WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UL Sleeping bag

I would have to check, but I think it's a regular. I bought it for my wife to replace her BA Fria.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefruit View Post
    There were three of us from the SOBO class of 2015 so you really missed the mark on that one haha. Im thinking of getting the Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveler. I've met people who loved their underquilts but never met anyone with their Top Quilt. Anyone know about the quality?
    i have a Jacks R Better High Sieraa Sniveller top quilt, and the quality is top notch. I've bad it down to single digit temps and was toasty warm.

I'm happy with a pair of Mountain Hardware "Phantom" bags from about ten years back. Phantom 45 for summer, 32 for spring and fall. No signs of wear on either of these, so I haven't kept up with current models and prices.

You should really look into a quilt. I gave up on sleeping bags, even for ground pounding. Quilts are lighter and cheaper. For tenting, make sure you get the widest width and, if you squirm around a lot in your sleep, a pad attachment system. Two great sources are Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    You should really look into a quilt. I gave up on sleeping bags, even for ground pounding. Quilts are lighter and cheaper. For tenting, make sure you get the widest width and, if you squirm around a lot in your sleep, a pad attachment system. Two great sources are Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Not having used a quilt, I'd like to know why one would want to get the widest width option? I see many quilts makers have a lot of sizing options, but little guidance in the way of what options are best for what scenarios. Is this just info one has to get through experience?

In a hammock you're underside is wrapped in a stationary underquilt so you don't need as much leeway in your topquilt. on the ground it's nice to have a little extra on each side to keep from coming uncovered during the night, as you toss around in your sleep. if you're a side sleeper you have a bit more width to cover.

Journal Entries

EE quilt is the ticket.

Images

I have really broad shoulders and do not sleep on my back, so I toss, turn, side sleep..............just bought my 2nd Mont Bell super spiral. Plenty of room, lower priced, similar weight as WM........also check out Brooks Range!

I'm pretty ultralight, but I use a synthetic quilt for the simple reason if down gets wet, you are ****ED!!!!

Seriously, I converted a North Face 20 degree cat's meow into a quilt, not the lightest thing, but my total packweight is a bit over 10lbs. Wouldn't be a picnic if you got wet, but I had my down bag get wet in the footbox on Springer a few years back, and I had to hike 10 miles farther than I wanted, nasty, rainy night, and all I wanted was to get sleep.

Used one to Penn on my 2010 thru and it was great, but have gotten spectacularly screwed by down bags twice, and can no longer recommend them to serious hikers.

Meant to say F|_|CKED, but the filter lol

on the other hand, plenty of serious hikers would scoff at anything other than down (for themselves)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rainydaykid View Post
    I'm pretty ultralight, but I use a synthetic quilt for the simple reason if down gets wet, you are ****ED!!!!

Seriously, I converted a North Face 20 degree cat's meow into a quilt, not the lightest thing, but my total packweight is a bit over 10lbs. Wouldn't be a picnic if you got wet, but I had my down bag get wet in the footbox on Springer a few years back, and I had to hike 10 miles farther than I wanted, nasty, rainy night, and all I wanted was to get sleep.

Used one to Penn on my 2010 thru and it was great, but have gotten spectacularly screwed by down bags twice, and can no longer recommend them to serious hikers.
    45 years of backpacking, probably 15,000 miles all over the country and world, never once wetted out a sleeping bag to where down would be ineffective. YMMV, obviously. I don't know a single "serious hiker", and I know a lot of hikers, who would consider anything except good down for their bags.

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Enlightened equipment has 30 degree quilts ready to ship.
    They must have been inundated with orders, or gone on vacation. Nothing is ready to ship, that I can find, and says 9-11 weeks for delivery! I'm in a pickle now, have to get 4 bags within the next week or two.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFool View Post
    They must have been inundated with orders, or gone on vacation. Nothing is ready to ship, that I can find, and says 9-11 weeks for delivery! I'm in a pickle now, have to get 4 bags within the next week or two.
    Jacks R Better's quilts are almost always in stock and ship within a day or two. Their quality and customer service are excellent.

