WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nogray View Post
    I have read a lot of posts where people scoff at hikers in jeans. I've been a longtime camper and hiker and I've always worn jeans. I am most comfortable in them. I realize they can be problematic when you mix wet and cold, but I've always been able to live with that (although I have limited experience camping at altitude, so maybe that comes into play). With most hiker pants, I feel like I'm wearing parachute pants. It's a vain thing, but I feel completely ridiculous wearing them.

So, am I missing something? Why are jeans so vilified?

::nogray
    It's got nothing to do with looks or comfort, which jeans excel at. It's all about thermal properties and moisture retention. In that regard, they can be dangerous and uncomfortable in certain conditions. At the end of the day, screw the naysayers and HYOH. If you like jeans rock 'em. I'll never call anyone out for what they are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Why did you have a pig in camp with you?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Why did you have a pig in camp with you?
    Ha ha but no it's my old black backpacking dog, the Mighty Shunka.

I'd wear them for packing in fact I have. That said they downright suck and suck bad soon as they get wet. Sure might keep ya cool when you're moving if they get a bit wet soon as you stop you're semi screwed. Got my first mild case of hypothermia in mid August I'll add jeans for day hikes or maybe a couple day out and back in good weather sure. That said I kind of hate the way synthetic stuff feels. Heck I ride a bicycle with jeans I bet I get the same kind of looks.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I hiked the LT in blue jeans, cotton shirts and *gasp* cotton socks and survived just fine. I wear nylon now just because it dries so much faster.

The older I get the less I care about fashion. I'm getting to where I don't wear jeans unless I'm going out to eat or something. They're tight and it's hard to get your cell phone out of the pocket. They're just really not all that comfortable when you think about it.

By simply asking the question, the OP reveals that he hasn't tried any long distance hiking in jeans, or he would have already made up his own mind about it.

My suggestion to anyone planning an AT hike, is to test your gear on a multi-day hike on a local trail before you commit to living with your choices for months on the AT.

I don't like anything synthetic against my skin. A wool baselayer addresses that, though. I like the Prana Zion pants for non-winter conditions.

I feel like I am on a never-ending quest to find the "perfect" hike pants. I like the cargo pockets of BDU/ACU's, but they are too heavy and hot for a long hike. Finding a pair of lightweight nylon pants with good pockets and tough enough to not be shredded by my endless butt-sliding seems is like finding a unicorn.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Railriders Weatherpants, double thick on the butt and knees, loads of pockets, and dry fast. I have been wearing them for the last 5 years.

Railriders DO make really good pants. A little spendy, but great quality. I'll have to re-visit and take a closer look at the Weatherpant. Thanks for the tip!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Now lets talk about Flannel shirts, they also suck, get damp and take forever to dry. But wear whatever ya like.
    Not if they're wool or synthetic. I never hike without my cheap synthetic flannel shirt. Most versatile piece of clothing I own, just about. If you want to get fancy, get a Pendleton or Woolrich wool shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Not if they're wool or synthetic. I never hike without my cheap synthetic flannel shirt. Most versatile piece of clothing I own, just about. If you want to get fancy, get a Pendleton or Woolrich wool shirt.
    okay, I should have said cotton flannel...woolrich shirts are da bomb! But heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    okay, I should have said cotton flannel...woolrich shirts are da bomb! But heavy.
    Yep, gotta be careful. almost all flannel shirts you find at the mall are 100% cotton.

Not the lightest piece of gear around, but well worth the weight. Can be worn while hiking or at camp.

I wore jeans the first two days of my attempted thru. Sent them home from Suches on day 3.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    But if you really want to stay warm, go with rabbit fur. The Paiute Indians stayed warm using rabbit hide blankets and/or jackets---

http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

A single rabbit hide won't do much but the Indians rolled up many hides to form tubes and placed them parallel for warmth.

During my Tipi days I acquired 3 large rabbit furs and sewed together a very warm hat as shown below. Fur side always goes against the skin. And rabbit hides are very light.
    He killed the noble Mudjokivis,
    Ot the skin he made him mittens,
    Made them with the fur side inside,
    Made them with the skin side outside.
    He, to get the warm side inside,
    Put the inside, skin side, outside;
    He, to get the cold side outside,
    Put the warm side, fur side inside.
    That's why he put the fir side inside,
    Why he put the skin side outside,
    Why he turned them inside outside.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    He killed the noble Mudjokivis,
    Ot the skin he made him mittens,
    Made them with the fur side inside,
    Made them with the skin side outside.
    He, to get the warm side inside,
    Put the inside, skin side, outside;
    He, to get the cold side outside,
    Put the warm side, fur side inside.
    That's why he put the fir side inside,
    Why he put the skin side outside,
    Why he turned them inside outside.
    I knew I should've read more Longfellow. He could've hiked up to my lodge and helped me sew together my rabbit hat.

In the spring and fall, I find it nice to have a pair of convertible/zip-off pants. I've got both the REI Sahara and Craghoppers. I prefer the Craghoppers' stretchy fabric and fit, but the REI are fine pants as well. I've been on the AT when you have to wear thermals under convertibles at dawn, then zip off after a few hours, then eventually shed the thermals after lunch and zip-on the legs before dinner. Convertibles pants rock. YMMV. The Craghoppers are very durable, for a stretchy fabric...

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    But then you can light the jeans on fire to warm up. Try doing that with some flimsy nylon pants
    That is so true. A few months ago, we came across a grass fire while out walking and spent quite a while stomping it with our boots. Their were other areas alight, so we decided to call the fire department but the road was on the other side of a burning embankment. To save time, my boyfriend and I just ran through the almost knee high flames and despite the fire and embers, our jeans were hardly marked (just a few frays burnt). I am amazed that so many people prefer synthetic materials for outdoor activities, they are so dangerous in any type of fire and if they catch alight almost impossible to slap out with your hands without getting serious burns from the melting fabric.

To darn heavy...and wore em for years. Love the hand & lay of light weight quick dry nylon pants and shorts, pretty much all I wear these days.

But when you're hiking and they get wet they take forever to dry, and they're just too hot much of the time. I wear shorts whenever possible, most always when it's warmer than about 60°F or so.

Registered Offender

Of course moisture is seldom an issue, but here in Utah's Canyon Country, jeans are actually preferred to most other types of leg-wear, although it depends on the route. Many desert plants wreak havoc on skin or thin fabrics, but the main issue occurs when canyoneering, where the need to "shimmy" up or down a narrow slot canyon often presents itself, sometimes just for five or so vertical feet, other times for close to a hundred feet. Sporting slippery clothing (such as many synthetic fabrics) is a recipe for disaster, whereas jeans or more abrasive fabric is ideal.

I frequently wear loose-fit double-paneled Carhartt's (sometimes with non-plastic knee-pads over them on the real tricky stuff) when climbing or descending an especially scary canyon. Leather gloves, leather elbow patches and nerve are all also required. Of course, canyoneering isn't quite "normal hiking," but, as mentioned, there are other reasons to wear jeans here. And truth be told, unless you stick to the standard pedestrian routes (yawn), you're going to cross a slot canyon at some point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++