WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UL Sleeping bag

Default UL Sleeping bag

I don't need more than a 20 degree bag but was just looking for input on what to get. was looking at western mountaineering and have been advised to get their bags multiple times. I was wondering if there was anything cheaper and just as light.

Looked at the zpacks 20 degree bag.

Enlightened equipment has 30 degree quilts ready to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize, i meant i need at least a 20 degree bag

I'm going to back up what others have said...I've owned three WM bags. All have been terrific products. Took me three times to find the "right" WM bag for me. A left-zip Megalite.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm partial to Montebello Down Hugger bags. http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=3212
    Note they offer their bags in 3 different down weights, 650, 800 and 900 down.

Western Mountaineer and Feathered Friends are also top quality bags.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

All the high end , lightweight bags cost $$$

You want leading edge performance in anything, you pay premium price.

You can get a heavier, lower fill , non dwr, bag for a lot less.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-18-2016 at 07:42.

For the price and quality I'll second the Enlightened Equipment quilts/bags. I love my Convert. I love the options you get with it and I loved the customer service when I changed my mind 3 times.

My friend bought a REI bag and has been very happy with it. The REI Igneo Might be what you are looking for at a better price. A higher fill down product is more money, unless you go with a quilt.

Garlic
    Images

Marmot bags go on sale once in a while, and they're fairly high in quality. My Marmot Helium has been excellent, and it cost around $260.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You can also go for a higher temp rating bag, less fill, less weight and less money. I used a 35? degree WM bag (Highlight) that cost around $270. I suffered through a couple of 20 degree nights. Pain builds character.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefruit View Post
    I apologize, i meant i need at least a 20 degree bag
    If you go the quilt route, an EE Revelation made with 800 GDD (gray duck down) is a pretty good deal. I have an Enigma long/wide using this down and it is absolutely fine.

A 20deg reg/reg is $250 with downtek treatment and weighs 19.8oz. Hard to beat that on all fronts. Only downside is "shipping in 9-11 weeks" (!!)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-19-2016 at 16:12.

Images

I have the Western Mountaineering Megalite too. Absolutely the best bag for me..
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefruit View Post
    I don't need more than a 20 degree bag but was just looking for input on what to get. was looking at western mountaineering and have been advised to get their bags multiple times. I was wondering if there was anything cheaper and just as light.

Looked at the zpacks 20 degree bag.

How about helping us to help you by offering some more details like: what specific 20* WM bag are you referring(nice to have a baseline we're both working from to be on the same page), comfortable price pt range, features in a sleeping bag your are seeking(other than light wt??? and cheaper???), if you are willing to consider a 20* quilt, etc?

Where were all you Toms River area hikers when I lived there? There was NO ONE on WB from the TR area when I first signed onto WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    How about helping us to help you by offering some more details like: what specific 20* WM bag are you referring(nice to have a baseline we're both working from to be on the same page), comfortable price pt range, features in a sleeping bag your are seeking(other than light wt??? and cheaper???), if you are willing to consider a 20* quilt, etc?

Where were all you Toms River area hikers when I lived there? There was NO ONE on WB from the TR area when I first signed onto WB.
    There were three of us from the SOBO class of 2015 so you really missed the mark on that one haha. Im thinking of getting the Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveler. I've met people who loved their underquilts but never met anyone with their Top Quilt. Anyone know about the quality?

Sea to summit came out with a new line of ultra light down bags last year. Probably the spark iii is closest to what you would be looking for. Worth checking out anyway.

Sierra Designs Zissou 23 is on sale just about everywhere. how good is this bag?..

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    My friend bought a REI bag and has been very happy with it. The REI Igneo Might be what you are looking for at a better price. A higher fill down product is more money, unless you go with a quilt.
    I have the REI Igneo and I am more than impressed; sub 2lb, 19degree, dridown, and water resistant panels in key areas for under $300! I really like it and have had it down to 15degrees with my xtherm without issue with appropriate layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    Sierra Designs Zissou 23 is on sale just about everywhere. how good is this bag?..
    I am selling one right now as a matter of fact! Honestly, not good down to 20, but 30 is easily no problem.

There are lots of variables to consider, Dogwood brought up some. For me a key is how I sleep, I am tosser, run hot, shift from position to position through out the night. For me it's a quilt. My daughter is the other extreme, sleeps like King Tut, runs moderately cool, doesn't move an inch. She's in a BA bag integrated into their sleeping pad.

Once you figure how you sleep, then it's a function of how much your want in volume, weight and cost. Good sources for discounted gear are steepandcheap.com (they just dumped a bunch of Marmot bags for 40% discounts) backpackinglight.com gear swap, sierratradingpost.com rei's outlet store and some times ebay. I got a 15 deg Marmot Helium on ebay for $130

Western Mountaineering is one of the more expensive brands, can't go wrong, but there are better values if you're willing to spend the time.

Is that Marmot a Long size?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++