Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I only have single layer hammocks. I have used a thick yoga pad for a few years down to 20 degrees and stayed warm. I will use the sunscreen if I need just a bit more insulation in the warmer weather when I don't want to carry the yoga pad but the night temps are still too low for no bottom insulation... like 80 degrees overnight!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm a novice and a flat lander as well...never been on the AT but have been researching and just itching to get out there. I'd love to join!! It would be great to learn from more experienced ladies- but don't worry, I won't be bothersome

yay!! Looks like we'll have quite a good -sized group. This is going to be fun

Is July 30th-August 6th the plan? I'm wondering...if I can make that work, I'd plan it around a visit to my friend in PA. Perhaps from there (Lancaster area, but there is a train line) I could find a ride to wherever you all decide to get shuttled to the trail? Where would that location be?

Harper's Ferry, heading out on 7-31...I think we are all planning getting to town on the 30th and heading out together in the morning of the 31st.

Harper's Ferry is ON the trail, so that's the easy part. I'm guessing we'll set up an approximate meeting time, although arrival times will likely be somewhat scattered, as some of us are traversing a distance to get there. The ATC Headquarters might be a good spot. They have a hiker lounge.

Awesome I hope I can follow through to make it. Is there a safe place to park a car for the week in Harper's Ferry (if I end up road tripping from WI)?

There should be because hikers do it all the time.

I am doing a Damascus to Harpers Ferry hike starting the end of April. I also will be in the Shenandoahs in May/June and am trying to figure out how to hike lodge to lodge. That sounds nice. How many days are you hiking?

I'll be hiking for 1 week...unfortunately I still have a full time job and that is all the time I can get off at a time...can hardly wait until I can retire so I can hike all the time!!!

Well girls, I've been watching this post, and I guess I may try to join you. I have done some section hiking on the AT the last couple of years. Just can't stay away. I would love to meet some other women to plan further hiking trips with! Harper's Ferry or bust! Will fly into DC and take Amtrak to HF.

Alright...one more lady joining the hike...this is going to be great!!!

I'd like to say THANK YOU! to everyone who has joined his forum. I'ts so exciting reading all your posts and it is nice to know there are other out there who just HAVE to go hike. Last year I parked my car behind the AT headquarters for 2 nights while hiking north with my family. I called ahead and asked permission. That would be great since that is where we are meeting. There is also a tourist car park that allows you to leave your car overnight while hiking. I think you have to pay for a day pass when entering to park, but nothing else. I would call to make sure. Dink-I am in Georgetown, De this weekend, but am super busy at my father in laws's house or I would suggest getting together for a short hike. Maybe on my next trip down.

I wouldn't have been able to hike this weekend anyway because of prior commitments with my cub scouts... maybe next time if you give me a heads up in advance.

I know it's 3+ months away, but I just made a reservation for the 30th at the HI Harpers Ferry Hostel. If anybody else is looking for a hiker friendly spot - there are still beds available. Looks like a good common area for meeting up. I have heard good things about this hostel, has anybody stayed there? As our planning gets more specific, maybe we should get an email chain going.

Email chain sounds like a plan. I have never stayed in a hostel anywhere, just camping in the woods and paying for shower use at various state parks. I might just have to check the hostel out.

Email chain/list is a good idea. I'm willing to set up a group list if you PM me your addy....and no one else wants to take it on

Thank you mamamurf

Attempting email

I have 4 email addresses at this point. 5 counting mine. That makes about half of those who have expressed serious interest so far. Looking forward to adding more names, and even more hikers..we still have lots of time before this hike starts!! I am glad you started this thread, doeontrail!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++