WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Enjoying the read Datto, thanks!

I hope to be in the class of '17
    AT Thru-hiker Wanna-be........goal of '17

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    On another thread here on Whiteblaze is the idea that one would take a Spot device or a Sat Phone when going into the woods -- this, for the current thread, because a hiker named Inchworm got herself lost in Maine on a bathroom break from the AT and eventually died from starvation and dehydration because she couldn't find her way back to the AT from her bathroom break.

What a crazy stupid idea. Just because ONE person got lost that doesn't mean you will get lost. There are thousands of people like Inchworm who work in big companies who can't find their way to the bathrooms and can barely get out of bed without injuring themselves. Those people don't go into the woods and they don't leave the safety of Society ever. They know they're clueless so they adjust and keep close to whatever makes them feel safe.

To take Inchworm's situation as a recommendation to get a Spot device or a Sat Phone is ridiculous -- that will just mess up your AT thru-hike with no value added back. Besides, it's just a bunch of extra weight and you can't eat a Spot device. A Sat Phone -- geez, just take another fistful of cash laying on the front seat of your car, drive down the highway, throw the fistfuls of cash out the window and go back to work on Monday. Forget about the Appalachian Trail -- just go back to work on Monday and do whatever the pointy-haired manager tells you to do every day of your life so you don't ever take any possible risk that you might get a mark.

The Appalachian Trail is one of the most well-marked trails in the world. The chances of YOU getting lost for days because you went off trail to do your bathroom business is so infinitesimally small as to be non-existent. There is much more likelyhood you will be struck by lightning while wading in a lake holding a steel bar to the sky blasfeming God while hiking the Appalachian Trail than there will ever be that you got lost for days on-end after taking a dump.

Don't bring Society with you via a Spot or (most laughable) a Sat Phone on your AT thru-hike. It is a Trojan Horse that will mess you up in the head.

Datto
    Okay, here's where I part opinions with you Datto. Giving advice is one thing, but completely discouraging someone from bringing a device like this is another. If Inchworm had brought her Spot with her, maybe she'd still be here. There's a fine line between offering sage advice and mocking/belittling someone who wants to be safe, especially with a potentially lifesaving device such as this. A lot of successful thru hikers took Spot devices with them. A lot didn't. Is there a correlation? I think not. But if you're in a position where newer, more inexperienced hikers may be hanging on to your every word, understand that 1-technology has come a long way, and 2- not everyone's situation is the same. Maybe it was okay for YOU to hike in 40 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt, but that may not be okay for someone else. I've read many a journal of hikers who started in March and wished they'd brough some kind of traction device (ie Katoolah miscrospikes).

What is discouraging about WB is the preponderance of "hike MY hike". Wear this, don't wear that. Or, "I'm a warm sleeper, you don't need this, only take that". What may work for one person doesn't work for another. That's why there is so many different backpacks/tents/sleeping bags, etc on the market.

You posts have been interesting to read, but like many things here on WB, have a tendency to morph into "do it my way or else face failure". There's more than one way to skin a cat, as I'm sure there's more than one way to hike the AT.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

On another thread here on Whiteblaze is the idea that one would take a Spot device or a Sat Phone when going into the woods -- this, for the current thread, because a hiker named Inchworm got herself lost in Maine on a bathroom break from the AT and eventually died from starvation and dehydration because she couldn't find her way back to the AT from her bathroom break.

What a crazy stupid idea. Just because ONE person got lost that doesn't mean you will get lost. There are thousands of people like Inchworm who work in big companies who can't find their way to the bathrooms and can barely get out of bed without injuring themselves. Those people don't go into the woods and they don't leave the safety of Society ever. They know they're clueless so they adjust and keep close to whatever makes them feel safe.

To take Inchworm's situation as a recommendation to get a Spot device or a Sat Phone is ridiculous -- that will just mess up your AT thru-hike with no value added back. Besides, it's just a bunch of extra weight and you can't eat a Spot device. A Sat Phone -- geez, just take another fistful of cash laying on the front seat of your car, drive down the highway, throw the fistfuls of cash out the window and go back to work on Monday. Forget about the Appalachian Trail -- just go back to work on Monday and do whatever the pointy-haired manager tells you to do every day of your life so you don't ever take any possible risk that you might get a mark.

Datto
    What a pompous azz.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    What a pompous azz.
    Thanks for making me aware -- I had no idea. I shall purposely strive toward improvement so my extended family no longer feels shame.

Datto

I didn't write about the Spot device to be necessarily sensitive nor politically correct. it wasn't meant for Franciscan Monks nor Marjorie cutting hair down the road at Salon 64.

