WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Was all that just to prove that it's possible to find something to talk about on Whiteblaze without someone asking about cheese?

And there you go mentioning cheese...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like cheese. And I just tried using the search... it wasn't very helpful at all, so I'm not surprised people would just ask.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Do not have to go too far back....editor has all of them for me, she said some thing about using them as teasers for the book and an unusual way to do a foreward. Not so sure how that would work but then again she is the boss lady not me.

And we can venture off topic....you mentioned before taking your wife on some trips? Is she a regular hiker? Or is she new? Has she done a long distance hike before? I am asking this in complete sincerity.
    Look it up :-)

Which sort of brings this back to the original issue.
    Last edited by rickb; 03-18-2016 at 21:25.

Which makes my point and the point of the OP.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Look it up :-)

Which sort of brings this back to the original issue.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Images

there are already 127 threads on this topic
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wow really? That is kind of sad huh? That it is so prominent that at least 127 threads have been dedicated to it and still is happening!
    If I had the time I would go back and see if the same names of the same offenders keep popping up....

BTW your signature is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    there are already 127 threads on this topic

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This thread has made me realize: Of all threads asking "How long does cheese last on the trail" I don't think anyone has ever suggested googling that specific question. Seems odd...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If I had the time I would go back and see if the same names of the same offenders keep popping up....
    Oh, go for it, Smoky. C'mon, don't be lazy. I'll bet your editor would love to know.

I want an editor.

And here I thought you wanted to be friends....lol

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I want an editor.

How about you do it for me? You have nothing better to do except but your nose into my life....and speaking of.....why are you on here all the time? Have you no life son? More than 11000 posts.....Guess that makes you a writer wanna be huh? 11000 plus posts.....THAT is a lot of writing, a lot of time....and since 2005....we always seem to discuss me, I think we need to discuss you for a while.
    When did you do your thru hike of the AT?
    How old are you?
    Married?
    What was your thru hike like?
    What do you do for a living?
    What kind of gear do you prefer most? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Oh, go for it, Smoky. C'mon, don't be lazy. I'll bet your editor would love to know.

I've been here for a while, Smoky. I come and go. Sometimes the mods tell me off, and sometimes I leave on my own, with other things to do. Lately: retired, it's winter, ski season sucks, so I have time for blogs.

I'll be off grid tomorrow, going for a hike, in fact. Check out terrapinphoto.com/wp, that's me. It will answer many of your questions. Lots of photos and journals. Yes, I like to write, that's true. My style is somewhere between LW's one-liners and Dogwood's ambling monologues.

This is a forum, not a wiki. It's a natural aspect of it that threads will be repetitive over time.

You know I said it before, the one thing you and I both agreed on was HOW LONG that thread had life! Never really thought it would last as long as it did. And it was interesting......oh, not purple colored energy efficient, after all isn't that the point of that particular "exercise" is to expend a wee bit of energy? And alas, it was pink not my favorite color but did have the best "buzzing" output.

Back to an earlier question....never tried the hemp....but do love the chia in organic Greek yogurt...now on the trail it of course has to be in the cream of wheat...also organic....a girl does have to watch she puts inside her body after all!

he he he Enjoyed the non confrontational cum back.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Was all that just to prove that it's possible to find something to talk about on Whiteblaze without someone asking about cheese?

What's the cost of a thru-hike? Can I thru-hike on $1000? What's the best tent? What kind of shoes is everyone using? Do I need waterproof shoes? What do people eat on the trail?.....................................

The quality of an answer is partly dependent on the quality of the question.

We're approaching this topic as noted by the OP mainly from the OP's perspective which is certainly a valid point of contention. But it also has been given consideration here on this thread and others. If there are 127 threads regarding replies of "look it up, do a search for it" perhaps questioners can also display a greater proactive willingness to do at least some rudimentary reading before asking the most commonly asked and extensively answered questions? Again, what is the goal...bitching and playing the blame game when not gaining a reply as desired OR contributing to solutions?

Sure, as the OP and others have related there have been some curt snarky "look it up, do a search for it" answers but when inquirers demonstrate ZERO initiative having done some previous research WHEN THEY OBVIOUSLY COULD HAVE while quickly resorting to a personal Q & A approach inquirers can be perceived as being lazy hence the reason for some snarky offended replies

And, despite the somewhat lame excuse that the WB Search engine sucks if one can sign on to WB they certainly should be capable of a learning how to do conduct a targeted WB or Google search BEFORE asking very common questions expecting a personal emergency Bat Phone line to Commissioner Gordon.

This is true, research is important....and I do actually understand how frustrating it could be to answer the same old questions again and again, but let's not forget that often the person asking the question is asking it for the first time. So a little kindness and patience could go a long way...

You get more flies with honey than vinegar goes the old saying but we are hikers and hikers despise flies....so there you go.

But in all honesty, it never hurts to answer honestly asked questions with a modicum of kindness....and if perhaps on that particular day when one is not feeling like being the hero answering the bat call for help then maybe one shouldn't pick up the phone.

Personally, i have researched my tail off....but then again I am a researcher....so for me it's all in a days work. Others however may not have access to the resources that I do and then there is the human experience factor. There is no research as good as asking people who live it....and on this site I think most feel like the hiker sages live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's the cost of a thru-hike? Can I thru-hike on $1000? What's the best tent? What kind of shoes is everyone using? Do I need waterproof shoes? What do people eat on the trail?.....................................

The quality of an answer is partly dependent on the quality of the question.

We're approaching this topic as noted by the OP mainly from the OP's perspective which is certainly a valid point of contention. But it also has been given consideration here on this thread and others. If there are 127 threads regarding replies of "look it up, do a search for it" perhaps questioners can also display a greater proactive willingness to do at least some rudimentary reading before asking the most commonly asked and extensively answered questions? Again, what is the goal...bitching and playing the blame game when not gaining a reply as desired OR contributing to solutions?

Sure, as the OP and others have related there have been some curt snarky "look it up, do a search for it" answers but when inquirers demonstrate ZERO initiative having done some previous research WHEN THEY OBVIOUSLY COULD HAVE while quickly resorting to a personal Q & A approach inquirers can be perceived as being lazy hence the reason for some snarky offended replies

And, despite the somewhat lame excuse that the WB Search engine sucks if one can sign on to WB they certainly should be capable of a learning how to do conduct a targeted WB or Google search BEFORE asking very common questions expecting a personal emergency Bat Phone line to Commissioner Gordon.

Yes it has been fun hasn't it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    he he he Enjoyed the non confrontational cum back.

I hope you have a good hike....stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I've been here for a while, Smoky. I come and go. Sometimes the mods tell me off, and sometimes I leave on my own, with other things to do. Lately: retired, it's winter, ski season sucks, so I have time for blogs.

I'll be off grid tomorrow, going for a hike, in fact. Check out terrapinphoto.com/wp, that's me. It will answer many of your questions. Lots of photos and journals. Yes, I like to write, that's true. My style is somewhere between LW's one-liners and Dogwood's ambling monologues.

Images

....As for any relationships I make on the trail, they are not going into the book, why would they? It's not about relationships on the trail, it's about the trail in and of itself......

The thing is, the people make the trail, at least the AT.

Yeah I am not much into people....well some people.....

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of your boss putting a not-into-people person, on a two-foot wide path, inevitably coming across fellow hikers she won't be able to ignore.

I like your boss

Maybe some folks just want to own their own thread on a subject, so they can quickly refer to those answers from their own profile page.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++