WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

OP, in your quest to live on-the-edge...take risks...be extreme...have you actually fallen into a mundane lifestyle? You're sedentary and out of shape. It may be all or nothing for you, and it seems that you normally choose nothing.

If you did the more mundane things such as training, eating healthy, etc., would you more likely succeed at the extreme, unconventional adventures that you seem to crave?

Not criticism, just an observation.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by equazcion View Post
    If I end up hating it and quit, not much will have been lost, except maybe a little money and pride.
    Yep, that what most people do. They think a Thru is going to be some great adventure and don't consider the work, pain, time, effort and expense involved and quit when they see what it's really all about. A substantial number quit before they get out of Georgia.

I know a guy who runs full marathons regularly. He decided he was going to hike the AT in 2012 and even when so far as to arrange for other people to cover his job for 5 months while he was away. He didn't get out of Georgia.

Physical preparation will only get you so far. Most of it's mental. (See my previous post)
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

It's merely that I find your way disheartening.
    That's the part I don't quite get. You say that you do a lot of day hiking on easy-to-moderate trails, and a fair amount of car camping. But throwing some gear in a backpack and extending one of those day trips to an overnighter or weekend or walking away from the car campsite would make it disheartening? Is there anything that might make it enjoyable?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    A lot of people do it that way. A fair number even finish.

You're setting yourself up for a pretty miserable few weeks, because you'll be doing strenuous uphill hikes all day long. (Or killing your knees on strenuous downhill ones, which is even worse in my estimation.) You're also at higher risk for injury, particularly if you succumb to the social pressure to keep up with whatever group you fall in with. But a lot of people do it the way you propose, and do all right.

The other thing, which a lot of people underestimate as an important factor, is that you don't even know yet whether you actually enjoy backpacking. That's the one thing about this question that totally baffles me: why would you commit to doing something for six months when you haven't even tried it to see if you like it? Something like a quarter of thrus quit in Georgia. Most of them quit because they discover that the hike is nothing like what they expected. Why make all the arrangements to walk away from your life for six months without knowing whether it'll be any fun?

You're in New York City, so you're in a good position to try a backpacking trip. Pack up your gear, hop on the Metro-North to Suffern, Tuxedo or Harriman, and spend a couple or three nights on a loop hike around Harriman State Park. There are two hundred miles of trails in there, so you have a lot to choose from. The difficulty is pretty typical of what you'll encounter on most of the AT - not as easy as Maryland, not as hard as New Hampshire. And you're always close to a bailout point if something goes wrong. You can even decide to stay off the AT in the park, if you want the whole of the trail to be a new experience.

Of course, this perspective is why I'm a clueless weekender. (Slightly more than that, I do the occasional section hike. The longest hike I've attempted was 138 miles.) I've found through experience that after a long weekend, or a short vacation, I'm ready to move on to other things for a while. Thru-hiking doesn't appeal as much. I get the impression that for me it would be a lot of worry -I've never been in a position to walk away from my responsibilities for six months, and I have enough family and community ties that I hope I never do get the opportunity, because it would mean that some sort of disaster has happened in the rest of my life. So I get out and enjoy myself for anything from a quick peak-bag to a two-week section (with low mileage, because I never really find my "trail legs"), and I like it that way.

This is a thoughtful and actually brilliant response to your question, OP. Please read this at least a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    25% quit before they get out of GA. Hundreds per year. All thought they prepared well enough.
    Unfortunately very few of those (close to zero) ever come back to Whiteblaze and give a trip report.

It might provide a more realistic view of expectations versus reality.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Unfortunately very few of those (close to zero) ever come back to Whiteblaze and give a trip report.

It might provide a more realistic view of expectations versus reality.
    Exactly. How's that saying? Success has a thousand fathers. Failure is an orphan.

Images

This is probably one of the more interesting threads in a while. I can somewhat relate to the OP as far as not accepting the current status quo as a roadmap to follow. In my non-hiking life my job is to blow up the status quo and drive disruptive change. But I am still stuck on how going out to hike for a weekend is mundane when he clearly states that his enjoyment of day hiking is what driving the desire for a thru hike. If a weekend is mundane then a thruhike would have to be torture. There are moments of pure bliss connected with hours of mundane walking.

Sounds like we're starting to get the naysayers. So I'll say now thanks for the other helpful positive thoughts, especially from Another Kevin -- you gave me some good points to think about!
    you started out saying "I'm new here, hoping for a bit of advice". then you get advice and don't like some of it. maybe what you should have asked for is encouragement...

Interesting thread.

I'm sure the OP is aware of this, but one of the mottos of the AT is "Hike your own hike".

I think most subscribe to this view.

So, you should do it the way you want.

In my view, having some miles in your legs before you start makes everything much more enjoyable. And this is my goal: enjoyment.

