WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupplying on the Collegiate Loop Trial

So far our quest to obtain a permit for a 2016 JMT hike is resulting in the dreaded daily denial emails from Yosemite. Therefore, our plan B backup is to hike the Collegiate Loop Trail starting in late August or early September. We have the maps and the Databook from the CT Foundation but I'm looking for any feedback regarding suggested resupply and/or mail drop points and what has and hasn't worked for other hikers. We'd be starting in Twin Lakes and going clockwise. I see that Mt. Princeton Hot Springs and Monarch Crest Souvenir Shop are right on the trail. Are these both reliable mail drop locations. Garfield? Other locations? Hitching into other towns? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You might also want to post this to the CT sub-forum on Trailforums.com

This is the best information source for resupply on the CT

http://www.yogisbooks.com/colorado-t...trail-handbook

Quote Originally Posted by wandering_bob View Post
    You might also want to post this to the CT sub-forum on Trailforums.com
    Thanks. That's where I started and it looks like it took on that sub-forum.

Images

FWIW: I'm planning on it this summer (but earlier), my plan is to start at Twin Lakes with 5+ days of food, doing it CCW, resupply from Monarch Pass somehow (hitch to Salida, perhaps, unless that Monach Crest store is still open; I thought it closed?), head north on the east side, resupplying again at Princeton HS. I haven't timed it out quite exactly yet, but something close to this should work in reverse. I just don't see any easy resupply places on the west side, so I'm doing that in one shot.

Was in my plans to hike last summer but had to reschedule for 2017. But my plans were to start on south end and hike clockwise and only resupply at twin lakes. I can't fathom any reason why this isn't easily a one resupply trip...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Was in my plans to hike last summer but had to reschedule for 2017. But my plans were to start on south end and hike clockwise and only resupply at twin lakes. I can't fathom any reason why this isn't easily a one resupply trip...
    Yeah, of course, my-duh, probably better (starting at Monarch). I think I'll go CCW, get the "boring" east side done first, back SOBO along west, the highlight. Those trails back there are gorgeous. Lake Ann. the Apostles, so much cool terrain.

Come to think of it, it makes sense to stay flexible. If you're starting at Monarch and only resupplying one time at Twin Lakes, you can do this.

So if you start at Monarch and the weather forecast for the next few days is excellent, go CW and get through the high, exposed terrain on the west side in better weather. If the forecast is less than great, go CCW, the east side is much less exposed.

Just thinking out loud.

Ya, similar thoughts. I live close enough that I had intended on starting based upon weather forecast. Within a window of time.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

You may only need to resupply once. Both sides are about 80 miles, so you should be able do it all in two five day hikes. Doing the east side first would give you more acclimatization time for the higher side if you think you need it.

The Monarch Crest store was open and accepting packages in August 2014. I was able to hitch a ride from the entrance to the large parking area. However, the ride only took me to Poncha Springs before he had to head north toward Denver. This left me about five miles from Salida. I couldn't get a hitch and took a taxi for around $15 the rest of the way.

I would rate this hitch as moderate difficulty compared to the very easy hitches to Leadville and Silverton, and the very difficult hitch to Lake City. Those hitches aren't relevant for just the Collegiate Loop. If I were doing the loop, I would probably start at Twin Lakes, send a box to Monarch Crest store, and perhaps resupply at Princeton Hot Springs as well (or at least eat there).

++ New Posts ++