WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I had been wondering about the roller coaster......I'm doing Linden, VA to Harper's Ferry this September (Left off at Harper's Ferry last time). Doing all very short distance days to try to allow for the ups and downs of it all.

I just got off the trail on Sunday at Hot Springs. Started at Fontana Dam mid-morning the previous Monday. Made excellent time while hiking with a female German athlete. 274 miles done!

I just completed NY and CT .....and I stayed at the Bearded Woods Hostel ....it is outstanding and they can do day shuttles so you can slack pack if you want ....
    One of best hostels on the trail
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Journal Entries

Just did Standing Bear to Hot Springs 2 weeks ago. Planning on Hot Springs to Erwin, Tn next month. Erwin to Damascus in the Fall. My wife said I will be about 90 before I get to Mt. Katahdin. That's OK with me!

Just did this a few days ago. Well I did Linden to the West Virginia border because I did all of West Virginia in one trip last fall. Roller coaster is tough but 15 mile days are fine. Made a video of it:

https://youtu.be/l3iOOoit_pU

Leonidas

Head out from Springer on Friday! Not happy with pack weight but we decided to carry all the food for this first go to avoid food drop scheduling. That and doing drops was going to tack an extra $100 on that I would rather spend at the end of the trip celebrating.

Huh, Don't know why I didnt see this thread before. Finishing up sections of Maine this year. Includes the HMW down as far as we can go in 15 days. The goal is to try and meet Rainman at Caratunk before he has to leave. My GF and I have been knocking off sections whenever we have a two or three day weekend. Lookimg forward to tackling the Whites next year, or this Fall, time permitting.

I just finished a 677 mile section from Harpers Ferry to Rutland Vermont. Took 48 days. One more section from Rutland to Katahdin to go next year and hopefully I'll finish the entire trail.

Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I leave Friday. A newbie that's dang excited.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by troubletrev View Post
    Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I leave Friday. A newbie that's dang excited.
    Sounds like we might run across each other, heading out Friday myself. Maximum distance will be Fontana Dam though.

Images

Hoping to do Mason-Dixon line south to Harper's Ferry in October.

My son and I just came home from a section hike between Keys Gap and Front Royal. We'll be back in August to start the SNP! Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead87 View Post
    Springer to Fontana early May with my dog. Did the Smokies 40 years ago.
    Attachment 34427
    Planning our first section hike this month. Going to be based in Fontana village for a weekend memorial for a friend. Dogs in the Smokies? Thought they were banned. Had planned to leave our little hiking buddy at home.

Nice! Best of luck to you. See ya out on the trail!

I'll be continuing north from Watauga lake late August. I'd like to go a couple hundred miles.

Do day hikes count? If so, I'm hoping to do as much of Maryland as possible this year. But I'll be solo; and work schedule means I can't do overnights. So my outings will be park somewhere, go out & back. So in essence, I'll be doing the Maryland section twice (both ways) once I'm done.

Vermont SOBO in September. Hanover NH to North Adams MA

Completed Springer (Approach Trail) to Clingman's Dome in 14 days! It was definitely a strenuous hike, even though I had really prepared myself physically. Side note to others: I say MANY people drop out who had not prepared - and I talked to MANY MORE who had not prepared but were hiking between 5 - 12 miles a day.... I put this out there because at least 7 people told me they planned on hiking 15 - 20 mile days - but it wasn't working out to be that way..... FYI

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterHiker View Post
    Do day hikes count? If so, I'm hoping to do as much of Maryland as possible this year. But I'll be solo; and work schedule means I can't do overnights. So my outings will be park somewhere, go out & back. So in essence, I'll be doing the Maryland section twice (both ways) once I'm done.
    If you are trying to hike the whole trail section by section, then day hikes deffinitely count. When you think about it, a thru hike is just one or two hundred consecutive day hikes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Completed Springer (Approach Trail) to Clingman's Dome in 14 days! It was definitely a strenuous hike, even though I had really prepared myself physically. Side note to others: I say MANY people drop out who had not prepared - and I talked to MANY MORE who had not prepared but were hiking between 5 - 12 miles a day.... I put this out there because at least 7 people told me they planned on hiking 15 - 20 mile days - but it wasn't working out to be that way..... FYI
    Shelb. Glad you got home OK. I'm hitting Manistee in two weeks.
    FIREPLUG

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++