It was directed specifically and pointedly at prospective 2017 AT thru-hikers in-planning so they have an acute awareness of why it is important to inspect everything in their backpack for usability, particularly on their pre-hike prep hikes. It's also for those on a tight budget who don't have the resources to successively spend monies on items in their backpack that have little use for a thru-hiker. All this to avoid 150 thru-hikers showing up to Springer Mountain next year with snake bite kits, cast iron skillets, an axe and radiator hose clamps. There is a relatively known weather window for a northbound AT thru-hike so you don't want to be the thru-hikers in Georgia saying aloud to themselves after the first few days, "I'm only making three miles per day and I don't know why."

No one has to agree with me. Heck, that's what the success of the Internet is all about. Prospective AT thru-hikers can make up their own mind.

As I was preparing to head to Springer Mountain, GA to start my AT thru-hike I had to do my exit interview at the Fortune 1000 company where I had worked for the previous five years. I was surprised to find my exit interview was being handled by a Big Shot in the company -- an Executive VP as I remember -- the guy who was the head of Human Resources.

I'd arrived at the guy's office and the appointed time, shook his hand and took a seat on the sofa in his office. He sat behind his desk and in the next five minutes, we concluded all the necessary questions and paperwork needing to be transpired during an exit interview. The guy then said to me, "I hear you're going to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail?"

I said yes, I was heading there in a few days.

He said back to me, "What kind of skis are you taking?"

The windmills in my head were going round and round thinking, skis...skis. I was trying to figure out whether this was a joke and if he was pulling my leg.

I was caught so off-guard I didn't know what to say so I finally said back to him, "I wasn't planning on taking skis."

He said right away "Of course you are" and turns back to the credenza behind his desk to retrieve a stack of ski equipment magazines. I was then told about all the types of skis there were on the market and which type might be most appropriate for the Appalachian Trail.

I listened to him while saying to myself, "He's serious" and how I was going to lose the remainder of the hour-long time in my life to hear about AT ski equipment. I really didn't want to lose that time but I didn't want to make a bad impression with the guy.

The night before, at his house for my benefit, he had retrieved the ski magazines he'd kept for the past year and had gone through each of the magazines in order to circle the ski equipment I might need.

I really do appreciate it when individuals take the time to go out of their way to help others so I'd decided to play along. When he showed me a catalog page where he had come to the conclusion on what ski equipment would be good for me, I said to him, "So you think that's the one. The right model?"

He said, "Oh yes. These would be the right skis for the Appalachian Trail."

I told him, "Okay, I'll look into those".

Then he turned back to his credenza again and retrieved another stack of magazines -- these being the ones from LL Bean.

Oh no.

That very nice HR Big Shot had also gone ahead, on my behalf, and had sorted through all the gear and clothing in the LL Bean catalogs he'd had on-hand at his house and had circled with a wide felt-tipped marker the right parka I would need for the Appalachian Trail.

it was something fitting for a climb of Everest. The magazine page showing a guy wearing that parka with a big smile on his face. That parka alone must have tallied in, I am guessing, at more than seven pounds and well, with the skis I'd be all set. All-in-all, the weight from the LL Bean recommendations from the HR Guy would have left me no room for food in my backpack.

I said I'd look into those suggestion too.

Finally the meeting came to a close and he was kind enough to neatly tear out all the ski and LL Bean pages from the magazines so I could take them with me when I went home from my last day of work before heading to the AT.

On the way out to my car I'd said aloud something to the effect of, "Another fine day in Corporate America coming to a close."

So I get to Springer Mountain a few days later and start my AT thru-hike the next day. It's a very nice day, weather-wise, to start an adventure. On the second day from Springer Mountain I'd stopped at a shelter near the AT treadway to take a break. Another hiker was already there and I said hello and we did mutual introductions. The other hiker was just finishing eating something from his cookpot and getting packed up so I retrieved a package of gorp type mix from my backpack and started eating. The rush to get to Springer Mountain and the entirety of the adventure had started to sink in. I was looking at the cellophane package of gorp, reading the text on the package, actually thinking of something else when a small advertisement in the corner of the gorp package read, "Win A Ski Trip Instantly".

The other hiker became concerned when I was just about falling down with laughter. To him the laughter came all of a sudden without reason. I was trying to catch my breath to explain to the other hiker why I was laughing but I never reached a level of communication before that other guy hiked out. He'd probably thought I was some kind of lunatic.

