Default Heavy women in thruhike videos

I see heavier women in you tube videos being interviewed and wonder if they complete their thruhike. I have a year more to prepare and even though I can lose my extra pounds, I still wonder.0

While thru hiking is no-doubt physical, it is much more of a mental challenge. I've seen folks of all sizes, age, gender or what have you complete a thru hike. Being mentally ready for the day to day challenges, and being flexible to go with what the trail brings at you is key. I'm sure you'll do just fine! Get out there and hike!!!

Images

Dynamite - check out the Trail Dames, http://www.traildames.com/ You will get a lot of information from them.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Dynamite - check out the Trail Dames, http://www.traildames.com/ You will get a lot of information from them.
    Thanks! Great info on their site.

Since you have a year to prepare, spend as much time as you can hiking and camping now. It will increase your fitness and more important, it will increase your confidence. If you have vacation time this summer or fall, spend a couple of weeks backpacking in the mountains. A lot of people who hike the trail are overweight. Some make it to Katahdin and some don't. The odds increase if you have some experience (so you know what backpacking is really and not just what you hope it's like.) Being fit before you start will make the first few weeks more enjoyable, so you are more likely to want to continue hiking. You have plenty of time to work on getting fit. But the most important element is really wanting to complete the journey, no matter what. It really is 'more head than heel' as Grandma Gatewood said.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hate to butt in here as a guy but while hiking from Springer I seen a woman on the trail. I'm guessing 280 plus. She was kicking ass and was always in the same shelter as me. I give her 10000000000% credit. She's kicking the ATs ass

++ New Posts ++