WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a shakedown!

https://lighterpack.com/r/5z0qt3

Doing a thru-hike of the AT about a year from now. I have my gear planned out so I can acquire the pieces over the next year.

I'm planning on sleeping in a hammock the whole way (minus some nights in the shelters where required).

Are there any ways I can cut weight? I think everything I have here is pretty essential, but I am by no means an expert.

Thanks,
    Garrett

do you already own the longer Warbonnet hammock? If not, have you tried the blackbird on for size? In addition, review hammockforums for suspension options that can trim your hammock system weight. See Dutchware.com and other small businesses that specialize in this sort of thing.

I see you are taking a pad and an UQ, and plan to send the UQ home for the warmer months. Try using the pad only in warmer conditions, you may find a need for pad extenders going pad only.

You have a towel at 6 oz; seems heavy. Trim to smaller size?

Will you need an Ursack? You must have a reason for including it. Just double checking.

this looks like a very good light plan, IMHO.

Multi tool is heavy. Do you really need it?

What are you carrying water in, osprey reservoir? Three smart water bottles would be much lighter and fit a Sawyer Squeeze for backup filtering bag.

Pad and UQ? I would stick with UQ other than areas where you will not be able to hang.

I have an Osprey Exos 58 pack and a HMG Windrider 3400. The Windrider weighs about 20 oz with no need for a pack cover. That is about half the weight of your pack.

You show 2 items as 0 weight. My similar items weigh about 7 oz and 3 oz.

In your kitchen, you have a cup and bowl listed separately. The MiniMo is a complete cook system and comes with a "mixing bowl/cup". I suggest ditching those two and get by with what comes with the MiniMo. Also in your kitchen, you don't have a utensil listed.

I have the same hammock and have been looking at some lighter weight suspensions, and you can probably shave a couple of ounces there if you shop around.

I agree with Nodust on the multi-tool choice. There are quite a few options closer to the 1 ounce range.

Those are just a few quick thoughts on how I think you can cut weight.

Default Windrider BP

I have an Osprey Exos 58 pack and a HMG Windrider 3400. The Windrider weighs about 20 oz with no need for a pack cover
    From HMG - The weight is listed as 32-33.5 ounces per their website. Is there a way to remove 12+ ounces?

4l of water bags is 15 oz. 2, 1 liter gatorade bottles is 4 oz, plus a sawyer squeeze and 2liter bag saywyer squeeze bag is 9oz.

other than the multi-tool, weight savings can be had on your water system (sawyer squeeze is 3.5 oz) or on ditching the ursack for a 15l or 20l lighter sack.
    also, the compression sack probably wouldn't be so necessary. you could save a few oz on a lighter sack and just stuff the quilt in the bag. You won't have space issues in that bag with your gear

Someone mentioned that you plan to take an underquilt but I don't see it listed - I could have missed it. Below 70F, you will need something underneath you in the hammock or you'll get cold. And, even in the heat of summer, at altitude, it will dip below 70 on many evenings the whole way to Katahdin. The xlite is an awesome pad on the ground or in a shelter, however, in a hammock, it sucks. Since the baffles go sideways it has a hard time conforming to the shape and doesn't work very well. The best pad I've used in a hammock is the Klymit insulated Static V. There's a lite version of this pad that's 19 oz. That would be a good dual purpose pad in the hammock and on the ground. I can vouch that it's very comfortable in the hammock. Or... get an underquilt.

Also, I don't know if you've purchased the tarp yet, but you should get one with doors. Both Zpacks and HammockGear make cuben ones. It really blows on mountaintops and through those gaps so closing those doors really help keeping the wind and weather out.

Great set up! One glaring issue: your pack. It weights 2.5 pounds. If your base weight is 16 pounds you definitely don't need a 2.5 pound pack to carry that little weight
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

+1 on the Gatorade bottles. Switching out that multi-tool for a more compact one (think a Leatherman Squirt or Gerber Clutch) would also be recommended. Other than the lighter pack, the biggest thing I think you could save weight on would be that Jetboil. A compact stove like a Pocket Rocket (or a cheaper Chinese knockoff, which I have) with a titanium pot (Snow Peak 750 is highly recommended) would save you about 5-7ozs.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

I am also planning a thru for 2018 with a WBBB 1.1 DL as my shelter, with an HG Winter Palace for the tarp. Here are my thoughts as I work through your gear list:
    1. I plan on pad14oz (shelters, tarping for ground and in conjunction w/UQ) and under-quilt for hammock comfort and insulation for March start. Mine is the WB 20* Yeti 3\4 at 12.5oz.
    2. After a few uses in the hammock, my S2S Aeros developed a slow leak. I haven't given up on it but I also am testing the HG Down pillow at 3oz.
    3. Same ZPacks tent sac, clothing is personal, except as someone mentioned - different towel, mine is REI Packtowel .6oz.
    4. Not sure of the need for SOL Emergency Bivy. I considered this for the PCT but never the AT.
    5. As others mentioned, Evernew, Sawyer Squeeze, and Smart Water Bottles is a lightweight, great system. I have stuck with the squeeze over the mini and never had any issues.
    6. If you have purchased the pack and are sold on Osprey, drop down to the Exos 48. I went to 28oz and love the ULA Ohm 2.0. Previous External Frame believer.
    7. Luci Luc Light is a true luxury item and not needed except car or very low mileage to camp hiking. imho
    8. Also have looked at the Ursack but it is either for Bears or rodents. Because of e need for both on the AT, I went with the ZPacks Bear Bagging Kit. Love it and use it in non bear areas as well.
    9. I Use a Snow Peak Hybrid Summit Pot for cooking. I like coffee in a different cup so I use the S2S XMug 2.4oz. You may want to think about dropping one of your cups/bowl.
    10. Stove is a personal choice. I have avoided the Jetboil myself. I have not decided between the micro rocket and caldera cone system. I have both but use the rocket the most on my current trips.
    11. Other thoughts. Head covering, I use both a BlackRock Down Cap and aMtn Hardware Microdome and use them as sleepware as needed. I also suggest a Buff - what a versatile inexpensive piece of equiptment. Add one more pair of large oversized wool socks for sleeping in the hammock. Keeps the head and feet warm and the core will maintain a pleasant body temperature. Finally don't forget Optimus titanium spoon, possible cooking bag/cup insulation and a toothbrush for dental care.

Hope this helps, I love looking at other Gear List, especially another Hammocker!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++