :-)

Images

Thanks for all of the advice. I did the hike today in about 2.5 hours. No problems, had some really beautiful views. Only slid on my butt couple of times.

Temps ranged in the teens. Not much wind.

The most striking scenery was just as I started the descent into Clarendon gorge. For about 1/4 mile there was no snow- just green fir trees and pine needles covering the ground. A striking contrast to the snow covered world that was the rest of the hike.

It was a great day!

Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

++ New Posts ++