WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Coffee

Default Coffee

Well I will not do without my 6 -7 cups a day. I suppose I would categorize this under luxury.

Any and all suggestions for a UL thermos would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

I drink a lot of coffee but generally only 1-2 cups on the trail each morning.

I also drink a lot of coffee, but on the trail make it a super-stout 16 oz one in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

Nissin vacuum bottles work very well, but vacuum bottles in general are so heavy that I don't carry one.

Have you looked for a $tarbuck$ cup?
    I was shown one, aluminium?, where the weight was ~reasonable~ and it kept the drink warm for a good while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Learn to drink it cold?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

My coffee setup is a Melitta filter cone and a Nalgene bottle. Around the bottle I have a snug-fitting jacket made of Reflectix pipe insulation and aluminum flue tape. It keeps coffee warm for a fair while. The Nalgene, of course, has all the other functions of a Nalgene bottle when it isn't carrying coffee. Sometimes I'll even use the coffee filter to remove floaties from water before treating with Aqua Mira.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I just got back from a 4 day island trip off the coast of Charleston. We brought cold pressed coffee and it was very good. just put grounds in a bottle, with cold water and let sit overnight. strain the next morning.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

I have used and still use and plan on using a dixie cup you can find in packs at wal mart and about every grocery store everywhere,they are insulated but not styrofoam,they are bendable and crushable and still seem to hold up pretty well,hell you can pack yourself three of them stuck together just in case and still be virtually weightless..
    These cups have worked out great for me myself. something to consider.

Journal Entries
    Images

I also use an unbleached panty hose foot(new of course) stretched over my cup and held with rubber band,great thing that again doesnt ever register on the scale,and no grounds go through,bring two in case one rips etc.
    Total cost 1.00 for new pantyhose undied natural preferably,and 3.00 for 16 cups.
    less than a quarter ounce total,and endless hassle free coffee on the long trail.

There is supposedly a guy thru hiking right now called "The Coffee Man" who has a huge bag of coffee beans, grinder, the works. He makes coffee for those he's hiking with.

Journal Entries
    Images

There is supposedly a guy thru hiking right now called "The Coffee Man" who has a huge bag of coffee beans, grinder, the works. He makes coffee for those he's hiking with.
    I hope I run into him next year lol....

Hey folks new guy here. I just picked up a GSI Infinity. 3.5 oz for a 17oz insulated mug solely for coffee. Like many of you i put coffee in the survival category so its well worth it to me. And it nests nicely with my cookset. Alc stove inside the mug inside the windscreen inside a SP 830ml and the lid just barely closes :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey folks new guy here. I just picked up a GSI Infinity. 3.5 oz for a 17oz insulated mug solely for coffee. Like many of you i put coffee in the survival category so its well worth it to me. And it nests nicely with my cookset. Alc stove inside the mug inside the windscreen inside a SP 830ml and the lid just barely closes :-)
    Hey there.
    I was thinking the gsi for an insulated mug and opted on my dixie cup instead.
    What do you use to brew your coffee,i seen gsi has a mesh with legs to attach for like 12.00 but myself found a piece of panty hose foots with a rubber band works equally as well and less than 1.00.

Images

Starbucks Iced Via is my favorite afternoon pick-me-up on the trail, and in the summer I go stoveless so I drink that in the morning, too. It's tasty.

You'd need an all-metal vacuum bottle (Thermos) to keep anything hot for an appreciable amount of time. My Contigo mug that I use every day isn't all that heavy, I guess, and it'll keep coffee hot for hours. It should be obvious that you want to avoid glass vacuum bottles, right?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Hey there.
    I was thinking the gsi for an insulated mug and opted on my dixie cup instead.
    What do you use to brew your coffee,i seen gsi has a mesh with legs to attach for like 12.00 but myself found a piece of panty hose foots with a rubber band works equally as well and less than 1.00.
    I just make instant coffee. Starbucks Via are the closest thing to real coffee ive found and are good enough for me. Though i have seen some interesting press kits that my be nice for more casual trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

One time I forgot to bring to my drink pack which included two servings of coffee over two days. After realizing my mistake, I cursed myself to sleep. The first morning I tried pine needle tea and second morning I melted a mint lozenge into boiling water. That trip rained night and the whole time next day. I still remember that night forgetting to pack my coffee more so than the full day hiking in cold rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    . . . That trip rained night and the whole time next day. I still remember that night forgetting to pack my coffee more so than the full day hiking in cold rain. . .
    If you had remembered your coffee, the weather would have be sunny!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Learn to drink it cold?
    it's really not that bad cold!!

I use Folgers singles, 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon. I just drink out of a jetboil cup.

++ New Posts ++