Journal Entries
    Images

Default Why not put a bear box at Harts Pass intersection?

I would assume the has PCT talked about doing this? If they have, why not do it? This wld make the logistic so much easier for nobos & especially for sobos starting out since I hear many stash food in the woods there anyway? They could put the box a 1/2 mile from the road on either side. Does this make sense? Just a thought................
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I'm assuming by PCT, you mean the PCTA? Anyway, it's not really the job of the PCTA to find places for hikers to store food. If you can't carry enough food to hike from Harts Pass to the border and back to Stehekin, maybe you should find another trail to hike. Take some responsibility.

Images

The only ones that would benefit would be SoBoers who leave a resupply and walk back from the border. IN reality, it's only 110 or so miles from Harts to the border to Stehekin. That is a very typical resupply on the PCT and exactly the same distance as hiking from Campo to Warner Springs. The only difference that makes this somewhat interesting is the fact that many SoBoers will have massive snow starting out. THat would stretch that 110 miles by a couple of days, still not much difference than many of the 140-150 mile carries that are done on the PCT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I'm assuming by PCT, you mean the PCTA? Anyway, it's not really the job of the PCTA to find places for hikers to store food. If you can't carry enough food to hike from Harts Pass to the border and back to Stehekin, maybe you should find another trail to hike. Take some responsibility.
    \
    Not sure what responsibility has to do with a question?? I hope I can be as special as you some day!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    The only ones that would benefit would be SoBoers who leave a resupply and walk back from the border. IN reality, it's only 110 or so miles from Harts to the border to Stehekin. That is a very typical resupply on the PCT and exactly the same distance as hiking from Campo to Warner Springs. The only difference that makes this somewhat interesting is the fact that many SoBoers will have massive snow starting out. THat would stretch that 110 miles by a couple of days, still not much difference than many of the 140-150 mile carries that are done on the PCT.
    That's what I was thinking after watching the snow this year. Starting out carrying 7-9 days of food if you start hiking 10-12 miles a day is what no one really wants to do. I'm thinking of grabbing a hitch from Harts to town if needed. It was just a thought. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    That's what I was thinking after watching the snow this year. Starting out carrying 7-9 days of food if you start hiking 10-12 miles a day is what no one really wants to do. I'm thinking of grabbing a hitch from Harts to town if needed. It was just a thought. Thanks
    harts Pass is literally in the middle of knowwhere. I was lucky to have a ride arranged coming up Harts. I would never plan to hitch off and back, Rainy would be a better option for that but Stehekin is only a day or so away. One other thing to check, is the road going to be open to Harts Pass when you start. DId I mention it is in the middle of nowhere?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

You're going to run into trouble right away if you start out planning to do 10-12 mile days on the PCT. The resupply points in Washington are around 100 miles apart. Even if you stash food at Hart's pass, Stehekin to Skykomish is 100 miles. I wouldn't think of starting a SOBO unless I was comfortable close to 20 (at least in snow-free terrain) right out of the gate.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just echoing what everyone else has said. If you're looking at 10-12 miles days it's going to be difficult. Those hundred mile stretches in the Cascades are pretty remote.

Having said that, I was through Hart's Pass in the 2nd week of August and there was a ton of people there.

You could probably find some hiker trash/trail angel to meet you and give you food if you bribe them with party favors.

I would assume the has PCT talked about doing this? If they have, why not do it? This wld make the logistic so much easier for nobos & especially for sobos starting out since I hear many stash food in the woods there anyway? They could put the box a 1/2 mile from the road on either side. Does this make sense? Just a thought................
    I don't know about the veracity of "many stashing food at Harts Pass???" I suppose this has to do with the growing PCT Thru Hikers who want to hike the PCT into Canada but can't for legal reasons or are intimidated by the legal entry process?

Isn't Harts Pass in Pasayten Wilderness... a nationally designated wilderness area? Let not human centricity forget what this entails:

"Wilderness is defined by the Wilderness Act of 1964 as “an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain…Federal land retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation, which is protected and managed so as to preserve its natural conditions and which (1) generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of man’s work substantially unnoticeable; (2) has outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation; (3) has at least five thousand acres of land or is of sufficient size as to make practicable its preservation and use in an unimpaired condition; and (4) may also contain ecological, geological, or other features of scientific, educational, scenic, or historical value.”

MAYBE, that has something to do with it?>

LOL. Burger was brusque, more so then I can be, but he's right in a way. The AT has become so ridiculously over the top easy logistically in many ways. It's a hiking trail of vast convenience. That's good on many levels yet causes problems in other ways such as demands that every hike has to live up to the convenience standards of a AT hike. AT hikers are coddled IMHO. Hopefully the PCT, JMT, CDT, BMT, etc never becomes a carbon copy of the AT in how it's hiked and how the outdoor community perceives it. Let each trail stand on its own merits.

I don't know if any of this applies to you're question WOB but I'm going to say it has. If I'm wrong...don't be offended by me opining. Have a great hike. Work out your hike. 100's of people do it as it logistically stands every yr.

The PCT isn't that hard to hike more than 10-12 miles per day. Your days will be long and you'll have enough time to make the miles. Just get in good condition so you can use all that daylight without pooping out.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Actually, doing shorter mileage days may be just what you need WOB. I think you very well may like it that way! This is a very scenic section of the U.S. and PCT. Unfortunately, many PCTers especially NOBOers have finish line fever and rush through the scenic Pasayten and N Cascades. It's also not all that resupply difficult as some make its seem at your anticipated daily pace.

I'm curious of your agenda. Where are you planning on starting? You could get a trail angel shuttle to Harts Pass. Might even have an outside chance of a vehicle drive through on the nearby hard packed improved gravel road. I'm into hitching but IMHO it would be a slim chance getting a ride back to Harts Pass. I have heard of it being done on very rare occasion though. As said Rainy Pass is not far away. Better to hitch from there.

BTW, you have a damn good trail right in your home state of Kentucky... the Sheltowee Trace. have you considered some of it?

++ New Posts ++