WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    a less radical suggestion than brianb2's that has worked well for this long term user of frogg toggs: buy the largest size and cut the arms and legs to custom fit. You get more air ventilation... you get more room to layer clothing below (i've been known to wrap a sleeping bag under the jacket, and stuff an underquilt into the pants...)... pretty sweet fit, really. and at 5'-6" I am a pretty small guy.

I get a couple of years of hiking out of each set I purchase and am quite happy with their performance/value/weight...
    I've seen 1azarus with his top quilt inside the jacket and his underquilt inside the pants. It's quite the fashion statement, let me tell you.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by ogtheking View Post
    I've tried the full rainsuits, Frog Toggs and ul ponchos (both FT and generic). I wet out the inside of a rainsuit fast and my experience with the other gear is it gets caught on briars or anything else and tears up.
    My wife and I switched to rain kilts with umbrellas last year. We love it, we might get a little wet but it's nothing like being soaked inside rain gear. We did a 1 night 2 day trip last year and it rained 100% of the trip. We were both dry all day both days. One of the big pluses is we could take a break or eat lunch in the dry. It's no perfect but it's worth trying if you haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QUESTION:
    What type of hiking kilts are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It IS the Alpha SV I think. Arcteryx gets confusing with its greek alphabet names. And mine is several years old so who knows what they are making currently.
    I've got the Arc'Teryx Beta LT and it's been great.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurryjr007 View Post
    QUESTION:
    What type of hiking kilts are you using?
    It's from ZPacks, around 2 oz. Can also use it as a ground cloth.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Cut the pants off just above the knee. Rip the crotch seam. Put them on, turn 90 degrees and you've got a decent rain kilt.
    This actually inst a bad idea at all...
    Might have to try this.

Going ultralight and ultracheap this season here in the whites. Just ordered a set of frogg toggs ultralight II in small size. Gonna do a long term review after the seasons over. Well see if it holds up. I actually am optimistic about this rain coat. If i was going somewhere more remote, I'd opt for a different jacket.

I have a couple pair and think they are worth owning and using for trail hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    This actually inst a bad idea at all...
    Might have to try this.
    Did it, works well. Comes with me when I'm expecting a lot of rain. Don't care for rain pants but wanted the jacket. I've got nicer jackets now, but I keep this one in the jeep. It never failed me in the trail and the weight is great.

That Marmot Precip that you wore out is like German tank in terms of durability compared to the Frogg. I'd get another Precip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++