WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which hammock?

Default Which hammock?

Which hammock?
    I am fairly new and would like opinions or suggestions.

BIG can you've opened here. :-)

I've used a Hennessey - didn't care for the bottom entry, although I liked the concept.
    I've had an ENO - great hammock, didn't like the suspension system. Easy to swap out with another system - Dutchgear.com :-)
    I love my BlackBird by warbonnetoutdoors. My go to, all time favorite. I prefer the whoopie sling suspension, with Dutch buckle and clips.

short and simple, I hope. Have fun

Hi there pickle,
    hubcap isn't exaggerating. HUGE can,

Understand that, like many things, hammocks are very subjective.

I am a hammock user, and have been for about a decade now. I am not an expert, internet or otherwise...

The website hubcap mentions is actually dutchwaregear.com. Fantastic reputation, real quality stuff, possibly the most "hammock stuff" in one place on the net, and very reasonably priced.

I'd recommend checking out hammockforums.net. Tons, and tons of info there

I'd further say, if you can locate a "group hang", done quite a lot via hammock forums, to go to one. I say that because it is likely the best place for you to go and get "hands on" experience with a number of different hammocks, hammock set-ups, hammock related gear, etc...
    If you check out the HF website, you'll find that info under "outings", and then "hangouts, campouts, and trip planning" Kentucky is under the "southeast" sub-forum.

You may even be able to find someone on HF who lives near you, who may have some hammocks you can check out in person - before you spend your money.

Do be wary of any sales person you run into in any store(s)... one that rhymes with stary-eye being one of many possibilities here. Understand that they are there to sell you the product.
    They may, or may not, know much of anything about the product, let alone the subject. And what they have may, or may not, be good for you, if even any good at all.

u.w.

Yup! Which hammock is like asking which car model. Most recommendations will be what that person decided upon. Often after much research, but rarely after actually trying more than a scant few. What is typical is the current fanboy base will chime in and recommend their choice which only amplifies the fanboy chorus. In the end a hammock is a sheet of fabric suspended between two trees. No more, no less. All other features are optional. Like cars, some of these features are more desireable to different people. That was the long non-answer. The short answer is any hammock.

Hammockforums.net

I think most would agree getting a hammock from Dutch is great way to get into hammocking. He runs a great business.

Best part about getting a setup from Dutch.. You can get your tarp and suspension and then just swap hammocks onto your suspension if you want to try a few. Fairly inexpensive as well

Dont spend a dime till you educate yourself on hammocking. Hammockin's easy and life is good when your hanging, but there is much to learn.

Anything the big box store outfitters sell is inferior to cottage industry made hammock products. Not saying Eno, Hennessy, and Grand Trunk aren't nice, but the cottage guys know how to put together a slick overall system. Especially for thru hikers.

Hammock companies I've personally dealt with and recommend:
    Dutchware
    Hammock Gear
    Simply Light Designs
    Wilderness Logics

The vendors that are active on Hammockforums are active in the forum, will answer questions via email and will even take phone calls-personally. How often do you get to speak to the designer or manufacturer of the product/system you are considering? Dream Hammocks, the Meck family at Hammeck Gear, Dutch, Wilderness Logics, and others have great reputations because of their enthusiasm for helping new hangers get the right set up, not the most expensive one.

charlotte

I started with an eno. Got a Warbonnet Blackbird...love it! Have used and purchased a Yukon from woot $24, liked it. I did see a hammock at my Sams Club this weekend. Looked similar to an eno, had suspension straps with it for $24. Start off inexpensive and make sure you like it. Because, then comes the tarp...then the underquilt....top quilt...better suspension...

