Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Post Citrus Tract Map inconsistencies

Hey all, was planning a walkabout in the Citrus tract in a few weeks to coincide with my spring break. I noticed that the FTA trail map for Citrus was recently updated for 2016. I have a copy from 2014 (which I have also attached) which shows a small 4.7 mile segment heading southeast from Stage Pond. Unlike the rest of the trails, this trail is shown in gray. Anyone have any info on this section? Is it still accessible?

I've previously hiked the northern loops at Citrus so this part of the trail is still new to me.

(2016 on R; 2014 on L)
    citrusmap2016.pdfcitrusmap2014.jpg
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Hello Old_Man.
    Im not sure I know what you are talking about south east of sage pond.
    This is my back yard tract and I just hiked the d loop last week,
    Are you referring to the county dividers ??? that is all I see gray on the map,also the other is a Forrest road.
    To my knowledge all the blazes are yellow orange and blue for the citrus tract.

Images

Okay I went into MS Paint and added a red arrow pointing to the section I am talking about. I wouldn't pay it any mind except for the fact that trail mileage is listed.

citrusmap2014.jpg
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Okay I went into MS Paint and added a red arrow pointing to the section I am talking about. I wouldn't pay it any mind except for the fact that trail mileage is listed.
    That is weird upon further looking I believe it is A typo in color and im not positive but think that is where you continue on the florida trail and should be an orange blaze.
    In bioth the maps I have they dont even mention a gray blaze at all,and honestly I didnt see one last week and did that loop, I think the small approach trail just west of you arrow should also be a blue blaze to an orange blaze. let me look at my ft section for here and ill confirm that is the FT trail continuing south.

Journal Entries
    Images

After looking at that section of the FT map that is exactly what it is ,it is the FT, im not sure why it is gray unless its not considered part of the citrus tract and they do not color it,but it is the FT and should be an orange blaze/

Images

Ahhhh okay it's all making sense now. What's weird is that it's shown on the 2014 map but not the 2016 one. I'll have to do some investigating when I'm out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ahhhh okay it's all making sense now. What's weird is that it's shown on the 2014 map but not the 2016 one. I'll have to do some investigating when I'm out there.
    Awesome have fun,let me know when your out there and I can possibly join ya for a day or so,im doing a complete loop next week,doing fifteen miles a day for three days ...

Journal Entries

Billy, get all those map issues settled before we hit the trail. I'm impressed. When you said you knew the Citrus Tract I believed you but you got it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Journal Entries
    Images

Billy, get all those map issues settled before we hit the trail. I'm impressed. When you said you knew the Citrus Tract I believed you but you got it down.
    No worries Bobby,the trail is well marked from what I have seen.

I've been out there about 6 times and yes, the trails are well marked. Usually you can see at least one blaze from wherever you are - Sometimes as many as 4 or 5. They REALLY don't want people getting lost.
    If you do decide to take a shortcut, Google maps works out there (Verizon).

I had printed out both of these maps for my last hike. I carried the older one and gave my hiking partner the newer one. One of the inconsistencies between the two maps is the horse trails; On the newer map they are more accurate. Just look at all the extra blue dotted lines down in D loop south of Tillis Hill! I visually confirmed this on the hike back from Taylor last weekend. Head east from Taylor, after going around Stagecoach Pond and across 480, about a mile and a half north - after crossing trail 11, you cross two horse trails before getting to Trail 20. On the old map, it only shows one horse trail after trail 20.

...It makes sense. If the new map is Geo-referenced to work with your smart phone GPS, it ought to be accurate.

I do have one question for you guys: Throughout the area there are trees with white stripes around them, having a round metal dog tag nailed to the tree with a number stamped on it. Some right on the trail, some not. What is the purpose of these trees?

I don't know but will guess the trees have been surveyed as part of an invasive species eradication that took place about 10 years past. (We had property in Floral City, for awhile we were going to retire there).
    Surprised that you didn't get "faced" by some horseback rider(s). We were at Tillis one weekend with my wife's mare and saw it happen to some non riders. No one we knew on either side. Ugly thing. Not my favorite kind of people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries
    Images

Surprised that you didn't get "faced" by some horseback rider(s). We were at Tillis one weekend with my wife's mare and saw it happen to some non riders. No one we knew on either side. Ugly thing. Not my favorite kind of people.
    Hey chuck im am not sure what that means.
    Can you please explain to me.
    It seems to me like both those places(holder mine) and tillis hill can be party places on the weekends.
    I myself have never had any trouble out there but have been nervous a few times being solo at one of the primitive camps when younger crowd comes in on four wheelers or 4 by 4 s rooting around and out there partying.
    Dont get me wrong I am pretty easy to get along with and really laid back but throw a group of youngans together drinking and a few females in the mix and theres bound to be some trouble somewhere lol.
    Still love the loop and if your ever in the area give me a shout,it is right down the road from me.

Not to worry. Just babbling 'bout what we saw that one time. Probably not happen to you and we had no idea what happened before or after.
    I've done the loop Holder mine to the cave/sinkhole and back as a day hike. That horse tank was a lifesaver. Citrus Tract about as dry as i can think of, that was "back in the day" and I knew nothing about Tills Hill then.
    More reminiscing than good info probably.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries
    Images

Citrus Tract about as dry as i can think of, that was "back in the day" and I knew nothing about Tills Hill then.
    More reminiscing than good info probably
    It is A very dry tract,in fact I have been leaving numerous amounts of trail magic water out there for uniformed hikers doing the tract with there one liter of water...
    And when I hiked the whole loop last month there was three different hikers who all thought there was water.
    I know some FT members have been marking the way to the hand pump at jackson camp but it isnt easy to find.
    And alot of folks think you can salvage water from sage pond(would never recommend it).
    But I have been leaving gallons at places where the trail crosses fr 13 and where it crosses over hwy 480. mostly on the weekends in plain view then picking up the empty gallons on my mid week hike there.
    It is a really nice section at times and alot of pine barrens at others.
    My favorite is from youngblood camp to taylor camp following the western side of D loop .

have you ever been to the start of the intermittent stream in that section? Is it a pond or spring? Have you seen water in it

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj1567 View Post
    have you ever been to the start of the intermittent stream in that section? Is it a pond or spring? Have you seen water in it
    The intermittent stream in the south end of D loop? It's always had water in it whenever I've been there. It's got a white-ish tint to it, probably from the limestone it comes out of. A couple hikers I camped with one time did get water from it, though it's easy enough to cache some water at the parking area that's only a 6 minute walk from the campsite.

From Mutual Mine, continue south on 581, turn right on 480/ Stagecoach road. Just after you pass the road to Tillis Hill Recreation Area, turn left onto Trail 13. About a half mile down that dirt road, you'll see the parking area on your left. The hiking trail passes right through that parking area. Hide your water behind some trees just down the trail, and it's only a short walk to retrieve it after setting up camp (put it in your now empty pack) - or carry it on your way in.

or carry it on your way in.

...if you are coming from that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    It is a really nice section at times and a lot of pine barrens at others.
    You ain't Florida Native born, is ya?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have seen water in it yes.
    but as stated just as easy to cache some water at parking area.

ou ain't Florida Native born, is ya?
    Yes am born in collier county (naples)
    Moved to citrus county at age 7, been here ever since except for college in Minnesota and lived there for about ten years after school,but always came back to family here twice a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++