I kept that gorp package and sent it back home with other needless items somewhere uptrail. I saw that empty gorp package a year or two ago and it had cracked me up then too -- it's now with other hiking mementos in my Lucky Box (I think) in one of the storage units down the road from my cabin.

Datto

I didn't write about the Spot device to be necessarily sensitive nor politically correct. it wasn't meant for Franciscan Monks nor Marjorie cutting hair down the road at Salon 64.

It was directed specifically and pointedly at prospective 2017 AT thru-hikers in-planning so they have an acute awareness of why it is important to inspect everything in their backpack, particularly on their pre-hike prep hikes, for usability. It's also for those on a tight budget who don't have the resources to spend repetitive monies on items in their backpack that have little use for a thru-hiker. All this to avoid 150 thru-hikers showing up to Springer Mountain next year with snake bite kits, cast iron skillets, an axe and radiator hose clamps. There is a relatively known weather window for a northbound AT thru-hike so you don't want to be the thru-hikers in Georgia saying aloud to themselves after the first few days, "I'm only making three miles per day and I don't know why."

On my AT thru-hike, the AT miles before that and AT miles since, I've seen enough cast iron skillets and hatchets to choke a small blast furnace -- quite of few of those being carried by people claiming to be AT thru-hikers.

As I was preparing to head to Springer Mountain, GA to start my AT thru-hike I had to do my exit interview at the Fortune 1000 company where I had worked for the previous five years. I was surprised to find my exit interview was being handled by a Big Shot in the company -- an Executive VP as I remember -- the guy who was the head of Human Resources.

I'd arrived at the guy's office and the appointed time, shook his hand and took a seat on the sofa in his office. He sat behind his desk and in the next five minutes, we concluded all the necessary questions and paperwork needing to be transpired during an exit interview. The guy then said to me, "I hear you're going to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail?"

The windmills in my head were going round and round thinking, skis...skis. I was trying to figure out whether this was a joke and if he was pulling my leg.

I was caught so off-guard I didn't know what to say so I finally said back to him, "I wasn't planning on taking skis."

He said right away "Of course you are" and turns back to the credenza behind his desk to retrieve a stack of ski equipment magazines. I was then told about all the types of skis there were on the market and which type might be most appropriate for the Appalachian Trail.

I listened to him while saying to myself, "He's serious" and how I was going to lose the remainder of the hour-long time in my life to hear about AT ski equipment. I really didn't want to lose that time but I didn't want to make a bad impression with the guy.

The night before, at his house for my benefit, he had retrieved the ski magazines he'd kept for the past year and had gone through each of the magazines in order to circle the ski equipment I might need.

I really do appreciate it when individuals take the time to go out of their way to help others so I'd decided to play along. When he showed me a catalog page where he had come to the conclusion on what ski equipment would be good for me, I said to him, "So you think that's the one. The right model?"

Then he turned back to his credenza again and retrieved another stack of magazines -- these being the ones from LL Bean.

Oh no.

That very nice HR Big Shot had also gone ahead, on my behalf, and had sorted through all the gear and clothing in the LL Bean catalogs he'd had on-hand at his house and had circled with a wide felt-tipped marker the right parka I would need for the Appalachian Trail.

it was something fitting for a climb of Everest. The magazine page showing a guy wearing that parka with a big smile on his face. That parka alone must have tallied in, I am guessing, at more than seven pounds and well, with the skis I'd be all set. All-in-all, the weight from the LL Bean recommendations from the HR Guy would have left me no room for food in my backpack.

Finally the meeting came to a close and he was kind enough to neatly tear out all the ski and LL Bean pages from the magazines so I could take them with me when I went home from my last day of work before heading to the AT.

On the way out to my car I'd said aloud something to the effect of, "Another fine day in Corporate America coming to a close."

So I get to Springer Mountain a few days later and start my AT thru-hike the next day. It's a very nice day, weather-wise, to start an adventure. On the second day from Springer Mountain I'd stopped at a shelter near the AT treadway to take a break. Another hiker was already there and I said hello and we did mutual introductions. The other hiker was just finishing eating something from his cookpot and getting packed up so I retrieved a package of gorp type mix from my backpack and started eating. The rush to get to Springer Mountain and the entirety of the adventure had started to sink in. I was looking at the cellophane package of gorp, reading the text on the package, actually thinking of something else when a small advertisement in the corner of the gorp package read, "Win A Ski Trip Instantly".

The other hiker became concerned when I was just about falling down with laughter. To him the laughter came all of a sudden without reason. I was trying to catch my breath to explain to the other hiker why I was laughing but I never reached a level of communication before that other guy hiked out. He'd probably thought I was some kind of lunatic.

