Default Long or Short Hair?!

To chop it all off, or to not chop it all off? That is the question.

I have been growing out my hair for a few months now to get it all one length so I can throw it up, but I'm starting to think just cutting it all off would be the way to go? Are there some ladies out there with past experience that can shed some light on this topic for me?

This is such a personal choice that I hesitate to provide advice. What do you want? Will cutting off your hair be traumatic to you? It is for some people.

I've had shortish hair since 2007 because it is so easy to wash, dry, and be on my way. That's a point in its favor in terms of backpacking. It also leaves my neck cold. That's a point against.

Definitely your choice! Personally I would much rather deal with the hassle (which isn't bad) of 6 months of long hair instead of years of short hair waiting for it to grow back out.

my hair is baby-fine so I will be chopping it off just enough to keep it off my neck but still pull it back. I don't want to hassle with a hairbrush tbh

Images

I've had all lengths of hair at some point during all my hiking/backpacking experiences. By far, the easiest was and is long hair. I had long hair on my AT thru last year. Short hair leaves a cold neck, as noted above, and if it is thick is always wet and sweaty. At least that's how it works for me due to my hair type. Short to medium length hair for me always looks like a mess, too, again probably just hair type (thick and wavy). The long hair was easy, just comb it out, put it in a pony tail, braid it and put an elastic in the end. Done. The braid helps to keep the hair from getting tangled and knotted, which can happen when it is in contact with the top of the pack. A bun works well, too, especially when it is hot and humid. I only carried a width tooth comb and the elastics and washed my hair about once a week or so in town.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by mirandaminer View Post
    To chop it all off, or to not chop it all off? That is the question.

I have been growing out my hair for a few months now to get it all one length so I can throw it up, but I'm starting to think just cutting it all off would be the way to go? Are there some ladies out there with past experience that can shed some light on this topic for me?

Hair? Where?
    Sorry bad joke!

Images

With the problems with ticks, NO hair

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

cut it! it is freeing in more aspects of your life than just backpacking, and hey if you hate it, it grows back !

I have thick hair and it was about shoulder length when I started last year, long enough to put in a pony tail, not long enough to braid. I got sick of the heat on my neck and the tangles and cut it really short in Damascus at the Klip and Kurl. I have no regrets. It was cool, effortless, I tossed my comb, and it was easier to do the tick check. One less thing to worry about. I think if it had been longer, I would have kept it and braided it. I did get sunburnt on my neck until I remembered to sunblock there everyday. I agree with the poster above- it was freeing!

Long hair is fine in two braids or pigtails.

www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

I've always had short hair. I may go even shorter. In June I just might use the clippers like my husband does and cut it all off. I just have to remember to put a length guard on so I don't end up totally bald.

I've had shaved head and waist long and all in between during hiking times over the years. Currently I've been working it out from shaving it all off after my last mohawk and it's just a bit below my shoulders. I'm keeping it, personally.

I like that longer hair is easier (for me) to keep off my face and neck (if want it off your neck remember you'll need professional or just chop it hair cuts along the way) and starting in the cold months it adds an extra layer of protection around my head, ears, and neck.

Non-hiking having my hair short always meant more cold in winter than with longer lol.

But there is also that my hair is extremely straight and can be generally untangled by running my fingers through a little and for better I'm bringing a medium-toothed pick to run through it at night. Curly or otherwise more tangly hair I appreciate isn't so easy.

I agree with others, it's your body and your comfort. What does you head and stomach tell you you want?

Bonus thought: if you start of with long hair and decide you want it short you can fix that. other way around, not so much lol.

Journal Entries

I've been hiking with shoulder-blade length hair lately; however, for my hike this year I'll be cutting it all off... well, relatively all. It's very thick, very curly, and easily turns into a tangled mess without proper care, combing, and conditioner. Since I don't want to spend the 20 minutes or so to comb it everyday, nor do I want to carry de-tangler, it's going away. I weighed the options a bit and here were some of my thoughts.

Short Hair:
    Cold to start but I'm beginning at the end of March and so hope to miss the coldest temperatures.
    I'll wear a hat to keep warm when necessary.
    If it is to short it will look masculine and it may make it harder to hitch a ride. Sad fact for the fellas, but it's just easier to get a ride as a lady.
    It dries fast!
    It doesn't weigh much.
    It won't tangle up in pack straps, get in my face, or get caught on branches/ burrs.

Long Hair:
    Would be my usual length once I finish the hike if I want the same style.
    It will keep me warm (if dry)
    It takes a good 3-4 hours for my hair to dry completely when soaked through.
    It's heavy. (Thick and long)
    The time constraints involved.
    Easy to hitch a ride.

Those were some of the key things I thought about. Also, from prior experience I had a habit of getting it stuck on velcro (it's just that kinda hair), stuck in zippers (clothing/ bags, etc.), caught in necklaces (I carry a flint lighter and whistle on a neck chain), and it gets to be a sweaty mess in hot/ humid weather.

Because of all this I'm doing a short crop on one side and then longer on the other (just because I like the look) to help minimize weight, time, etc. etc. Everyone has different preferences and someone with straight, thin hair may not have the same issues as I. So, whatever you think (I just like pros and cons to make decisions)

Cheers!

I'm male, but I've had long hair for years, so I thought I'd chime in. I had hair about 4 inches past my shoulders for my 2010 thru, and did fine. Its currently close to mid back and I usually keep it braided. Ironically, I've found short hair to require more maintenance, I had to shave my head once a week in the Army, and I'm a pale redhead, so half my scalp burned if I was outdoors wearing the beret or patrol cap. Short hair looks ugly on me. It's also boring and I can't do anything with it, braid it, ect.

I've found long hair to be superior. I snip a couple inches off once every 8 months to a year, literally takes 3 minutes, tie it in a ponytail, snip a bit off the end. My showers take 10 minutes, even with a thorough shampoo and rinse. It's much warmer in winter, and only slightly hotter in summer. I live in TN, with 95 degree and high humidity summers and I've had no issues, even being outdoors most of the time. Not worried about ticks, I've never had an issue. Then again, I wear long sleeve shirts, pants tucked into socks, and put my hair up in a tight bun and wear a boonie hat in tick country.

I honestly couldn't wait to grow my hair out again once I left the Army.

Also, forgot to mention that I framed houses for 2 years before I went in the Army and had no issues with the heat, and I was outside all day in 95-100 degree weather building houses. Just keep it tied back or up in a bun and the heat won't be a problem.

The last time I hiked in Tahoe, I realized that I took the ability to pull my hair off of my face when it was long for granted. I have rocked a pixie for the last few years, but was contemplating growing it out. I could absolutely not STAND the wind whipping my hair onto my face when it was windy out there on the mountains. I was miserable! This last winter, I started growing my hair out again for the express purpose of pulling it off my face while hiking. It's either a buzz or long enough to braid for me, from now on. Hopefully when I hike a portion of the TRT this summer, I'll be able to braid it! One or the other, but I prefer longer.

yeah your hear your choice lol ... personally i like longer on the trail (but i won't go real short) I think if I would go real short it would be much better then long.

++ New Posts ++