WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jersey hike itin help

I will be in New Jersey this year very close to the AT with a few days to spare. I was thinking of getting dropped off at the Culver's Gap parking lot by Culver Lake and head north. I will most likely need to exit close to where highway 94 intersects with the trail. I should have a ride waiting on me there. Is this a decent say three day trip? I have three maybe 4 days, but I figured going through Stokes and High Point state park would be nice.

Feel free to throw out ideas and opinions and best camping spots. I'm not too concerned with mileage, but 25 - 40 is basically what I'm after. Thanks!

Don't discount Worthington State Forest.

RUNT ''13''

Images

assuming you havent already done it, the southern end of the kittatiny ridge is much more scenic and enjoyable then the northern end. looking at the elevation and the presence of high point, etc, i can see why it mean at a glance seem otherwise, but most of culver gap to high point is the most boring stretch in NJ. either del water gap north for 30-40 miles or route 94 north for 30-40 miles are better hikes.

Dress warmly. Gonna get cold.

Never hiked in NJ at all so no clue about the terrain. Also I should have noted that this hike won't happen until it is warmer :-) I can look into what has been suggested so far. I just need to make sure I don't have to drive too far away from 94/AT cross or I won't have time. Hard to explain, but my window and shuttle distance will be somewhat tight I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    assuming you havent already done it, the southern end of the kittatiny ridge is much more scenic and enjoyable then the northern end. looking at the elevation and the presence of high point, etc, i can see why it mean at a glance seem otherwise, but most of culver gap to high point is the most boring stretch in NJ. either del water gap north for 30-40 miles or route 94 north for 30-40 miles are better hikes.

Wouldn't the route I suggested include the famous suspension bridge? That seems pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post
    Wouldn't the route I suggested include the famous suspension bridge? That seems pretty cool.
    Yes and agreed. From Culver's gap to Route 94 is roughly 35 miles. From Culver's gap some highlights of your trip would be the Sunrise Pavilion, High Point State HQ at Route 24, then up to the Highpoint Monument (definitely worth the short side trail to it), Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge, some boardwalking, some walking by farms and the suspension bridge. If you make it early go a little bit past Route 94 and climb up to the Pinwheel Vista to finish off your hike with a great view. I think you'd enjoy that trip. If you do it report back when you are done and let us know what you thought of it.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Yes and agreed. From Culver's gap to Route 94 is roughly 35 miles. From Culver's gap some highlights of your trip would be the Sunrise Pavilion, High Point State HQ at Route 24, then up to the Highpoint Monument (definitely worth the short side trail to it), Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge, some boardwalking, some walking by farms and the suspension bridge. If you make it early go a little bit past Route 94 and climb up to the Pinwheel Vista to finish off your hike with a great view. I think you'd enjoy that trip. If you do it report back when you are done and let us know what you thought of it.
    Awesome thank you!

++ New Posts ++