WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Sorry for another post but your comment about putting another sign downhill at Whiteoak would be very helpful. There were small red flags at one of the gaps ( Whiteoak maybe) laid down the trail but someone had pulled most of them up.
    Those flags may have marked areas of trail needing work by trail crews. It's not uncommon for scheduled trail work of the DRT to be cancelled due to weather conditions and the flags have remained.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

The point being that if you want to experience the DRT in all its soon to be legendary rugged glory then plan to go soon.

well......

if it's forest land, and not private land, wouldnt one still be able to hike the "original" trail?

it would kinda be like hiking a manway in the Park, or a unmaintained one on forest land.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    well......

if it's forest land, and not private land, wouldnt one still be able to hike the "original" trail?

it would kinda be like hiking a manway in the Park, or a unmaintained one on forest land.......
    True. The old treadway will be very easy to locate from anywhere along the relo: Just walk uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    True. The old treadway will be very easy to locate from anywhere along the relo: Just walk uphill.
    LOL, so true! At least for now, if you aren't going straight up a hill or straight down, you are probably lost :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post

BTW thank you for all the work you do on the DRT Dances with mice. It is expertly maintained equally or better than the AT
    +1 on that. DWM, you are a DRT treasure, and much appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    +1 on that. DWM, you are a DRT treasure, and much appreciated.
    I am not the only maintainer of the DRT, even on W-B. And I only maintain a small portion of the Trail.

Excuse my rambling....

The water sources are near and dear to my heart - when I first hiked the trail 15'ish years ago the only trail guide was Homan's "Hiking Trails of North Georgia". It says along the Duncan Ridge Road that trails lead across the road to water at several of the gaps - no problem. I almost died of thirst looking for those trails!

So I came back later and checked out almost every one of those gaps and found two - Whiteoak Stomp and one other that has since been obliterated by road work and the approach covered by blackberries. I also scouted out the water source at Mulky since Coopers Creek runs from that direction. I found the source of Coopers Creek, a spring which is down the gated road and an off to the right bushwhack, but somebody else spotted a much better source at the pasture with the hunting blind.

I like the DRT. I've scared up (and been scared by) giant flocks of wild turkeys, howled at coyotes, chased rattlesnakes out of the way, almost got run over by a big whitetail buck one time when neither of us was watching the trail or expecting anything else to be on it, had a black bear cub tumble out of the brush in front of me, and been turned back by wild hogs. The trail is mostly soft rather than worn down to bedrock, and in spring parts of the trail are even carpeted with wildflowers. The trail runs through a couple patches of ladyslipper orchids. It is so close, but so different, than the AT.

I like hearing from people that have experienced it. A hip problem which lead to a total hip replacement limited my hiking and backpacking for a few years but this year I'm determined to become reacquainted with it.

Journal Entries

Thanks for your efforts DWM! It reminded me that sometimes...you're actually walking on grass on the DRT! That's always nice sensation. I may be in the area this weekend...Best.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Thanks for your efforts DWM! It reminded me that sometimes...you're actually walking on grass on the DRT! That's always nice sensation. I may be in the area this weekend...Best.
    Yeah the DRT is "wilder" than most of the Georgia trails through designated Wilderness Areas. Even most of the trails through the Cohuttas get more foot traffic. Many miles of the Benton Mac in Georgia are very similar to the DRT.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with another W-B member who had just returned from out West. He was lamenting how so few people ever saw some of the amazing places he visited because they located 5 miles or more from a road.

I said that was great! It meant that those places were only being visited by people who would really appreciate those places. And the DRT is kind of like that - to my way of thinking, it just attracts the right people.

Planning a weeklong backpacking trip with my Scouts in late September and need some advice on water sources and campsites on our route. Our plan is to start at Vogel State Park, take the Coosa Backcountry Trail over to Slaughter Gap and eventually hook up with the DRT. We’ll go across the ridge, link up with the Benton MacKaye and then the AT and return to Vogel. Wondering about water sources as well as campsites along the DRT ridge. I’ve read about water at Wolfpen, Whiteoak, Mulky and Sarvis. Wondering about next water after Sarvis heading west. Also need suggestions for campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis. Then, what are the best campsite and water locations once we pass the DRT/BMT junction and before we get down to the AT at the Long Creek/Three Forks area. Once we get to Long Creek and the AT we’ll be fine but REALLY need help with suggestions for the DRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    As a side note the relo project has NOT been tasked to the GATC. I'm assuming, so take it for what it's worth, that the relo would be machine built similar to the relo done several years ago west of Wolfpen Gap and on the DRT/BMT around Licklog Mtn.
    The nice thing about machines like the dingo is that you can get right to the hard pack quickly. The bad thing, of course, is you initially cut a wider swath than desirable. However, time will cure that ill in that with a foot-only trail that bed will get worn and nature will reclaim the sides based on the traffic. I can understand the sustainability aspects, though. Fall-line trail is harder to maintain as run-off continually erodes it.

How many Scouts? Tents, hammocks, or a mix? How many miles per day do you want to cover?

While I encourage the trip, do be aware that the DRT is tough. Carry plenty of water, and you may need more breaks than you would on the AT.

If I am reading your post correctly, you all will basically be hiking the 60 mile Georgia Loop. The Duncan Ridge Trail is according to some the toughest trail east of the Mississippi River. I hiked the Loop last April and the DR portion was brutal. You might consider hiking south on the AT first, north on the Benton Mackaye trail to Rhodes mountain where it links with the Duncan Ridge Trail then back east to Vogel.

The 18 miles of the Duncan Ridge Trail from Rhodes mountain is incredibly challenging. You all can bail at Rhodes if you have had enough.

