WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Zpacks Free-Standing Tent Upgrade

Just received an update from ZPacks that their Duplex is now offered with a free-standing option upgrade for $150. All Duplexes made after mid-November can be used with the new 10oz pole system and tents older can be sent in for retrofitting.

This is good news in my opinion. I have a Duplex on order and I love that I will now have the option of using it as a free-standing tent (if and when I can suck up the extra money for the poles). My only issue with ordering the Duplex initially was the fact that it wasn't free-standing...all my dreams have now come true.

Anyone else think they may order the new poles for the upgrade?

Images

Just a very humble opinion, but why spend so much on a zpacks tent to begin with (let alone another $150) if now your total weight is close to less expensive tents?

The whole idea of a zpacks cuben tent is to save weight. Why the big desire for "free standing" ? Keep it simple. Keep it light. Save your $150.

Non-freestanding is really a non-issue. Again, just my humble opinion having used a zpacks non-free-standing Hexamid solo-plus for about 1000 miles of hiking, probably another 1000 miles in the next couple of months. I also have a very light free-standing tent. I don't notice any real difference in setup or use, after having set up both dozens and dozens of times.

"...but why spend so much on a zpacks tent to begin with (let alone another $150) if now your total weight is close to less expensive tents?"

Ahh, just look it up. Do a SEARCH for the answer.

Good question. Makes me second guess some folk's choices too? Some might like the option to have a non freestanding tent that can be converted to a freestanding tent.... with a rather hefty 10 oz wt gain if the OP's specs are correct. Makes me wonder though if one is desiring a freestanding tent as a customary set up, like you said Rob, just go with a different tent at a MUCH reduced cost from the get go with equal maybe even less wt with other comparable shelter features. I guess the freestanding feature could be a post retrofit optional set up for owners of the ZP Duplex already.

"...why spend so much on a zpacks tent to begin with..."

Because it's completely waterproof. That was my biggest reason for buying CF in the first place...not the weight savings (I already own a Lunar Solo at a few ozs more and a lot less money). I guess it was a little about weight savings because I could carry a bigger tent for the same weight and I didn't like the looks of the Sol or Altaplex.

I like options. I like choices. I agree that the $150 price tag on new poles is hefty, and I'll wait and see how I like the set-up with the regular poles first. I just thought it was a cool concept that ZPacks is offering.

Huh? You bought a cuben fiber ZP tent because it's completely WP? Didn't know ZP had a monopoly on WP shelters? Didn't know a shelter had to be made from cuben fiber to stay dry? I guess if we want to be dry we should all go out and opt for a ZP shelter? Umm, I'm strongly guesstimating other factors were significantly involved.

Seems like a nice option if you know you may be camping where there are difficult camp spots like wooden platforms or flat ledges. Makes setup way easier if you are not willing to take a little extra time and/or be a little creative.

However, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Huh? You bought a cuben fiber ZP tent because it's completely WP? Didn't know ZP had a monopoly on WP shelters? Didn't know a shelter had to be made from cuben fiber to stay dry? I guess if we want to be dry we should all go out and opt for a ZP shelter? Umm, I'm strongly guesstimating other factors were significantly involved.
    No need for the sarcasm! Didn't realize I was going to have to justify or rationalize my purchase or decisions for buying a particular tent from a particular maker out of a particular material.
    I wanted Cuben Fiber because of the WP qualities. I went with ZPacks because I liked the Duplex design.
    Yes, other tents stand up well in the rain, but there is always the misting issue in heavy rain with silnylon and other fabrics are heavier in general.

I tried to be helpful with some new information on the ZPacks Duplex but all the response I get is questioning my decisions on why I made the choices I did.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    No need for the sarcasm! Didn't realize I was going to have to justify or rationalize my purchase or decisions for buying a particular tent from a particular maker out of a particular material.
    I wanted Cuben Fiber because of the WP qualities. I went with ZPacks because I liked the Duplex design.
    Yes, other tents stand up well in the rain, but there is always the misting issue in heavy rain with silnylon and other fabrics are heavier in general.

I tried to be helpful with some new information on the ZPacks Duplex but all the response I get is questioning my decisions on why I made the choices I did.
    You should have known that so many people know what you need or want better than you do, lol. It is about options; I appreciate the heads up. Hike on my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    You should have known that so many people know what you need or want better than you do, lol. It is about options; I appreciate the heads up. Hike on my friend!
    Thanks for the smile...

Silny misting issues were(are?) due to perhaps inferior inconsistently manufactured inconsistent specked out silnys. With better quality threads and WPing silnys currently being manufactured with more consistent quality controls HH(Hydrostatic Head) is ranging 1200 on up to 10k +. By engineering accounts 1500 HH for the tent fabric main body is deemed WP for silny even in the wind driven heavy rainy of Great Britain.

Thanks for the explanation after I put you on the spot. You're not doing it all wrong.