I'm doing a lot of reading on packing light and gear research.
    So, why not think about getting some walking in beforehand? It's fun to read about gear; it's also cool to walk around Central Park. Both will help you enjoy your AT hike.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

...It depends on what a particular person's mental blocks are when it comes to exercise, eg. starting a running regimen. For me, in short: 5 minutes of "reps" or running city blocks feels like an eternity to me, whereas hiking in the woods flies by. One is regimented, controlled, flat, measured, goal-oriented, gray and concrete. The other is air, nature, life, brown, green, changing, and looking, just for the sake of being there. Maybe some people instead think of the Appalachian Trail as merit badge, a physical test they want to pass; just like a long run, but with a name. Less so for me.

Before there were gyms, people's bodies were usually trained incidentally due to their daily work activities. Bodies are designed to do that. Today we're used to the idea of working out first before actually doing things. Really we're tricking our bodies into thinking we're already doing those things, but from a controlled environment, so we're already adjusted beforehand. Not a bad idea, and maybe the easier route for some. Not for all.

Some people seem befuddled as to how there's any difference between hiking and "working out", and if you couldn't get yourself to do the one, it doesn't make sense you'd want to do the other. For some of us though, the difference is night and day....
    There's a reason there are gyms today, because people generally don't have work activities that exercises the body. Working out is NOT tricking the body.

The problem with using the trail as one's only form of exercise is that you can go very long periods of time without exercising. The body evolved to always be active, so an occasional hike here and there is not sufficient, not to mention that hiking doesn't address other aspects of the body...but I'll stay off the issue of working out, since I've talked enough about this issue in other threads/posts....If you're interested look here, one of many threads on the issue of exercise>>> http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...ing-one-can-do

On the issue of mental blocks. You are the primary controller of your mental outlook; sure external factors do have an effect, but those factors are not overriding of your mental outlook, or at least shouldn’t override your efforts. If you can't motivate yourself to exercise, than you really need to think how you look at life.

P.S.Exercise is just a word that means one is maintaining/improving bodily health – that should be a clue to controlling your attitude towards exercise, regardless of where you exercise.

I started reading "Appalachian Trials". Maybe the OP will find it useful.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    you started out saying "I'm new here, hoping for a bit of advice". then you get advice and don't like some of it. maybe what you should have asked for is encouragement...
    Most people who ask for pack shakedowns, inquiring if they are ready or not, if they have enough funds for a hike, etc aren't really looking for advice.

They are looking for validation.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Most people who ask for pack shakedowns, inquiring if they are ready or not, if they have enough funds for a hike, etc aren't really looking for advice.

They are looking for validation.
    Uhm, yeah.

I've never asked for a pack shakedown, and the last time I had one inflicted on me was when I was still a boy scout. My pack sees enough bumping and shaking as it is. If I had someone like twistwrist look over my gear, I know exactly what she'd tell me to leave behind. And I'd ignore her. She doesn't have to carry it. I've shared approximate gear lists in the past. They always end with, "and a couple of pounds of none of your business."

I'm not ready to thru hike, and probably never will be, as I discussed above. But I'm confident that I'd make it out of Georgia - because I've done hikes that long and similarly challenging.

I have enough money for the hiking that I aspire to do. I'm not quite to where I can just tell my boss, "(expletive deleted) you, I'm retiring," but, God willing, I can count the years without taking my boots off. It's one of a very few advantages of being an old (expletive deleted).

And, as far as validation goes, I'm a little humbled that there were TWO threads today where you jumped in to agree with me. I'm happy to expound from my clueless-weekender perspective, but I always half-expect the Real Hikers to slap me down.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    But I am still stuck on how going out to hike for a weekend is mundane when he clearly states that his enjoyment of day hiking is what driving the desire for a thru hike. If a weekend is mundane then a thruhike would have to be torture.
    That's the part I don't quite get. You say that you do a lot of day hiking on easy-to-moderate trails, and a fair amount of car camping. But throwing some gear in a backpack and extending one of those day trips to an overnighter or weekend or walking away from the car campsite would make it disheartening? Is there anything that might make it enjoyable?
    Yes there is -- other people. If a bunch of people said hey come backpacking for a week I'd be there with bells on. Unfortunately these days I don't know too many people who would do these things. One of the draws of the Trail for me is all the people and group-hopping I've been reading about. (...and before anyone states the obvious I know there are ways to find people online to hike with, given that a cursory shot but hasn't worked out for one reason or another)