To start at Vogel and do the Duncan ridge trail first will wipe you out.

Just my two cents worth. I hope you all make the whole Loop.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 08-16-2016 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailDogJohn View Post
    Planning a weeklong backpacking trip with my Scouts in late September and need some advice on water sources and campsites on our route. Our plan is to start at Vogel State Park, take the Coosa Backcountry Trail over to Slaughter Gap and eventually hook up with the DRT. We’ll go across the ridge, link up with the Benton MacKaye and then the AT and return to Vogel. Wondering about water sources as well as campsites along the DRT ridge. I’ve read about water at Wolfpen, Whiteoak, Mulky and Sarvis. Wondering about next water after Sarvis heading west. Also need suggestions for campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis. Then, what are the best campsite and water locations once we pass the DRT/BMT junction and before we get down to the AT at the Long Creek/Three Forks area. Once we get to Long Creek and the AT we’ll be fine but REALLY need help with suggestions for the DRT.
    I think the next water after Sarvis (hiking east to west) is after the BMT junction. Follow the BMT downhill to the gap, and there's a spring on the right. According to the Homan guide, it would be about 0.7 miles from the junction. This is the only water between Sarvis and GA 60, as far as I know. BTW, when you get to GA 60, DO NOT drink from the creek where the bridge crosses. Free range chickens reside just upstream. Instead, cross the road, and about a quarter mile along the trail will be a small stream.

The best campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis depends on your group size, equipment, and mile per day goals. Of course, the places with water are good to plan around, although personally I don't care to camp at Mulky. In between White Oak Stomp and Buckeye Gap, there are a couple smallish sites with fire rings and room for maybe a couple tents. Just east of Mulky, an old service road intersects the trail, and there is (or was) a fire ring there, and the roadway has some level spots for tents. Between Mulky and Sarvis, the only reasonably open spot is Fish Gap. It's not the prettiest spot, but it has plenty of room. Avoid camping in the middle of the open area, though, as it is used for parking. An old road leads off from either side, though, with some good spots.

From the DRT/BMT junction to Three Forks: there is a campsite at the top of Wallalah Mountain, but it's quite exposed if there's any weather, and no water nearby. By far the prettiest spot is on the banks of the Toccoa River, by the swinging bridge. It gets crowded on weekends, but there are multiple sites so you have a good chance if you get there during the week or earlier in the day. Also, do not drink from the river, but there is a creek by the bridge that feeds into the river where you can get water. On a side note, just before you get to the river, there's a good spot for some souvenir photos. Trail maintainers repurposed a massive stump, turning it into a "throne", or large chair - makes a pretty cool shot, especially for youngsters..

Past the river, I think Bryson Gap is the next decent campsite. After that, you might be tempted by the large open area (about 3.5 miles past Bryson Gap). Don't camp there, although you might be OK at the very edges. This spot is used for helicopter landings by Army Rangers, even at night. However, there's a spot just a half-mile further I much prefer, on the banks of a lovely stream. Probably won't hold more than a couple tents, though.

We may alter our plan and start at Springer or Three Forks and hike the AT to BMT/DRT then split and then take the DRT to Slaughter Gap and then the AT back to Springer. That way on the DRT we're hiking toward water sources instead of away from them by heading east and that may eliminate having to carry loads of water every day.

I am doing theGeorgia Loop Trail over the Labor Day weekend and would like a secure place to parkmy vehicle. Can anyone make a recommendation? I had thought that Skeenah CreekCampground, 20 Skeenah Gap Rd. Suches, GA would be a great place and allow me to gocounterclockwise and do the DRT last.

I parked my car at Neel's Gap at the Byron Reese parking lot when I did the Loop last April.

I then hiked up to the AT at Flatrock Gap and went south over Blood Mountain to the DRT starting point.

I hiked over Slaughter Mountain heading west on the DRT to the BMT. South on the BMT and then north on the AT back to my car.

You will have to climb Blood Mountain twice unless you take the Freeman Trail around Blood and it adds 5 miles to the Georgia Loop.

You could obviously do it the opposite way if you wanted to do the DRT last. I recommend doing the DRT first as it will kick your a$%.

But I really enjoyed the challenge of Blood Mountain at the start and finish. Have a great time. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 08-30-2016 at 21:56.

Default Water Sources On The Duncan Ridge Trail

Not sure that I would agree about the Freeman adding 5 miles since it replaces a similar amount of miles going over Blood.

I suggest taking the Freeman southbound near the start of the hike and then going over Blood on the return hike nobo on the AT. Climbing Blood from south to North has always seemed easier and far more enjoyable to me.

Freeman trail does not add mileage. It is the hike over Blood mountain twice and the hike down to the Byron Reese parking area where I began my hike. That extra adds about 5 miles to the Georgia Loop.

Default Water Sources On The Duncan Ridge Trail

Ah, I mis-read that, sorry. I do like the Freeman as a sobo bypass to Blood, especially on the weekends when the trail is packed with day hikers.

Just back from hiking the GA Loop from Springer going west to east/clockwise. Not much water anywhere. Small trickles at Bryson Gap. Take water trail to left/west and look for small flow. Better flow on water trail to the right. Take trail until it runs into old logging road, look for orange surveyors tape on small tree, turn left and go downhill to a decent source. Trail to east leads to water too way downhill past 2 campsites. No watere at White Oak Stamp = had a shuttler bring water to us. Good water at Wolfpen Gap alongside the road downhill to south/east. Good water on AT below Woody Gap. Signs warning no water north on AT from Woody until you get to Neel Gap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++