BTW, getting someone to further explain THEIR situation, reasoning, and motivations and then offering some opinions based on this is NOT telling someone what they need to do. It IS about having more informed options hopefully with the opinions offering some additional considerations.

Adding 10 oz is not IMO an 'upgrade' when it pitches perfectly fine with the trekking poles I'm already carrying.

I read through all the previous posts and still can't nail down what advantage the poles offer.

The one big disadvantage I can see is that the ridgeline is not going to be nearly as taut when supported by that whippy, flexy external pole structure compared to the solid placement of trekking pole handles in those cups. I've ridden out only a couple of really bad storms in the Duplex, and a solid ridgeline seems a must to me.

If I were going to spend north of $600 on a tent I'd go with a Hilleberg. I was looking at that Zpac Hexamid and I liked it, but the price tag seems absurd for what they are producing. I don't care what it's made out of.

btw - I don't mean to sound anti-Zpacs here. I like their stuff! The tent you purchased will be an excellent shelter no doubt about it.

I can't comment on my Duplex yet, because I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait to get out on the trail with it. I love ZPacks, so far. I also got a completely customized backpack from them. I haven't used that on the trail yet, either, but I have loaded it up, and it came out exactly as I had hoped. Their service and responsiveness has been topnotch.

Thanks for letting me know about the new option for the Duplex. I can understand that some people would want to go with the free standing option, and I can understand why people would decide not to go that route. To me, the important thing is that this company provides both options, and keeps updating and improving products, based upon suggestions from customers. They are also great about updating gear when they come out with the new alternatives.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

I think it looks ugly. For 750+ bucks depending on your material finish your tent should look the part. I love my duplex. I love my challenger rain coat. They are both ballin and work amazing for what I expected them for. IMHO it's 180 to upgrade my camo duplex. No thanks. I'd rather take that cash and get into a tarp tent or spread my feet in something else as all these American cottage companies offer a handful of great options. I can get a double wall tent under 3 lbs for 180. Nothing against zpacks I've had good dealings with them but I think they should of spent time and energy in designing a new product. Maybe expanding their product lines into two options. One Cuban one silny. Idk throwing twp hooped poles on a tent that works just fine seems sloppy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlaze View Post
    If I were going to spend north of $600 on a tent I'd go with a Hilleberg. I was looking at that Zpac Hexamid and I liked it, but the price tag seems absurd for what they are producing. I don't care what it's made out of.
    So you'd rather spend $600 and carry 6lbs than spend $600 and carry 1.25lbs for a shelter that will do the same job?

With UL gear, cost is (very often, but not always) inversely proportionate to weight. It's not like buying filet mignon where more weight at less cost is better.

edit: change 'or' to 'than', duh
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-18-2016 at 08:21.

So after reading the comments here, maybe the theory is a good one, but the cost and added weight aren't worth it. I liked the idea but at the moment have no intention of buying the poles, especially for the price.

On this note, is there anywhere you can recommend me to buy some lightweight trekking pole extensions. I don't know how much I'll be using my poles (they are a new thing for me) but I thoroughly dislike the need to constantly adjust and readjust the height for my use and then tent pole use...I'd much rather carry a couple of extensions.

Dogwood...I understand about hydrostatic head and I agree with you, I just wanted a tent to add to my collection that would never run the risk of holding water. Each to their own and I bought my Duplex for my own reasons :thumb:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pole_jack.shtml

http://rutalocura.com/Polejack.html These are heavier duty without the heavy wt. Good especially for longer length pole jacks.

MLD and GG also sell pole jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pole_jack.shtml

http://rutalocura.com/Polejack.html These are heavier duty without the heavy wt. Good especially for longer length pole jacks.

MLD and GG also sell pole jacks.
    Thanks, guess I missed it on their websites.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    So after reading the comments here, maybe the theory is a good one, but the cost and added weight aren't worth it. I liked the idea but at the moment have no intention of buying the poles, especially for the price.

On this note, is there anywhere you can recommend me to buy some lightweight trekking pole extensions. I don't know how much I'll be using my poles (they are a new thing for me) but I thoroughly dislike the need to constantly adjust and readjust the height for my use and then tent pole use...I'd much rather carry a couple of extensions.
    Again, just another humble opinion, I'm not trying to tell you how to hike/camp/pack, but one fundamental concept behind UL hiking, and fine if you don't subscribe to UL hiking, is that of multi-use. An adjustable trekking pole works fine for pitching a zpacks tent, and it takes 2-3 seconds twice a day to adjust to the tent height then adjust to your hiking height. Why spend money and carry extra weight (however modest) to save 5 seconds a day? Have you actually hiked with your shiny new zpacks tent? If not, why not try before buying all this extra stuff that I bet you a buck you won't need or even actually want.

Some people constantly adjust their hiking pole lengths for going up/down/up/down/up/down, on the AT this truly would be a chore, and I find one length works fine for both up and down hills.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++