WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Setting up tent in rain

Any tips to setting up your tent in the rain? I have the eureka solitaire 1 person tent. Wondering if there is anything that will help from getting it soaked while setting up?

I have a Gossamer -- same tent, but with aluminum poles. If you make sure that the fly is rolled out over the mesh during setup, you should be fine. In a driving rain, you need a tight pitch, or you might have some misting through the fly. Getting in and out can be a challenge in the rain.

I've heard that visit I only set it up one time and just havnt sone it that way yet. I still feel it'll get wet lol

Quote Originally Posted by radevil5 View Post
    Any tips to setting up your tent in the rain? I have the eureka solitaire 1 person tent. Wondering if there is anything that will help from getting it soaked while setting up?
    Buy any model tent from TarpTent or Hilleberg.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

With some practice you ought to be able to set up that tent in two minutes or less. If it's anything like my old Eureka Solitaire.

Roll out the tent, right-side up, so the fly is covering the rest of it. Insert the hoops, front and back. Stake out the corners, guy out the sides. Done.

tent.jpg

Wait until it stops raining. Seriously. More often then not, there's a lull in the rain right about dinner time. Take advantage of it while you can.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

+1 on learn to set up your tent quickly. Most of them can be one in well under two minutes, and it takes a pretty heavy rain to be a real problem with that.

And then, if it's dumping
    +1 on the wait until the rain slacks off a bit it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have the same tent and it has worked very well for me in severe thunderstorms. I have not thru hiked the AT but I have used it on numerous backcountry trips. Like the others have said, it can be set up in the rain without getting the inside wet with the rain fly covering the mesh. However, I will be upgrading to a different tent for a thru hike. Cons for the Solitaire are no vestibule, it's not free standing and not enough head room you to sit up inside. A vestibule is usefulness for cooking under during the rain and storing your wet shoes and pack. And if your going to be stuck in a tent for a while during a thunderstorm it's nice to be able to sit up. Good Luck. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using a Eureka Spitfire 1 tent for the last several years and I have also found that speed is the key. I clear away any sticks or debris at leisure and then when I am ready to set up the tent it only takes a minute or two. Sometimes I will only put in the two end stakes at first and then once it is up and the rain fly is on I will go back around and put in the other stakes.
    Zach

If you have a freestanding tent, learn to set it up upside down...then when the poles are in, quickly flip it over and throw the rainfly over it and then secure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    If you have a freestanding tent, learn to set it up upside down...then when the poles are in, quickly flip it over and throw the rainfly over it and then secure it.
    Or, if you have the factory footprint with your freestanding tent, set the fly up first, then the inner. Dry as pie.

Images

I have one of those tents and used it quite a bit and can remember setting it up in the rain twice. Both times it stayed pretty dry, nothing that a quick wipe with a bandana couldn't handle. Always pack the tent with the fly attached and closed. Practice setting it up in different spots so you are able to do it pretty fast. That tent was pretty forgiving.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Just get a single-wall tent or, even better, a tarp+inner net combo. We have a Six Moon Designs Haven tarp with an inner net. Here's how setup goes for us in even a downpour.

1) Pull tarp out of pack and stuff sack.
    2) Drop our packs roughly in the middle of where the tarp will go.
    3) Calmly set up tarp, taking our time safe in the knowledge that from this point on, the only things that will get wet are the outside of our waterproof tarp and us (and we're probably already soaked anyway).
    4) Set up groundcloth and inner net from outside of tent.

Voila. When we do it this way, the inner net and the inside of the tarp are basically completely dry by the time we climb in.

I tied a loop of cord to each corner of my tyvek ground sheet. Thinking I was matching the grommets on the store bought ground sheet. It helps. Practiced setting up the tent upside down. The tent is a copper spur.

I waited for it to calm down a bit. I was usually pretty wet anyway so it didn't bother me to set up in the rain much. I got to where I could set up in a few minutes consistently, then try to change into dry clothes while entering the tent. Started out with a small shammy cloth to dry the inside but then just pushed out any puddles with my bandanna. Next time it was sunny, I'd either hang it up to dry or set it up while I ate. Then the next night (pretty much most nights) start all over again.
    - Trail name: Thumper

The best advice I can give is practice setting up your tent and once you are efficient at it then practice putting it up under a sprinkler in your yard. You will learn quickly what adjustments you need to make to your routine in order to minimize the any water you may get in the tent.
    "Chance favors a prepared mind."
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Setting up in the rain WILL result in a wet interior. Something you'll get used to. Carry a few of those durable, reusable shop towels (often blue, sold in a roll like regular paper towels). You can sop up the water, wring out the towel through the door, and go back for more. Great for condensation too.

Remember. It's not staying dry that is important. You won't. It's staying dry enough that really matters. A little moisture here and there is nothing to fret.

Journal Entries

Set it up under shelter, and then move it if its free standing.

Okay. A question for everyone that has ever set up a double-walled tent in the rain . . .

Assuming that you are practiced in setting up your tent so that you are not struggling for an extended period of time to get it up . . .

Have any of you, ever, actually had an issue with your tent being wet enough to be a problem because of setting it up in the rain?

I spent 45 years of my life camping and backpacking in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot. I have set up many tents, many times, in the rain. I have never had them get wet enough, while being set up in the rain, to be a problem (I have had moisture problems due to poor site selection and/or poor tent design). I see and understand the concern of people that don't have the experience in the rain, but, I am baffled by how many people, apparently with experience, seem to think that having a tent that can be set up underneath its rain fly is an important feature in a responsible tent design.

Can anyone help me get more perspective on this seemingly unimportant but ubiquitous concern in our backpacking subculture?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++