Hammockforums is a great resource within which to lurk and ask. Agree with others that you can get the most innovative gear from cottage makers. Dutch is a great purveyor of innovative hardware. I like my hammock from BIAS (Butt In A Sling), my tarp from Zpacks, and various bits from Dutch.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

AT 2012

I suggest you apply the same approach to hammocking gear that you apply to the rest of your hiking gear. There is a full range of perfectly comfortable setups at all weight points. Just be consistent and you will be happy. Like bells and whistles on your pack? ...or is your pack frameless? Same deal with hammocks. Good hiking to you!
    Lazarus

I would recommend: If you know anyone who has one, ask them to show you how it works and see if they can answer a bunch of questions. If not, poke around hammockforums.net. There may be someone near you that can educate you on them. If you do dive in, many hammocks are similar in how they allow you to sleep nearly flat. But to get a really good contrast in styles, you might want to try some hammocks that have you sleeping on the "diagonal" versus a bridge hammock style (Warbonnet makes a very popular bridge and so does Jacks R Better). Everyone's different but most people find a bridge hammock to create the flattest bed for you. After you decide on a style, then you can worry about ease of set up and all the do-dads that go along with actually setting these things up. There is a learning curve.

Michael

FWIW,I have a Dutch 10 foot argon hammock set up with a JRB winter nest and 2QUQ quilt protector for winter use.For summer use,a WBBB1.1 DL with a HG Phoenix quilt.

Once you fight pads for a while you might decide that life is short and go to feathers once you get over the sticker shock.Ditto for the Cuben Tarps.

Good information here. A lot to learn, indeed.

I can see why most beginners would just say "to heck with all this" and head straight for the tent.

For me, personally, I've never been able to get comfortable in a hammock. I feel like I'm sleeping inside a burrito; then there's the discomfort in the lower back from being bent like a piece of elbow macaroini. No, I just never could get the hang of it (no pun intended). However, I'll be the first to admit that hammocking is very alluring and people who love it, LOVE IT!

OkeefenokeeJoe

I've used a Hennessey Asym Backpacker hammock since 2006, and I love it. I've never found the bottom entry inconvenient, and once you learn to hang it right (with the head end slightly lower than the foot), it's very comfortable, and you can sleep practically level if you lie a bit on the diagonal and sleep on your back or side. It's definitely not for stomach sleepers.

I have resisted the impulse to get fancy with it. I do use a slightly bigger tarp (JRB 9x9 silnylon, no longer sold) and a cut-down Thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear, along with a sleeping bag. The pad is as wide as the hammock, more or less, so it blocks drafts very well.

So that's what I do, and it works for me. I'm sure many other setups would work, too. If, when you're out on the trail, you see a hiker who hammocks, pick his/her brain and get a look at the setup. That may help you decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Good information here. A lot to learn, indeed.

I can see why most beginners would just say "to heck with all this" and head straight for the tent.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Nooooo, don't head to a tent in defeat! Lol. Purchasing a Tent can be just as confusing as a hammock; due to the various details considered. Hammocks are only confusing when considering brand, weight, suspension style, bug net or no bug net, tarp coverage and the most important for most people - cost.

However, it is hard to find fault with the all inclusive Warbonnet Blackbird or slightly more expensive XLC with simple buckles straps. Purchase Hanson's book, The Ultimate Hang (electronic version) and read it in one evening. The next afternoon take your hammock to the back yard or a local park that allows hanging and simply put up and take down the hammock 3 or 4 times. Before you take it down for the final time (and hoping for a fairly warm afternoon) lay in it and work on finding the sweat spot and angle of lay to fight the "banana" look. Be careful that you are not sleepy because you could end up taking a nap!

At my age, the last year in a tent cause more uncomfortable nights (and down time in camp) than my 1st year in a hammock. I use my hammock from set up, pre dinner nap, evening relaxation, morning breakfast and take down with more enjoyment then climbing in or out of a tent for sleep or getting out of the weather.

Yes, I have evolved! Lol
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

The real problem asking "which hammock is best?" Is that a lot of people have a lot of different experiences with the same hammocks. Your weight plays a decent part in which hammock you should start. I'm around 280lbs, hennessy hammocks don't support my weight class.

I started with an eno doublenest, and swapped out the biners for whoopie slings. I love this hammock because it's cost effective and a great starter model. Problem: the hammock was too short or I was too tall. Take your pick.