Images

WM Ultralite if your slender... I'm just shy of 6'3" and there is enough slack I can bunch up and lay on my side. I've taken it to low single digits wearing socks and silkweights but I'm a warm sleeper. Under your criteria, I could probably get by with a 30* WM bag and shave some ounces.

Invest in a good dry bag for you sleeping bag. Being in a wet bag would suck no matter what it's made out of. Many years ago I swam a rucksack across the Chattahoochee on Ft Benning, took about 20minutes. Sleeping bag stayed dry.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I use my WM Megalight as a quilt most of the time. Slight weight penalty compared to a full blown quilt but more versatile, for me.
    I took my daughter backpacking recently and she moved around all night and hated being an a bag.
    I will be buying her a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFool View Post
    Email them, normally Tyler will answer. I ordered a Rev 30, told him I needed it by 4/12, got it last week. Total leadtime was 5 weeks. Not certain they will get yours done in 2 weeks, but you'll get a quick response one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Email them, normally Tyler will answer. I ordered a Rev 30, told him I needed it by 4/12, got it last week. Total leadtime was 5 weeks. Not certain they will get yours done in 2 weeks, but you'll get a quick response one way or another.
    yeah, I did, and they confirmed that it was that long. Business is TOO good, thanks to OutdoorGearLab, and this forum, among others giving them good reviews.

I'm really interested in the hydrophobic down, as a chemist, but from everything I've read and seen about it, it doesn't live up to the hype. If my back injuries get worse, I might get one later on, I'll do whatever it takes to keep hiking. For now, I'm satisfied with a slightly over 10lb base weight.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    45 years of backpacking, probably 15,000 miles all over the country and world, never once wetted out a sleeping bag to where down would be ineffective. YMMV, obviously. I don't know a single "serious hiker", and I know a lot of hikers, who would consider anything except good down for their bags.
    Down is great, don't get me wrong. It is amazing as an insulator, but it's glaring weakness is one that I can't overlook. I have a few friends with significant survivalist skills like myself that are the same way. A wet synthetic bag would suck to sleep in, but wrung out it would still provide insulation value. I've started fires in the rain before, and practice primitive firestarting methods as well, but there are some monster downpours I've ran into where it would be good luck getting a fire going to dry your bag.

Like I said, I still manage to be ultralight even with a synthetic quilt, so trust me, I see the value in carrying the lightest possible gear, half my stuff is zpacks. But I carry a synthetic vest, light fleece, and synthetic quilt. Those are my last lines of defense. I don't bring a gun or monster rambo knife, though. But all the serious hikers I know that have a military background wouldn't touch the stuff. Then again, most people I've seen on the AT couldn't get a fire going even with a lighter, and I haven't ran into many that actually practice wilderness survival skills.

If they could make hydrophobic down truly as water resistant as they claim, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. But sh1t happens, and I plan on doing some really remote hikes later, now that I have my veteran's disability for PTSD and don't have to worry about working. Being in nature is the only thing that has ever helped that. All the pills the VA handed out didn't help at all. I'm 2 classes away from my Chemistry degree, been going since 2006, had to drop out 5 times for medical issues related to my time in Iraq, did a thru in 2010 that helped immensely.

I've seriously considered just hiking trails for the rest of my life, nothing else has helped at all. I'm going to spend the winter in Florida on the FT, just to see if year round hiking is feasible for me, after my 2016 thru, not sure what I'll do when I'm done, maybe the PCT or a third AT thru in 2017, then finish school. Just have nuclear physics and inorganic chemistry left to pass. Even a chemistry degree has been easy as hell for the most part, aside from nuclear and 3 other classes, I barely studied.

I wouldn't even bother finishing college honestly, if I wasn't 2 classes away from graduating. I was already able to get 70k worth of student loans discharged because of my disability ruling, which will help immensely, but I still want to finish.

But being outdoors is something we can all agree on, no matter your gear choices and skills. I personally hate gear, being a minimalist, and would love to hike with nothing. But, we all need tools and gear to survive, unfortunately. So I get by with as little as possible, and make it as light as feasible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++