WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default JetBoil MiniMo for <$67 (02/26/16)

SOLD OUT!

Campsaver has the "RealTree" MiniMo on sale for $77.97.
    On top of that, they are advertising an Extra 15% off with coupon code WNTRCLR16.

With free shipping on orders >$50, I just ordered mine for a grand total of $66.27 shipped.

Oh, forgot to add that the "free gift" that comes with the MiniMo from Campsaver is the Jetboil Jetset Utensil Kit.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-27-2016 at 21:53. Reason: Link-a-fy MiniMo

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What I'm really not understanding here is why a $10 cozy is making almost a 100% difference in the price.

As noted above, I just ordered the "RealTree" for $66.27.
    But if you go to REI and pick one of the new Cozy designs for 2016, the price is $134.95.
    Just to add to the ridiculous notion of a cozy making a huge difference in the price, REI has been (and still is) selling the RealTree at a premium of $139.95 (more than twice the price I just paid).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-26-2016 at 17:05.

Nice! Of course I JUST ordered my minimo from REI yesterday (but the $77 one, not a $134 one!) plus a couple of other little things, since they have the "spend $100, get a $20 gift card in return" going on. Oh well...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    What I'm really not understanding here is why a $10 cozy is making almost a 100% difference in the price.

As noted above, I just ordered the "RealTree" for $66.27.
    But if you go to REI and pick one of the new Cozy designs for 2016, the price is $134.95.
    Just to add to the ridiculous notion of a cozy making a huge difference in the price, REI has been (and still is) selling the RealTree at a premium of $139.95 (more than twice the price I just paid).
    Welcome to the wacky world of retail merchandising. If the stock doesn't move it's eating up capital which the retailer wants to use for stock that moves off the shelf at the predicted rate. If the MiniMo camo was predicted to sell better than expected at REI or wherever, they'll dump the stock at or below cost to get the inventory turn rate that their managers want. Managers bonus is based on profitability above a target level set by headquarters. I'm surprised REI bothered to order any camo at all, it's just not a hunting oriented consumer that uses REI.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Often specials of that type come from the manufacturers , to simply clear their inventory to make space for the new one.
    Problem is that when it happens the shop that still have the old stock and paid the old wholesale price look like (to the average shopper) that they are ripping the customer off.
    Sometime shops do get price protection (a rebate for stock on hand)but that is a dangerous (expensive) thing to do particularly for stock without serial numbers.
    (because shop keepers could be tempted to claim for more than the stock they still have)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I should have waited.
    REI has an extra 25% off clearance and you can get a MiniMo for about $60

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I should have waited.
    REI has an extra 25% off clearance and you can get a MiniMo for about $60
    Yes saw that a few days ago in a NJ REI store. Wonder what this means for Jetboil's new direction they chose with this new design.

Journal Entries

Man, too late again.

I had a Mini Mo and returned it. I thought it was cheaply made.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Of course, they're as cheaply made as possible while maintaining reasonable durability and performance, as is just about every consumer item on the planet. Manufacturers don't design things to last forever. There are notable exceptions such as Svea 123R.

I used to feel the same way about JB products, but having used a MiniMo fairly extensively I must admit it's a decent piece of kit. Naturally, the piezo lighter quit working fairly quickly... such is the nature of piezo lighters in general, however.

++ New Posts ++