WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question how naughty are you on the A.T.? (bear bags, water treatment, etc.)

Hello A.T. hikers!

It certainly seems like a lot of you more experienced A.T. hikers, and perhaps 2,000 milers especially, have made your bargains with the devil. I'm beginning my thru-hike in late April from Springer, and am fascinated by how many don't seem to treat their water at all, and who sleep with food in their tents.

Certainly problems get exaggerated online, and in the media in general, but these topics almost feel taboo to approach practically and realistically, given the chance for highly miserable outcomes!

How many folks actually do seal and hang a bear bag EVERY night on their thru-hike? Is it sorta a judgment call, like water treatment, based on current environmental conditions (water source, known bear activity/sightings)?

Thanks - lookin forward to meeting some of you out there soon!

Robby

i'm naughty. i've never hung a bear bag or treated/filtered water

Im an angel. Always treat my water and hang bear bags.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm crazy. I usually treat my water and use a bear canister.

Images

Default how naughty are you on the A.T.? (bear bags, water treatment, etc.)

I always hung food I treated all water I sleep in a hammock so a lot of people think I'm crazy and I don't mind cause I am

Images

I always bear bag if cables aren't available...and only treat water if I pass through an area with obvious cattle grazing areas, or it is standing water, ponds, etc.

Journal Entries

I hang when I find a proper tree.It isnt that easy.
    A poor hang, will lose your food. Which is bad for you and da bear.

If I'm wilderness camping I sleep with my food, but if I have to stay at an established site I'm happy to take advantage of a bear box or line if one is provided. The bears in the wilderness are afraid of me, but the civilized bears don't care. They just know there is food there every night and come to see if anyone left some out for them. Those are the sort of bears that might rudely reach into my tent not knowing just how dangerous touching my food is
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I'm half naughty half nice. I always treat water, 99% don't hang bear bag. If there are cables I will, other wise, comn get it
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

thanks for the responses, backpackers!
    so --- has anyone had a bad experience sleeping with their food? do you make sure it's in a sealed or purportedly odor-free bag?

Only from mice. Food is in an Ursack because of rodents.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

What the heck do you mean by naughty? We're not children. Naughty implies that we're doig something wrong and that certainly isn't the case.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I always filter my water. I've seen a lot of people never treat it and stay healthy but I just rather not roll the dice for how easy I find filtering to be. I stopped regularly hanging somewhere in VA? and went the rest of the trail without incident except from rodents. I do use the boxes when they are provided. Much prefer boxes to cables and poles as they're more idiot proof and do a better job stopping rodents. I didn't see a single person hang every night on my thru.

Images

Rarely treat water especially on southern AT. Will treat water if cattle are in the area or if it's not a small near source stream or spring. Rarely hang food on the AT, hang food out west when possible, use canister out west and in Adirondacks if required. Often use my food bag as a pillow.

There is nothing naughty about either. I would say it is equally as naughty if not naughtier to handle a trail register after filthy hikers have crapped all over themselves or those who chose to cook up a gourmet meal three feet from where they sleep. Or those that hang those crappy bear hangs that test against the tree trunk. All of those are likely far more dangerous in their respective areas than the two issues you bring up.

I'm a naughty little hiker...Naughty! lol

Usually hang food in Ursack. Have slept with my food also. I feel a little better at night with my food hanging knowing that if something comes into camp it will go for my food bag first, hopefully by then I will be ready to pepper who ever, I mean, what ever it is.

I always treat my water no matter where I am. So simple to do, why not? Have also not treated before when younger and was fine. Then again I drank out of my first North Georgia stream at a very early age...?

After a few nights you will know what to do when you camp. Happy hiking!

Images

Interesting the number that don't hang their bags. On my Georgia section hike last year, I hung when there was a bear cable. Otherwise, I kept the bag in my tent. Those I hiked with were aghast and tried to hang theirs. I did not find that many good hang options on the AT and chuckled when I saw the wad of tangled cord hanging from a limb at Lance Creek Restoration Area. I tried a couple times and said screw it!

I treat all of my water, it's so easy. Regarding the shelter journals, I've heard that's a good way to catch a bug, so I ain't touching them. Nobody cares where I am, anyway, and the feeling's mutual, lol.

Hang food when bear cables are available. I treat water if I can't see the source. Many times when staying in shelters hikers will ask each other if you want to Mouse Bag or Bear Bag.... Most of the time it is Mouse Bag.

I always treat water and only hang bear bags in Grizzly country (I also don't cook in camp and change the clothes I cook in and hang them with my food when I see signs of Grizzly). Otherwise, I sleep with my food.

I treat and hang my water, and sleep with my naughty bits.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I treat and hang my water, and sleep with my naughty bits.
    I sleep with my food, but I make sure to take it on at least three dates first.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++