Default BV500 --> KM - VVR without resupply

Good morning

I was not sure in which forum (JMT or PCT) I should post a new thread.

How did you guys manage to hike from Kennedy Meadwos to Vermilion Valley Resort without resupplying?
    As we must store all food in a bear can, I wonder how it's possible to put food for 11days into a BV500...

Thanks for your help
    Fuf

See my post in original thread.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuf View Post
    Good morning

How did you guys manage to hike from Kennedy Meadwos to Vermilion Valley Resort without resupplying?
    As we must store all food in a bear can, I wonder how it's possible to put food for 11days into a BV500...

Thanks for your help
    Fuf
    The secret is to run out of food, or not eat enough. If you want to stay fed dont pick up your resupply and bear car till mile 750. Even then I'd still have to bail at Bishop Pass to avoid running out of food.

Or move fast and eat a lot of peanut butter. When I hiked, a bear canister wasn't required until about 60 miles after KM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuf View Post
    Good morning

Thanks for your help
    Fuf

Guete Morge

Several threads going involving this topic with much good info already shared.

To offer a slightly different informational approach FWIW, even though I will not hike that section with 11 days of food attempting to stuff it all into one BV500 because i don't have to I have been able to condense 7 days food after repackaging everything with dense high cal/oz food(155 cal /oz avg) into a BV 450 avg 3300-3600 cals/daily with another days food stored in a stuff sack outside of the container for consuming that day to make for a 8 day Sierra food supply. Inside this BV 450 I can also store lip balm, bug juice, toothpaste, toothbrush, and other minimal hygiene products.

Hike longer hrs, do higher mileage days, ration food, opt for extremely densely packaged/repackaged food, opt for minimal odorous hygiene products for a time(these go into the can too!), resupply more often, drink copious amounts of H2O to help with being satiated, opt for food with good fiber to keep you full too.

IF you plan to enter the Sierras on a low snow yr or later you'll get less snow travel and likely higher MPD aves.

Here. Let's see if we can help you a bit further. I like the Swiss anyway. Look at the required pink areas where you are legally required to store your food when it's ever away from you in a canister, OR BEAR BOX, or BEAR BOX (Safe Storage facilities at an established campground(VVR, MTR, Reds Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, etc): http://sierrawild.gov/bears/how-pack-bear-can. ZOOM IN to see the exact locations of Bear Boxes on the PCT/JMT. Bear Box locations have nearby campsites!

You're representing 11 days food needed for the KM to VVR 174 mile stretch maybe give or take a few miles. You're anticipating something like 15-16 MPD avg if my math is correct. You are not legally required to carry a canister and store all your food in it OR A BEAR BOX until Cottonwood Pass Tr/Near Chicken Spring Lake which is around 45 PCT miles north of KM. Meaning 2-3 days of food will be gone at your daily mileage by the time you legally need a canister. SO, no absolute LEGAL REQUIREMENT to jam 11 days into a BV 500 when leaving KM with your resupply!

CONSIDER, most folks can get 7 days of chow into a BV500. But, several of us have told you how to possibly get 8-9 days in a BV 500. When you leave KM in the morn eat a good b'fast on site so no need to carry one additional b'fast. Leave KM storing what you can in the BV 500. Store the rest of your food in odor proof OpSacks. https://www.rei.com/product/758707/l...-bags-20-x-125 I'd strongly reinforce STILL learning and applying safe food bear storage in the areas you aren't required to store all odorous items in a bear canister!

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/Miletable.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/Miletable.html

So now you're at Cottonwood Pass with 8-9 days of food. Looking easier isn't it? If you can get 7-8 days of food in the BV500 from Cottonwood Pass to VVR you're legally good! You can leave a days food outside of a bear can but ALWAYS keeping it in your intimate possession. Consequently, if you're still concerned about food storage at night NOTE the Bear Box Locations(Zoom IN!) and camp there for if only one night until you can get all your remaining food into the BV500. It's my guess, although I have no idea of all the mileages between known Bear Box locations, at your anticipated daily mileage hiking avg you'll be in the area of on site Bear Boxes for 2-4 nights after Cottonwood pass so you can store your food legally in them if you camp at these locations. Note: Bear Boxes at Crabtree Meadow too but for whatever reason not listed on the map. I use them on PCT hikes to store food and gear doing the side summitting trip of Mt Whitney, the tallest mountain in the Lower Continental U.S. submitting with a fast and light load. If you have never done it you should strongly consider it!

As as side suggestion take 3/4-1 full day extra chow for the RT summiting of MT W as a side trip to a PCT thru-hike.

Have a GREAT hike.

Guess Reis

Images

...or just plan to hike out over the spectacular Kearsarge Pass to Independence. I had no trouble yogi-ing a ride from the Onion Valley Trailhead. From Independence you can get a bus to excellent resupply in Bishop and, while there, hit up the bakery for some pastries.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    ...or just plan to hike out over the spectacular Kearsarge Pass to Independence. I had no trouble yogi-ing a ride from the Onion Valley Trailhead. From Independence you can get a bus to excellent resupply in Bishop and, while there, hit up the bakery for some pastries.
    I don't know who started the trend of hiking all the way from kennedy to vvr without resupply, but its just plain dumb. There are numerous beautiful passes that allow a hiker to carry several days of food and not be all masochistic and carry a ten million pound pack. This is the BEST PART of the entire PCT. It does not get any better than mile 750 to 900. Dont make it suck by carrying a heavy pack, running out of food, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    I don't know who started the trend of hiking all the way from kennedy to vvr without resupply, but its just plain dumb. There are numerous beautiful passes that allow a hiker to carry several days of food and not be all masochistic and carry a ten million pound pack. This is the BEST PART of the entire PCT. It does not get any better than mile 750 to 900. Dont make it suck by carrying a heavy pack, running out of food, etc.
    Dumb for you but very enjoyable for many. Agree, it is the best part, why compromise it with a town stop.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    Sasquatch, Fuf has started at least one previous thread on this question. Handlebar's option was given and discussed already in one of those threads but Fuf chose to, what it seems like, continue seeking options.

Thanks for all your help. Especially Dogwood’s post was very, very helpful

Yes, why not hike longer hours and increase my daily mileage? Good question, because there is nothing else to do than hike, hike, hike
    According to Craig’s PCT planner, I should be able to hike this section in 9.5days, let’s say in 10days.

Ok…10days
    - minus 1 day (food for day 1, to be carried outside the bear can)
    - minus 2,5days (KM to Cottonwood Pass, I’m not legally required to carry my food in a bear can. I will use OpSacks.)
    = 6.5days left, which is great!

I am on my third hike of the PCT (1 thru, 2 section). I have hiked the JMT/PCT section three times now, all three with different re-supply locations. I have used Kearsarge Pass, Muir Trail Ranch and also KM to VVR (w/Whitney).

I had wonderful experiences each time. But I have to say the KM to VVR adventure going up Whitney, dealing with the snow challenge, and yes running out of food on the last day was some of my favorite memories. I was in great shape, I was well prepared and equipped. I had even planned on running out of food and the effect on my body prior to the trip.

No no real opinion or sage advice here. Just know that what ever option you take, how ever you re-supply.....have fun, be safe and make it your own adventure!

++ New Posts ++