WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOC to Cheoah Bald

Planning to do a section in the next few weeks from Winding Stair Gap to Yellow Gap, NC. Does anyone know if there is any tent sites between NOC and Sassafras Shelter?

OR if there are any reasonable flat spots near the shelter?

From what I remember there MAY be one spot at the shelter but I think its pretty much on a big slant. it was the second section I ever did on the AT and I recall a ridgeline shortly before the shelter but not much designated.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I don't think there are any designated tent sites, but it's all national forest land, so you can just throw up a tent wherever you can find a flat spot.
    It's all good in the woods.

There is a nice flat area about 2 -2.5 miles out of the NOC. You cant miss it. Its a big open flat area with a massive exposed rock. The kind of rock you would expect Simba to be looking out from. There is a stream 25 yards away on the left side of the AT.

I would camp on top of Cheoah Bald. That is a magical place. I swear its a vortex; it holds special energy

I second blue indian's suggestion: Cheoah Bald. I remember several places to tent between NOC and Sassafras Shelter, including the exposed rock area mentioned above. I believe there is some type of memorial for a firefighter there? There are also plenty of tent sites at Sassafras Shelter if you are wanting to stay there. Not the best sites, but usable.

I hammocked at Cheoah Bald last spring, and it is a magical place, especially if you ignore the fire circle filled with trash.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I hammocked at Cheoah Bald last spring, and it is a magical place, especially if you ignore the fire circle filled with trash.
    Yep...I hauled a bunch of crap down to the dam last winter...id love to catch the arseholes who leave this stuff behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, saltysack. I felt guilty that I didn't. As I progressed southward, the garbage at shelters and fire circles increased, especially in Georgia, and it was very sad to see. I guess I just don't understand what's so hard about packing out what you pack in.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I guess I just don't understand what's so hard about packing out what you pack in.
    It amazes me just how little people care about the mess they leave behind them. I do my best to not leave anything behind and normally check any area I've been in for gear/trash/etc before I head out again. It's not hard, yet some people manage to make it seem like it is.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Glad I have some options. Weather depending I might plan to camp on top. I've seen pictures and it looks amazing. I'll be sure to gather trash remnants if there is any.

Happy trails!

So it looks like I may be pushing farther than anticipated for this trip. Definitely taking time or a night to enjoy Cheoah Bald, weathering permitting. But also excited to get in a few more miles!

Do you all know if there is tent camping at Brown Fork Gap Shelter a little ways up the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine8 View Post
    So it looks like I may be pushing farther than anticipated for this trip. Definitely taking time or a night to enjoy Cheoah Bald, weathering permitting. But also excited to get in a few more miles!

Do you all know if there is tent camping at Brown Fork Gap Shelter a little ways up the trail?
    You will be ready for a good break at the bald......all up hill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

It is all up hill, but WELL worth the effort! On the opposite side of the ridge from the bald is a rock outcropping where I witnessed the most incredible sunset of my life! Have a good breakfast at the NOC and leave early enough that you can take your time getting to Cheaoh Bald. It's only about 8 miles, but you will climb over 3300 feet.

Images

When I ascended, I met some fellas heading down who said the view was worth half the effort. They were wrong!

Images

I settled in on the ridge overlooking the Sassafras shelter. Room enough for a small tent trailside away from the shelter noise and pollution. The stuff sack from my neo air mat ought to be hanging in a tree there. I tried to use t filled with a few stones to line my bear bag over a limb. Got caught in a snag and is probably still there.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

One of the best sunsets Ive ever seen was also from Cheoah Bald. In fact, that sunset was so spectacular that it was the inspiration for the cover of "Wheres the Next Shelter".

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine8 View Post
    Yes, plenty of spots.
    -tagg

Awesome (about the campsite)! I'll keep my eye out for the bag and gather it if I can. Just an FYI, I typically tie a decent size rock to one end of my bear hang rope to get over a limb. Try that instead of snagging stuff sacks.

Thanks for your help,

++ New Posts ++