WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Garmin to acquire DeLorme

Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) has entered into an agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of DeLorme, a privately-held company that designs and markets consumer-based satellite tracking devices with two-way communication and navigational capabilities.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/...139k6hu8m53522

Virginia Tortoise

I've used DeLorme paper maps in the past. I thought they were good quality.

DeLorme Gazeteers are a section hiker's best friend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    DeLorme Gazeteers are a section hiker's best friend.

I have a dozen of them............I hope they don't move Eartha!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I have a dozen of them............I hope they don't move Eartha!
    Great place to visit, hope it doesn't get closed! Lots of maps are available at the store there.

I didn't know about Eartha! Must go visit some day. I used to have a DeLorme mapping program for my PC, way back before Google maps got good. I used it to do "flyovers" of upcoming section hikes. I use the Gazeteers to find trailheads and plot bike routes between them. These days I scan pages from the Gazeteer onto my phone for reference while hiking. Love a good map.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Check out the Benchmark Atlas. Not as widespread as Delorme (yet) and mainly in the American West, but i find them preferable to the Gazeteer in most cases when available.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

They are closing the map store in Freeport but they haven't said anything about Eartha. I hope they still let the public get in to see it but without the store they may not want the hassle. It would be hard to donate it to someone since its so big.

Images

According to the Bangor Daily News article, Eartha is staying put and will still be open for public viewing. The map store is sadly closing in March.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/02/1...maker-delorme/

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Check out the Benchmark Atlas. Not as widespread as Delorme (yet)...
    That's the understatement of the day - DeLorme - 50 states. Benchmark - 11 states (exclusively in the west). It will be interesting to see how Garmin incorporates the DeLorme atlas data into their cartographic products. It would also be nice if Garmin ever allowed one to use a legally-licensed Garmin map on all of Garmin devices registered to the map licensee - like the Avenza map store for Apple and Android devices.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool - could you imagine a Delorme In-Reach with a Garmin mapping system all in one?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    According to the Bangor Daily News article, Eartha is staying put and will still be open for public viewing. The map store is sadly closing in March.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/02/1...maker-delorme/
    Thanks Rat!!! Glad to read that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Cool - could you imagine a Delorme In-Reach with a Garmin mapping system all in one?
    That synergy was definitely a factor in the acquisition according to news reports. How long it will take them to bring something along this line to market is the question, and at what price. The acquisition also gives such potential products the financial backing of the larger company, to fund R&D, and also for litigation expenses, etc.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/02/1...old-to-garmin/

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-garmin-...s-company.html

http://gpsworld.com/garmin-to-acquir...mpany-delorme/
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    That's the understatement of the day - DeLorme - 50 states. Benchmark - 11 states (exclusively in the west).
    Those 11 states cover roughly a third of the CONUS in terms of total area covered, however. Now, I admit it did give you a chance to make a flippant remark. As inaccurate as it may be it seems. (Or do you REALLY like this classic comic??)

In any case, it was to make people aware of a growing alternative. Thanks for helping me out. For those who travel beyond the NJ pike, they are good to know.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-14-2016 at 12:59.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Those 11 states cover roughly a third of the CONUS in terms of total area covered, however. Now, I admit it did give you a chance to make a flippant remark. As inaccurate as it may be it seems. (Or do you REALLY like this classic comic??)

In any case, it was to make people aware of a growing alternative. Thanks for helping me out. For those who travel beyond the NJ pike, they are good to know.
    Not a flippant remark - an accurate one. Continuing on the accuracy thing, not one square foot of the "third of the CONUS" you reference is anywhere near the AT, so while it may be growing, its decidedly not an alternative. Next we cue the NJ jokes, but I'll not engage since I'm long out of middle school. Now do you want to talk about passive-aggressiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    That synergy was definitely a factor in the acquisition according to news reports. How long it will take them to bring something along this line to market is the question, and at what price. The acquisition also gives such potential products the financial backing of the larger company, to fund R&D, and also for litigation expenses, etc.
    That is often the rationale given for mergers, IPOs and the like. Doesn't always pan out. Sometimes it's just a matter of a larger outfit purchasing a smaller competitor in order to shut it down.

I was seriously contemplating picking up a delorme inreach, but this news makes me hesitate. I wonder if product support for the inreach will be continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Not a flippant remark - an accurate one. Continuing on the accuracy thing, not one square foot of the "third of the CONUS" you reference is anywhere near the AT, so while it may be growing, its decidedly not an alternative. Next we cue the NJ jokes, but I'll not engage since I'm long out of middle school. Now do you want to talk about passive-aggressiveness?
    This is the General Gear Talk, not AT specific. So....

" Not as widespread as Delorme (yet) and mainly in the American West, but i find them preferable to the Gazeteer in most cases when available."

With the original sentence above, it seems I am pretty accurate. truthful and helpful. OTOH, seems like you want to get in a debate for some odd reason with some thinly veiled sarcasm. I'm just merely aggressive ad opposed to making passive remarks..eh?

In any case, the OP was from Texas..and nowhere near the AT corridor as well. Makes my above sentence even more germane for a non-AT specific sub-forum and a good alternative when available....you know, like for people from Texas who posted the info.

Now it this was an AT shuttle or section hiking specific sub-forum, I could see your point. Remember this is GENERAL gear talk.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-14-2016 at 15:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
    I was seriously contemplating picking up a delorme inreach, but this news makes me hesitate. I wonder if product support for the inreach will be continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would suspect that they would for a couple of reasons. First Garmin from has a pretty solid record for supporting older hardware - at least much better than Magellan ever did based on my own personal and professional experience. Second, the inReach is a completely new product type for Garmin (good news for DeLorme employees) that has little competition other than Spot or the "true" personal locater beacons (not getting into the "what is best" argument). It's an expansion of Garmin's product line, not a duplication. The inReaches also represent a guaranteed revenue stream for Garmin. You need a subscription or they are worthless. Think about it. A GPS owner may or may not buy some map sets, but the inReach owner needs to keep renewing year after year.

But I think the real rational for the deal lies in the cartography. This deal is a way for Garmin to get access to DeLorme's full 50 state cartographic and point-of-interest datasets from their Atlases and Gazetteers that cover basically all of the CONUS in terms of area and population. The cartography business has consolidated with Google and Apple doing their own thing primarily for advertising, and TeleAtlas being acquired by TomTom (after an unsuccessful purchase attempt by Garmin), and Garmin licensing NavTeq (now owned by Nokia). This was probably a defensive move on the part of Garmin to get their mapping data in house, avoiding being locked out of the data that makes their devices useful. If Garmin couldn't renew a license with Navteq, they'd have a real problem.

I think its a good thing - Garmin makes great hardware but has none of their own cartography and DeLorme has great maps but very limited notable hardware other than the inReach, so it will be interesting to see what develops from the synergy.

This is the General Gear Talk, not AT specific. So....

" Not as widespread as Delorme (yet) and mainly in the American West, but i find them preferable to the Gazeteer in most cases when available."

With the original sentence above, it seems I am pretty accurate. truthful and helpful. OTOH, seems like you want to get in a debate for some odd reason. As an aside, the OP was from Texas..and nowhere near the AT corridor as well. Makes my above sentence even more germane for a non-AT specific sub-forum and a good alternative when available.

Now it this was an AT shuttle or section hiking specific sub-forum, I could see your point. Remember this is GENERAL gear talk.
    There, there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++