Journal Entries
    Images

Default Looking at a ULA Circuit

Has anyone on here carried this pack for a thru-hike? Pros & Cons? Thanks
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Assuming you need the capacity, buy it. It is a great pack. They are well made from a company with great customer service, well designed and comfortable without too many bells/whistles.

Cons are you can get packs that are a bit lighter.

You will find the Circuit a more popular pack on the PCT. I used the Catalyst for several years until I had my volume down enough to go to the Circuit. I found that it will accommodate a bear can horizontally. But, nothing wrong with the Catalyst.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

We see a LOT of Circuits on the AT, too.

I carried one for years - actually, two, since my hiking partner swiped my first one and I got a custom job from ULA which I totally thrashed for five years. The Circuit is a well-designed pack for a long distance hiker. It's comfortable with 30+ pounds, carries well, has a good suspension system, and plenty of usable storage in the mesh pockets. It's a good choice for people with reasonably light base weights (15-20 pounds).

Two years ago I finally talked my wife out of her 4+ pound Osprey and she got a Circuit, which she carried on our Long Trail end to end, and on several hikes since. She was very leery of an ultralight pack, but ended up very much liking the Circuit. She says she doesn't even notice the pack, which I think is high praise indeed.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If you don't need quite capacity (weigh hauling mainly) of even the Circuit, the Ohm from ULA is also a good choice. CO Rob uses it extensively I believe.

I personally use the Catalyst and the CDT. The wife uses the Circuit. As others said, fantastic packs from a great company.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-24-2016 at 13:17.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    If you don't need quite capacity (weigh hauling mainly) of even the Circuit, the Ohm from ULA is also a good choice. CO Rob uses it extensively I believe.

I personally use the Catalyst and the CDT. The wife uses the Circuit. As others said, fantastic packs from a great company.
    I do (use the OHM 2.0), as does my wife, but we are near-ULers, with 8-10 pounds base weights and never carry more than about 25 lbs (incl food and water) on spring/summer/fall hikes (unless it's a technical climb). The OHM weighs about 11 ounces less than the circuit and is plenty supportive for up to 22-25lbs. If you have a base weight over 12 pounds or so you'll probably appreciate the better load carrying capacity of the Circuit. Both the OHM and Circuit are about the same size.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, yeah my base weight is normally @ 18-20lbs. I currently carry a Go-Lite "Jam" Medium & I believe this pack with be a little larger & will handle my BV450 well. It says it will hold a BV500 vertical so I shld have no problem.

I'm comparing it to the Mountain Laurel "Exodus" (2.6 lbs) (58 Liters) But that doesn't have load lifters which I like. It also doesn't come with hip pockets but I can add those & that'll make that pack @ the same as the Circuit in price @ $240 but the Circuit is (68 Liters). So I'm not sure what volume is best?

I also use the ULA Circuit and have been using it for the past 4 or 5 years (as a mostly weekend warriors with occasional longer section hikes mixed in). I have no complaints with the pack and would (and often do) highly recommend it to others. I will probably get another (or OHM) when this one wears out. I do not know my pack weight but I would guess it is in the 20- 25 lb range with food and water.

The Circuit will handle an 8.5 X 12 bear canister horizontally. I used the Backpackers Cache this past summer on the PCT through the Sierras with this can fitting horizontally in the extension collar with no problems. It is tight but it will fit. I found this much more comfortable than fitting it vertical.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thanks, yeah my base weight is normally @ 18-20lbs. I currently carry a Go-Lite "Jam" Medium & I believe this pack with be a little larger & will handle my BV450 well. It says it will hold a BV500 vertical so I shld have no problem.

I'm comparing it to the Mountain Laurel "Exodus" (2.6 lbs) (58 Liters) But that doesn't have load lifters which I like. It also doesn't come with hip pockets but I can add those & that'll make that pack @ the same as the Circuit in price @ $240 but the Circuit is (68 Liters). So I'm not sure what volume is best?
    I have doubts a circuit is the right pack for you with that baseweight where water carries of 4 L+ may be needed.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-24-2016 at 16:34.

I used a GG Mariposa Plus on the PCT, but switched to a Circuit halfway through the AT as that Mariposa was getting worn out, have used the Circuit since. Just bought a new one as my old one has over 7000 miles on it; it's still entirely usable, just worn in various places enough now that for longer trips in future I decided to splurge on a new one.

Circuit is an excellent pack for a thru-hike. If it worked for me on the CDT, it will certainly handle the PCT, to include the weight and volume needed for the Sierras if you're not packing too heavy/bulky for it (and if you are, then go for a Catalyst). For the times when you have to have a bear can, remember that you can always put more of other stuff outside the pack, in external mesh or even strapped on somehow.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have doubts a circuit is the right pack for you with that baseweight where water carries of 4 L+ may be needed.
    I pack pretty light & don't want too much room & it looks like several ppl on here have thru-hiked with this pack. I do understand it may get a little crammed in the dessert with extra water but I'll have to make due. Thanks Everyone!

I used the Circuit on my thru's. Base weight around 12lbs. I tend to skip resupplies (usual 7-9 days between), so have to carry extra food (often 18lbs+water). Handled weights up to 30lbs easily. Looks almost brand new even today. I took out the aluminum stay in the back and just use the carbon fiber hoop.

My next pack will the the Ohm - I'm getting older and packing lighter, and no longer want to heft heavy weights.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    I used the Circuit on my thru's. Base weight around 12lbs. I tend to skip resupplies (usual 7-9 days between), so have to carry extra food (often 18lbs+water). Handled weights up to 30lbs easily. Looks almost brand new even today. I took out the aluminum stay in the back and just use the carbon fiber hoop.

My next pack will the the Ohm - I'm getting older and packing lighter, and no longer want to heft heavy weights.
    Yeah I'm wondering if the Ohm will be a good pack for me because I'm considering buying all new lighter gear. My current gear is good but it is 8-10 years old.

Another happy circuit user here....great pack from a great American company! I'm mostly an AT section hiker but did a 13 day JMT thru last September. Pack did great and held the Bearikade weekender horizontal with no problems...I've had it about 5 years on many adventures and still looks new! Ohm 2.0 prob my next pack as I've lightened up my load a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I pack pretty light & don't want too much room & it looks like several ppl on here have thru-hiked with this pack. I do understand it may get a little crammed in the dessert with extra water but I'll have to make due. Thanks Everyone!

Above you said your baseweight was 18-20 lbs.
    We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes "pretty light"

20 lb base, 10 lbs food, 9 lb water is over what a circuit will comfortably handle. Ive owned 3. Youd be better served to shave 2 lb off your base and carry a conventional 4 lb pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2016 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Above you said your baseweight was 18-20 lbs.
    We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes "pretty light"

20 lb base, 10 lbs food, 9 lb water is over what a circuit will comfortably handle. Ive owned 3. Youd be better served to shave 2 lb off your base and carry a conventional 4 lb pack.
    15 to 20 lb range for base weight is Catalyst territory, according to ULA. Perhaps that one would work?

No way would I use a Circuit with a 20lb base wt. There probably isn't enough room in the pack for a bear vault and other gear, or a lot of food for long resupplies.

++ New Posts ++