I kept that gorp package and sent it back home with other needless items somewhere uptrail. I saw that empty gorp package a year or two ago and it had cracked me up then too -- it's now with other hiking mementos in my Lucky Box (I think) in one of the storage units down the road from my cabin.

Datto

It was directed specifically and pointedly at prospective 2017 AT thru-hikers in-planning so they have an acute awareness of why it is important to inspect everything in their backpack, particularly on their pre-hike prep hikes, for usability. It's also for those on a tight budget who don't have the resources to spend repetitive monies on items in their backpack that have little use for a thru-hiker. All this to avoid 150 thru-hikers showing up to Springer Mountain next year with snake bite kits, cast iron skillets, an axe and radiator hose clamps. There is a relatively known weather window for a northbound AT thru-hike so you don't want to be the thru-hikers in Georgia saying aloud to themselves after the first few days, "I'm only making three miles per day and I don't know why."

On my AT thru-hike, the AT miles before that and AT miles since, I've seen enough cast iron skillets and hatchets to choke a small blast furnace -- quite of few of those being carried by people claiming to be AT thru-hikers.

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

That post directly above is apparently from my other four personalities. Lots of talking to myself when I'm hiking.

Datto

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

That post directly above is apparently from my other four personalities. Lots of talking to myself when I'm hiking.
    I do that all the time, because sometimes I need expert advice.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Thanks for writing this up, I really enjoyed reading it.
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Datto
    One of the nice benefits of being a donating member is the ability to edit one's posts. Nice to pay my own way, too, rather than, you know, grazing for free out of an internet hiker box, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    One of the nice benefits of being a donating member is the ability to edit one's posts. Nice to pay my own way, too, rather than, you know, grazing for free out of an internet hiker box, so to speak.
    Yes. I know about that editing capability (and the other handy features). I've been a donating member on WB in the past having first posted relevant information and personalily helping AT hikers on WB well more than a year before you joined. In more recent years I've had to take the annual money I would have used to remain a donating member in order to buy my flak jacket.

Grazing? Don't be silly.

Datto

It was directed specifically and pointedly at prospective 2017 AT thru-hikers in-planning so they have an acute awareness of why it is important to inspect everything in their backpack for usability, particularly on their pre-hike prep hikes. It's also for those on a tight budget who don't have the resources to successively spend monies on items in their backpack that have little use for a thru-hiker. All this to avoid 150 thru-hikers showing up to Springer Mountain next year with snake bite kits, cast iron skillets, an axe and radiator hose clamps. There is a relatively known weather window for a northbound AT thru-hike so you don't want to be the thru-hikers in Georgia saying aloud to themselves after the first few days, "I'm only making three miles per day and I don't know why."

No one has to agree with me. Heck, that's what the success of the Internet is all about. Prospective AT thru-hikers can make up their own mind.

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto

Oh no.

Datto
    really?.....................

Tl;dr . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    really?.....................
    You can't go 24 hours without making this personal again, can you?

Just so you know, I wrote this up quite a long time ago on Whiteblaze and couldn't find it again so it's here again for the 2017 Thru-hikers In-Plannng.. Look it up, come prepared.

Datto

Lone Wolf -- I talked with a long-distance hiker yesterday to ask if she would come to Whiteblaze to assist with a different viewpoint, get involved, pass along her considerable experience and suggestions. She has real long-distance miles, not Pixie Dust miles.

Her comment back to me was this: "I don't go to Whiteblaze."

So I asked her, "Why? There's some pretty good things going on."

Guess what she gave as a reason.

Datto

Hi Datto , Again thank you for posting these tips and your opinions, though some may not agree or think the same way, I find a different opinion from mine or others causes me to question my opinions, there by reaffirming or changing my mind on said opinion.

Cheers

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Chris View Post
    Enjoying the read Datto
    Glad I could help. Hope you have as much fun on your thru-hike as I did on mine.

Datto

Lone Wolf -- I talked with a long-distance hiker yesterday to ask if she would come to Whiteblaze to assist with a different viewpoint, get involved, pass along her considerable experience and suggestions. She has real long-distance miles, not Pixie Dust miles.

Datto
    long winded blows?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    long winded blows?
    Now that is funny!

Datto

Datto
    Now I'm confused, was this a real person or one of the four personalities you said you had?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Now I'm confused, was this a real person or one of the four personalities you said you had?
    Ha, that cracked up three out of four of us (one is hard of reading).

Datto

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++