Default skincare on the trail

I'm one of those people who has perfectly nice skin provided I wash it every morning and night reliably, but who breaks out into a nasty mess if I miss even one day. Do any of y'all have thoughts on how to keep this from happening on the trail? I know I can't do my usual kiehl's routine that i would at home but I also would rather not be dealing with breakouts the whole time I'm hiking, both because they hurt and because I do plan on taking pictures.

What kind of routine do you have?

You might want to think about weaning yourself off it slowly and giving your skin time to adjust. Many people suffer from skin issues after quitting something they've been doing for years...and it's because the skin is then trying to over-compensate for all the oils and protectants that you remove every day, twice a day, and getting back to finding a balance.

Weaning can either be doing something less often, with less product or both.

If you use a water bladder you can fill that with water, hang it from a tree and use it like a shower of sorts. At least enough to wet your face and hands, add soap, suds up and rinse off. Remember any washing you do must be done away from the water source. Washing in a water source is a hanging offense. Somebody is going to be drinking out of it once your gone.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    What kind of routine do you have?

You might want to think about weaning yourself off it slowly and giving your skin time to adjust. Many people suffer from skin issues after quitting something they've been doing for years...and it's because the skin is then trying to over-compensate for all the oils and protectants that you remove every day, twice a day, and getting back to finding a balance.

Weaning can either be doing something less often, with less product or both.
    I use a pretty basic face wash (kiehls ultra face cleanser) with a clarisonic brush, and then moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning and a retinoid moisturizer product at night. and i do the occasional clay mask but tbh its more entertaining than functional

Like DuneElliot said, I am weaning myself off of most of the stuff I used to use on my face. I would love to be able to not have to wash with anything more than water in the morning. It's amazing how much money I used to spend on skincare products too. That dang marketing. Better to have a few breakouts early into my hike if it means my skin is balancing itself back out. Also avoiding sugar seems to help.

On that note, I will be bringing a tiny bottle of my cleanser to use when I'm in town or at a hostel. A little luxury to go with a hot shower once or twice a week.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Good idea, never considered trying that and I use a water bladder all the time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you use a water bladder you can fill that with water, hang it from a tree and use it like a shower of sorts. At least enough to wet your face and hands, add soap, suds up and rinse off. Remember any washing you do must be done away from the water source. Washing in a water source is a hanging offense. Somebody is going to be drinking out of it once your gone.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Cold water splashed or patted on your skin. No soap or other cleanser unless you're absolutely filthy. Give hair a cold, quick final rinse.

At your age Olivia I don't know why you need anything about than a mild soap when at home, even with the breakouts.

To all: please do not take anything (from toothpaste to facial cleansers and more) containing microbeads. They are a menace to animals. Thank you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...124_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Cold water splashed or patted on your skin. No soap or other cleanser unless you're absolutely filthy. Give hair a cold, quick final rinse.

At your age Olivia I don't know why you need anything about than a mild soap when at home, even with the breakouts.

To all: please do not take anything (from toothpaste to facial cleansers and more) containing microbeads. They are a menace to animals. Thank you.

Thank God they finally banned them by law recently

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post

A++++ post
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Thank God they finally banned them by law recently
    Goes into effect sometime next year. Yes Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    A++++ post
    Thank you.

I read somewhere about small individual packs of coconut oil that you could use as face moisturizer and hair conditioner. Having trouble finding them tho.

++ New Posts ++