WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cup of tea, oatmeal with peanut butter and jelly, or granola. BOOM out the door and moving

Two packs of instant breakfast with two packs of instant coffee stirred in-either two packs of oatmeal or a bowl of something sweet-frosted flakes or cocoa puffs. Makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Porkroll egg and cheese on a hard roll w/pepper and ketchup, but it depends on where I am, don't think you can get that down south.
    You can't get that in the south. Can you even get that in MD? Good bagels are hard to find too.

Bagels with cream cheese in the cooler months, oatmeal, poptarts, fried pies, Little Debbies, hash browns, pancakes on occasion, instant shakes. Town breakfast on a resupply is always welcome or after an overnight stay.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quick (1-minute) oats and dried fruit. I'm not sure what'll happen when hiker hunger hits, but probably just more of the same. (I'd prefer not to resort to fat besides some extra nuts and flax or chia. I wonder if there's a consumer lab near the trail where I could get a lipid panel some time in the middle of my thru. My lipids look REALLY good the day after a 25 mile hike but that could be considered cheating...)

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Maltodextrin mix the rest of the morning.
    I have a couple questions about this--how do you make it, and maybe more importantly, how do you resupply it?

I am planning a week trip with my young adult/teenage children. I am planning on plain oatmeal with honey for me. I was planning instant flavored oatmeal for the children, but then I saw Grampie's post with cereal and dry milk. That will be the ticket to happy hikers at breakfast!

I make up a variety of mixes of cereal, nuts, and dried fruit with different flavors and textures, put into ziplock bags. I add Nido powdered whole milk and sugar if needed. About 5 ounces for the whole lot is about what I have an appetite for once I've been on trail for a few days. I mail these to myself in resupply boxes, but you could make something similar to these in town on the fly easily as well. This can make a cold cereal with cold water or a hot cereal with hot water as I'm in the mood for. I often include a bit of jerky just to have a salty taste to go with the sweet. If I don't feel like the jerky at breakfast, I know I'll eat it later in the day.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

two poptarts followed by two more poptarts about 30 minutes later. And then a snickers.

Images

Last few years I've settled on a granola bar or power bar of some kind and a couple cups of coffee. Quick and easy to prepare and you can eat it while breaking camp - unless your going to hang around camp for a while, then you can just relax and enjoy the morning, without fussing about cooking.

Two pop tarts and water every morning for 5 months...except when I was in town at breakfast time. Haven't had a pop tart since.

First 1/4 of the trail - two or three oatmeal packets.
    The rest of the way, I switched to two pop tarts followed by a 9am Gatorade Bar or a Clif Bar. I've only eaten one pop tart in the six months since, but I still get nostalgic thinking about that morning pop tart. It's one of the most accessible food items on the whole trail too.

Images

I started the oatmeal packs but they were just to much sugar now it is simple cold water powdered milk an Cheerios, Raisin Bran an granola added.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    I started the oatmeal packs but they were just to much sugar now it is simple cold water powdered milk an Cheerios, Raisin Bran an granola added.
    I used to like cheerios with Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix and cold water, like eating cereal with chocolate milk.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Cup of granola with powdered milk and Carnation Essentials and maybe a honey bun.
    More walking, less talking.

I have been a fan of the Belvita soft bake oatmeal breakfast bars. They taste good and seem to stick with me longer than pop tarts.

Images

Oatmeal packet mixed with some dry fruit or granola mix and some coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two packets of instant grits and a cup of instant coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    You can't get that in the south. Can you even get that in MD? Good bagels are hard to find too.
    BJs Wholesale Club carries Trenton (Taylor) hams - $20 each

When I can get instant grits I'll do two or three packets, love me some cheddar grits with hot sauce. Otherwise I'll do oatmeal or cold breakfast. That is some combination of pop tarts, peanut butter, granola, trail mix, protein bar, etc. As for beverages I'll usually do instant coffee with a chocolate carnation packet.

Tang, plus protein powder. Can be hot or "room" temperature. There's a variety of breakfast bars out there, many are dreadful. I like the granola+Nido idea, will try it this year.

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    A Poptart? Really? I never understood the concept of Poptarts as a breakfast. Its not really a food as much as processed chemicals made to look like food.

But we like what we like. Im 45 and still a big fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on tortilla. Its one of my favorite foods.
    Pop tarts make me powerful.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++