WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Whats a normal hiking breakfast for you?

For me it would be a couple bags of cheap oatmeal, a banana, a large pot of hot herbal tea, followed by a couple hand fulls of granola mix with chocolate and about as much water as I could top off the tank with. Then...I start off slow like a turtle and just keep slowly speeding up all day.

What do you do for breakfast on the trail after a few months?

instant oatmeal or grits, coffee, (and a banana if I happen to have packed one), then about an hour later I eat whatever snack I happen to have brought with me. I like to eat when I walk.

Poptart to start then snacking all day.

Granola and powdered milk when its warm. Instant oatmeal when its cold

A Poptart? Really? I never understood the concept of Poptarts as a breakfast. Its not really a food as much as processed chemicals made to look like food.

But we like what we like. Im 45 and still a big fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on tortilla. Its one of my favorite foods.

Journal Entries

I usually start of with oatmeal and tea to warm me up, a bar of some sort after I've packed away my camp, and then on with munching almonds as I start my hiking day.

Powdered Milk.....Yum! Cant hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    A Poptart? Really? I never understood the concept of Poptarts as a breakfast. Its not really a food as much as processed chemicals made to look like food.

But we like what we like. Im 45 and still a big fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on tortilla. Its one of my favorite foods.
    With you on all of that. PB & J is great any time on the trail. Poptarts, meh.

Normal??? Please explain.

Sincerely,
    Abby Normal

Normal.... you know... A can of sardines and a few fingers of scotch. Thats when men were men. Could you imagine Lewis and Clark eating pop-tarts and fruit roll ups?

LOL

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Porridge, or granola, or PB and gorp on a tortilla, or if I'm expecting a lazy day, I might even steam bake some muffins. Coffee is a must. Fresh fruit if it's my first morning out of town, otherwise Trader Joe's has a nice selection of freeze-dried. I'm partial to the mandarin orange sections, reconstituted.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Powdered Milk.....Yum! Cant hardly wait!
    Use Nido powdered whole milk.Much better...
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Here's a real breakfast.Steel cut oats sweetened with chopped dates.It takes about 15 minutes to cook and you have to have a real stove and know how to clean a pot.037.JPGAfter some blood tests last summer the Doc said I was "pre diabetic". No more instant oatmeal or pop tarts.I haven't had a soda (Coke & Pepsi) for 6 months now.Get all the sugar out of your system and you'll start feeling better.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries
    Images

First half of the trail. Instant oatmeal ad coffee. Send half of the trail. Dry Cereal with powdered milk and coffee.
    Grampie-N->2001

Normal.... . Could you imagine Lewis and Clark eating pop-tarts and fruit roll ups?
    LOL
    I read a book called "Undaunted Courage" that catalogued what they ate on the voyage, based on the journals of Lewis, Clark, and other members of the Corps of Discovery. I don't remember their breakfast; however, I do remember that they were eating about 10-15 pounds of meat a day!

When I have a stove, I eat 2 packets of oatmeal. When I do not have a stove, I eat a protein bar. I plan on having a snack about 1 -2 hours into my hike. Please, realize that I am a section hiker, so I can't advise on those with "Thru-hiker hunger."

Images

Huge variety.
    poptarts, granola, other cereal, all with Nido, oatmeal etc. for first breakfast.

then it's been cold mocha or my old standby, Maltodextrin mix the rest of the morning.

Journal Entries

Ist is a quick item, cliff bar, cookies, snickers, granola bar, pastry. Something that can be eaten while walking.

Second, midmorning, is granola/nido when it warms up enough to stop.

Or maybe vice versa in warmer weather. Or maybe not. Depends on circumstances. I really like camping a few miles short of town, and hiking into a town midmorning for bacon/eggs/coffee before resupply. Breakfast is my favorite town meal, drinking coffee after doing without it for a week, relaxing is great. On such morning I totally skip trail breakfast not to ruin it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2016 at 22:19.

Souped-up muesli (extra dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar perhaps, Nido) and Tang (heavy, but tasty). That lasts me a couple of hours usually, and then it's time to snack. Small, frequent feedings work well for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool If anyone cares

Wyler's single pack.
    http://growingupgabel.com/wp-content...lers-to-go.jpg
    Instant coffee with hot chocolate mix.
    Two breakfast bars, one with more sugar than the other.

Believe it or not, the coffee is invariably the only heated food I have all day. My appetite for food vanishes while I backpack, and I've never gone out for more than five days. Thus, I'm famished when I finish, but until then I really don't want to eat much.

I used to have instant oatmeal in the morning, but one day I realized I didn't want to eat it.
    Bizarrely, I still love oatmeal at home. I'm still not sure why I don't like it on the trail.

Porkroll egg and cheese on a hard roll w/pepper and ketchup, but it depends on where I am, don't think you can get that down south.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++