WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Going Ultralight Gear List Comments & Suggestions Welcome

I recently started converting to Ultralight gear. Here is my gear list so far. Questions, comments, or suggestions welcomed.

Pack: Granite Gear Crown VC 60 2lbs 2oz
    Tent: 6 Moons Design Skyscape Scout w/ tyvek ground sheet 2lbs 7oz
    Sleeping Bag: Marmot Always Summer 1lbs 13oz
    Sleeping Pad: Therm-A-Rest Classic 14oz
    Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket 3oz
    Cooking Pot: GSI Minimalist 5oz
    Fork: Sea To Summit Spork .3oz
    Trowel: Coughlan Trowel 2oz
    Towel: Medium Pack towel 1.6 oz
    Filter: Swayer Mini: 2oz
    Trekking Poles: REI Carbon Composite 1lbs .1oz

Total 9lbs 2.1oz

I think spare clothing counts towards your base weight if you are bringing any. Rain gear? Fuel/water bottles. Alcohol stove is lighter then pocket rocket not only on the stove side but the fuel containers as well. I used the brs3000t I got the other day. I also have a knock off pocket rocket that was 10 bucks. I like the alcohol stove better. Everyone is different though. Be comfortable. That's what counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missing clothing list (clothes carried not worn), toiletries, FA kit, rain gear, any electronics such as phone and camera plus charging cables

I think with the Trekker you could drop the ground cloth or switch it with 2mil polycro to get the weight back to 26oz rather than 39oz

Other than that, it looks good. Your weights look similar to mine and I'm still trying to figure out what to ditch and still be somewhat comfortable.

Journal Entries

Wheres the ultralight gear?

I see lightweight gear.

And a big gap where your other 5 lbs of stuff should be listed

Hat
    Insulation
    Midlayer
    Raingear
    Spare socks
    Gloves
    Headnet
    Headlamp
    First aid
    Maps
    Compass
    Guidebook pages
    Foodbag
    Bear bag line and carabiner
    Spare batteries
    Cell phone
    Charger
    Pack liner/cover
    Stuffsaks
    Stakes
    Garbage ziplock
    Spare ziplocks
    Knife
    Long underwear
    Toiletries containers
    Fuel container
    Groundsheet
    Water bottles

Etc
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-22-2016 at 14:52.

Journal Entries
    Images

Pack: Granite Gear Crown VC 60 2lbs 2oz
    Tent: 6 Moons Design Skyscape Scout w/ tyvek ground sheet 2lbs 7oz
    Sleeping Bag: Marmot Always Summer 1lbs 13oz
    Sleeping Pad: Therm-A-Rest Classic 14oz
    Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket 3oz
    Cooking Pot: GSI Minimalist 5oz
    Fork: Sea To Summit Spork .3oz
    Trowel: Coughlan Trowel 2oz
    Towel: Medium Pack towel 1.6 oz
    Filter: Swayer Mini: 2oz
    Trekking Poles: REI Carbon Composite 1lbs .1oz

I agree with above posts that this gear list is incomplete even for a section hike.
    It doesn't look bad really,and although I have the scout myself there is better options out there for weight,I switched to the deshutes plus shelter with tyvek ground sheet and it is at 20.5 ounces.
    Also the always summer bag can be replaced with a quilt like enlightened equipment quilts and is more versatile and lighter.
    Also as stated alcohol stoves and kitchen adjustments can save lots of weight,by switching to titanium cook set etc.
    My fancy feast stove doesn't even register on the scale and I carry between 4 and 8 ounces of fuel depending ..
    I use roughly one ounce to ounce and a half a day at most.
    Also as stated your clothes for layering,
    A good puffy or down coat can be a key piece in your kit and as light as 8 ounces up to around 14 ounces for a synthetic like a thermoball.
    You as well have to add some weight on for small minimalist first aid kit,headlamp,electronics bag and toiletries/hygeine bag.
    Your off to A great start but just by looking at things I would say you will probably have to tack on another 5 to 6 pounds for your total base weight. which still isn't bad.
    But im no expert by far and still battle with my weight everytime I load my pack up lol.

You are planning to carry a way-heavy trowel that will break in tough ground. I know trowels. Can you dig it?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Looks like a pretty good start at you first attempt to get light. You will find if you really are hit with the UL bug that many of those items that are "pretty light" just wont cut it when trying to get there. I say enjoy what you have and slowly work your way down in weight as you realize what your comfort and safety levels are.

OP; sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tent are way too heavy to be considered UL. The pack is a good start but the other's need to get switched out for much lighter. Loose the trowel. Always a rock to roll over or a stick to dig with. A base weight of 6lbs w/out food and water is more like it and maybe 8lbs in winter conditions w/exception of glacier travel and deep snow conditions. Post up your complete list for scrutiny/overhaul and you'll see what UL means. Spend the money well the first time on high quality UL gear but do your research first. Some of the gear out there advertised as UL really isn't, like your sleeping bag! Good luck in the UL quest.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

++ New Posts ++