Yes there is -- other people. If a bunch of people said hey come backpacking for a week I'd be there with bells on. Unfortunately these days I don't know too many people who would do these things. One of the draws of the Trail for me is all the people and group-hopping I've been reading about. (...and before anyone states the obvious I know there are ways to find people online to hike with, given that a cursory shot but hasn't worked out for one reason or another)
    I don't have anyone to hike with right now so I have to make myself get out for training hikes on the weekends. It sucks and I wish I had someone to hike with right now, but I don't, and I don't want to start my thru completely out of shape. I love hiking enough that I don't have to have a companion on the trail.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    If you did the more mundane things such as training, eating healthy, etc., would you more likely succeed at the extreme, unconventional adventures that you seem to crave?
    I actually eat pretty reasonably. As I said the original post, I'm not obese. I haven't been sitting on the couch eating potato chips and hot dogs. My junk intake is minimal. I'm just not active on any kind of regular basis. Yes, if I did train I'd be more likely to succeed ... but you'll have to read the rest of the thread where I've answered this question extensively and repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Most people who ask for pack shakedowns, inquiring if they are ready or not, if they have enough funds for a hike, etc aren't really looking for advice. They are looking for validation.
    I wasn't looking for validation. The question was whether out-of-shape people do this or universally end up regretting it. Saying that such people are 100% doomed would've been a fine answer and I would have appreciated the warning. I also appreciate being warned that disregarding training beforehand means a harder experience. But once I've said, "Alright, I know, but the training thing isn't for me" (as I basically stated right from the original post), there's nothing wrong with, you know, dropping it... instead of brow-beating me with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Working out is NOT tricking the body.
    Sure it is. The mechanism by which your muscles rebuild stronger after being torn down is its adaptability to the environment it needs to survive in. Working out is creating an artificially difficult environment, to make our bodies stronger than they actually need to be for survival.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I

I wasn't looking for validation.

I politely disagree.

but I always half-expect the Real Hikers to slap me down.
    I spent a three day weekend car camping in a remote canyon in New Mexico. And enjoying it. I am not sure how much of a real hiker I may be....
    Last edited by Mags; 04-04-2016 at 20:50.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I actually eat pretty reasonably. As I said the original post, I'm not obese. I haven't been sitting on the couch eating potato chips and hot dogs. My junk intake is minimal. I'm just not active on any kind of regular basis. Yes, if I did train I'd be more likely to succeed ... but you'll have to read the rest of the thread where I've answered this question extensively and repeatedly.
    I had to re-read your first post to catch the "not obese" comment. When people read "out-of-shape" the first image which pops into the mind is that of a pear.

People who live in the city tend to walk a lot. If it's less then 5 blocks or so it's quicker to walk. And really, that's your best prep. Just walk as much as possible. Skip the cab or subway. While your at it, use the stairs instead of the elevator as much as possible. Doing this starts to condition you without any real thought or going out of your way to do it. Heck, you got a nice park to walk around right in the middle of the city.

And it's well worth the effort. Even if you just start doing all this walking a few weeks or a month before you hit the trail, it will pay off big dividends. The first two weeks of the hike are the most critical. The first couple hundred miles of the AT is littered with dashed hopes and dreams. If you get through the first two or three weeks with out beating yourself up too much or getting injured, you got a good chance of going much farther, maybe even to the end. Doing a lot of walking pre-hike is the key.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool

Working out is NOT tricking the body.
    Sure it is. The mechanism by which your muscles rebuild stronger after being torn down is its adaptability to the environment it needs to survive in. Working out is creating an artificially difficult environment, to make our bodies stronger than they actually need to be for survival.

OK, I see your problem...tunnel vision.

It would take too much time (because I would have to start from scratch) to show how wrong your view point is. So I'll just leave you with this article that proves exercise is still the best medicine for the body, but my guess is that you won't even read it, but hopefully someone does.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/stayin...-best-medicine

Excerpt:

Changing your body’s function

“It changes the whole notion of exercise, from the idea of pushing yourself to your limits, to the concept of doing anything that moves your body. The endpoint is not to make your muscles bigger, but to really change the way your body functions,” says Dr. Forman.

Yeah, this is a terrific post!

OP, you remind me of my hiking partner on the JMT last year. He insisted on tagging along on my adventure. Really out of shape, never done a backpacking trip but loved to hike. I tried to talk him out of it, but Fear of Missing Out got him.

He did great, and we were well-prepared equipment-wise. We didn't try to tackle too much every day, but took out time (on the John Muir Trail, you want to take your time and not rush it, it's so beautiful).

But we learned two things (actually, you'll learn so much, but as it pertains to this conversation: if you're not in shape, you might not strain yourself into injury, but the possibility of getting sick on the trail is also real. In your case, you have easier access to bail-outs on the AT. My partner came down with strep and tonsilitis, and we had to bail before Mt. Whitney. Sad face. He was in poor shape, and it took its toll eventually in the form of illness. It took us three days to come off the trail and into civilization. On the AT, you'll have an easier time of getting off the trail.

Second, I did not necessarily appreciate the day-after-day of being away from civilization and sleeping in a tent. That part was not so simple for me, and I LOVE being in the outdoors. I keep a website about Harriman State Park in NY (also on the AT). I spend at least one night every month out under the stars. But being able to do that over and over and over again is challenging to some (me included). But you'll see, and your experience will differ from mine and everybody else's, and the only way to find this out is to go for it, either on a longer (say, five day) backpack trip, or the whole enchilada.

Having admitted to these setbacks, I speak for myself and for my partner: we had the trip of a lifetime. Unforgettable. Epic in every way. And the opportunity to say that doesn't come along that often. So my overarching advice to you is, Plan it and Do it, and don't beat yourself up if you have to come off the trail. That part is not what will define your trip. Why should it?

Good luck, and Go For It! (My partner's trail name might have been Fear of Missing Out, but mine was You Only Live Once!)
    JMT_class2.jpg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++