Now I'm in a warbonnet blackbird with whoopie slings. I love the built in bug net, the longer body, and the shelf.
    Problem: it doesn't breath well on the bottom during summer months.

So generally speaking, the only way to find "the best hammock" is to try different hammocks. Check out shugemery on youtube, he has a lot to say on the matter, and I mean A LOT.

Just finished the AT last week with a hammock. In choosing “which hammock”, the sheer amount of information in hammockforums.net can be overwhelming, so I wrote down my questions and emailed the owners of Dream Hammocks. Their response to my questions won my business. Am sure many other cottage vendors would have done the same.
    Gained a small amount of weight from my single walled tent, but this hammock was my palace from Pinkham Notch to Katahdin. Could not have done better.

I've been getting ready for my thru hike in 2017 and I'm strongly considering switching to a hammock set up. There are really a few reasons I am thinking about switching. Reason #1 - I'm a bigger guy and one of the things I hate is getting in and out of the tent. (not as young as I used to be) Reason #2 - always have a nice seat to relax in. Reason #3 - Easier to set up in the Rain. Reason #4 - I have sleep apena and I sleep better when my head is on an incline. I have a travel C-pap machine that will last about 5 days between charges, but its also added weight I would love to get rid of (4.5 pounds, ) On my last backpacking trip my total pack weight with food (3 days) , water and machine was 33 pounds. I'm still trying to shed weight to make up for that machine. I have a mild case so I might be able to go without using the hammock. I will have to test this out first. My goal was to get my total pack weight under 30 pounds when i start the AT.
    From what I have researched, I am strongly considering the Warbonnet blackbird with their superfly. I plan on getting it and trying it out on my next trip which is in about a month. (I'm glad i got the tent from REI in case I have need to return it.)

Love my blackbird. Started with a Hennessy but most can agree you will move on very quick from them. They are nice to get a full setup with the tarp and all but with a couple things from Dutch it makes hanging so easy. Hammockforums.net is the place to be. Try it out first before buying if possible. Before my Hennessy I had never hung before but after one night I made up my mind that I will not tent anymore. On the other hand my Wife, hung with me a few times but really prefers the tent. Some people love it some hate it.

Images

I agree with all viewpoints above. I sometimes wonder just how many hammock manufacturers there are. It seems like every few days I see a new name popping up. I´ve only experienced the Hennessy, the ENO and the Warbonnet, and there are things I like about all of them and things I don´t like. But, really, if you can buy a $25 hammock at your local box store just to try it out in your back yard, go for it.
    The things that are critical for me are cold back, sufficient tarp coverage, and privacy. I can solve all my concerns with any of the three I´m familiar with, but now I am partial to the Warbonnet BlackBird. I´m 5´9 and 160 pounds so don´t need the XLC but I would like to have some of it´s characteristics, namely the removable bug net and top cover. That´s a slick idea in my estimation. The best tarp on the market in my estimation is their Superfly with doors. Mounted low to the ground it gives almost as much privacy and weather resistance as a tent.
    I had sleep apnea too, for years, along with plantar fasciitis, high blood pressure and erectile dysfunction. That all went away when I went on a for-real diet and exercise program and lost 68 pounds. I had the travel c-pap, and actually carried a battery. That was on my kayak camping trips so weight was not such a factor.
    I couldn't possible think about thru hiking the AT with a c-pap. Thank goodness I´ve outgrown all those ailments. Camping, hiking, kayaking are all a lot more enjoyable now. The hammock helped wean me from the c-pap. I hung an ENO double nest in my bedroom for the year and a half it took me to lose the 68 pounds. Best dad gum sleep I ever had, better than I could possibly have imagined. I´d keep the bedroom hammock forever except my new girlfriend objected.

Images

I have been thinking about trying out a Hammock. After seeing this thread I went over to the Hammock forums and found this thread right away.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...Hammock-Setups

This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for! With those lists, I can get some "cheep" gear to try it out. Kinda like I did with the Wally World trekking poles.

V8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++