WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It might help if you would read this first. http://www.footvitals.com/skin/blisters.html Go down the list of possible causes on the list since you did say, "...I've no earthly idea what could've changed to cause this. As such, I've just bought a new pair of boots and I'm looking at some new socks." which seems you are implying that your old shoes and/or socks might be the cause of the blisters. It very well might not be the old shoes and socks that are the cause. It might not be a gear issue! It could be your usage or, as said, something else or some combination of causes.

I would ask if you've been hiking in wet shoes recently which can be the cause of blisters? Were your old shoes really worn in that they offered a sloppy loose fit that created undue rubbing or friction as the shoe moved around which might not have been a significant issue until you started walking more as you have? If so, a silk liner can decrease the rubbing or friction so I think you seeking a solution that way could work. However, I would test that solution out by wearing the silk socks/merino socks combination with THE OLD SHOES to see if that's indeed the problem. If you still get blisters in the old shoes with the same old merino sock model and new silk liner socks it's not likely the liner sock that is the problem or the entire problem or solution! Seeking to pinpoint and rectify the blister issue is better done on a point by point basis as you go down the list of possible causes eliminating each cause one at a time rather than changing up two possible causes, the shoes/shoe fit or socks/liner socks, at the same time.

Also, have your feet been perspiring a lot? That's a cause of hot spots/blisters which can be further aggravated with less breathable footwear such as new leather boots. You never mentioned what your new "boot' choice were. I find this possibly ironic since again you're implying that maybe it's the old shoes that are causing the blisters and you're attempting to address it by switching to a possible less/low breathable "boot?" Going forward into the warmer weather I find that increasingly problematic if you do have perspiration or wicking issues possibly adding, not avoiding blisters, due to a less breathable system on your feet. This is why I said in my first post to consider a wider perspective than just blisters being a sock issue alone.

IMO, an anti blister sock or sock liner, all good on their own, doesn't function or exist on its own. Sure, a sock that is designed with flat seams or less/fewer seams in common blister prone areas and made of wicking and smooth materials(like silk) could be great but if that moisture isn't vented from the sock liner/sock combination into and through an adequately breathable hiking shoe/trail runner it still leaves you with potentially sweaty blister prone feet especially into the warmer season!

The moisture retention of duct tape is a major enemy that helps cause blisters. I'll be very interested in trying climbing tape. I have Leukotape and this foamy stuff. I'm willing to try bag balm with gold bond on top of that.
    Wash your feet well every evening, maybe more. Clean skin promotes healing. Prevention is best. I was an Rn and have done some really nasty wound care in my time. Clean broken skin with filtered water. Dakin's solution, used to clean wounds is like 1 part bleach to 10-20 parts water, be careful with that on broken skin. Mostly be careful with your feet. Think and take care.
    If I could I'ld do that Spock thing with my toes!!

Good fitting shoes or boots plus dry feet is, from my research, the best way to ensure lack of blisters.

I tried on 6 or 7 pairs of boots when I bought mine, asking for boots with wide toe boxes - also asking not to be shown the price. I ended up with a pair that only cost $120, Keen Targhee 2 Mid.
    That outfitter also suggested I get a couple pair of Darn Tough socks. Lifetime warranty. Ok, why not.

First hike, 12 miles on flatland in FL on a warm day, I soaked the leather from the inside out, pulled off boots and socks and my feet were pruned... Yeah, I turn foot powder into foot paste which would just clog the socks, reducing or eliminating their ability to wick moisture away - so I don't use foot powder on my feet.

I googled to find a solution to my sweaty feet.
    Prior to a week long section hike, I spray my feet every day with antiperspirant spray (Aarid XXDry) for a week or more. It has a lasting effect, keeping my feet dry for about 5 days of that week on the trail.
    The blog said that Army Rangers use it prior to long hikes... I've shared this tip with lots of others, but no former Army have ever heard of it. Shrug.
    It works for me.

350 + miles on trails, not a single blister.

Images

Wrightsock "2 layer sock" technolgy mentioned in this thread are available at mile 21 NOBO (Woody Gap Outfitters - www.WoodyGapOutfitters.com) and mile 70 NOBO (Top of Georgia Outfitters - www.TopOfGeorgiaHostel.com

Last Saturday, I ran 50 miles in snow, rain, mud, and river crossings. I wore Injinji merino toe socks. Changed them half way to a dry pair. I got one blister... only because when I changed my socks I inadvertently put two toes on one toe hole! 😁😁😁

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++